Past Nova alternates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistNikki

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if any of you attending Nova Dental were first placed on the waiting list as alternates? Or do any of you know the chances of becoming accepting to Nova if I am a high alternate? Nova was my first choice but unfortunately I got waitlisted. By the way is there any sort of appeal that I could try? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Nikki:

There's nothing you could do at this time, but wait. We'll have to complete all the interviews first which will end around mid March. If by then, the incoming class is not filled yet, then we'll go into the waitlist/alternate list. Keep in mind, the waitlist does not usually move much at all. Average only 3 or 4 will come off that list each year.

Good luck.

Hey Yah-E,

I was wondering if u could give me some info? I dunno if you are on the admissions committee or not, but you def seem to know quite a bit...

Anyway, I have a really good friend that I work with, who wants to attend NOVA in the fall....that is his no. 1 choice...he is from Florida and did a pos bacc elsewhere and is working now..

He hasn't heard from NOVA yet and he has called several times, but he has told me that the admissions office has told him that he should be getting an interview any day now....but from what i have heard...he has been told this by the admissions office since end of January.

I do not know his stats...but he is really awesome and knows soooo much...i started not to long ago and he answers every one of my questions and understands a good deal about dental procedures....

Do u know what is the situation with interviews??? and why would they continue to string him along if they already full??

He is a really great guy and I feel really bad if all this time Nova had no desire to interview him...i really feel they would be missing out....

Members don't see this ad :)
Sleepless:

It's not that Nova is "stringing him along" or false advertising. The fact iof the matter is that we simply receive way too many qualified applications year after year and our admission staff is limited. There are only 5 people working on the Dental admissions organizing the applications and only 2 people sorting them out to see who should be invited. If your friend was told over the phone that he's guaranteed an interview, he should've right there and then set up an interview date during that phone call.

He might've misunderstood with whom ever spoke to him over the phone that he's getting an interview. They might've told him that his application will soon be evaluated instead of receiving an interview. I don't believe the incoming class is full yet, but pretty damn close! Nova, I heard has received the most applicants this application cycle. Believe me, your friend is not the only applicant out there feel left out!

Your advice to him should be to have him continue to try to contact Nova Admissions and have him contact Su-Ann and not her secretaries. I strongly believe that your friend is an outstanding applicant, but unfortunately and realistically, there are simply way too many of "them" than seats available.

Wish him the best of luck for me!

Andy

Thanx Andy,

I go into work this Wednesday and I will let him know....he did say that he will have an interview by March....

so like you said, could he actually talk to them and ask them to let him set up an interview despite not receiving a packet yet?

I will have to check to see if he has received anything...he was on vacation for a week....so maybe this week will bring good news=)

but I appreciate your help =)

Last year Sue-ann told me that for the class of 2006 they asked around 20 students on the waitlist to join the class and about 7 took the offer.

If you ask then they will tell you. They told me anything I wanted. They will even tell you what to do to make you stick out for the best chances to get pulled off the waitlist.

Only challenge is to get a hold of them. I found the best was to schedule a time to talk/meet.

One more thing. Last year when I was in Sue-anns office she said they mail more acceptance then seats so you have to compete with them also if you get waitlisted. Last year they sent 10 more acceptances then seats.

Oh yeah, this was in April last year.

They had all but 10 deposits in (10 seats left to fill) and they sent out 20 acceptances.

Thanks for the info Andy. I really hope that it works out because I can't really imagine going to another school. My only problem is that I don't understand why I was waitlisted because I am a well rounded applicant with good stat's. I think that I would have been a great addition to Nova by making a wonderful impact to the school. If you do think of any advice please let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again.