Past Poisons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UT2226

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a feel for where I'd stand.

I, like many people, had a rather awful freshman year. I wasn't focused, didn't know what I wanted to do, and partied hard. I then went abroad for a two-year service mission, figured things out, and came back to school where I am now doing quite well.
The problem is that freshman year GPA is impossible to get away from. In the five semesters I've been back my GPA has averaged a 3.67, but with my freshman year factored in my overall GPA is a 3.3.
I've been working as a medical assistant in a hospital and clinic for 2+ years, shadowed a ton, have great letters of recommendation lined up, am socially literate, published research, actively involved in community service, and have held multiple leadership positions.
I haven't taken the MCAT, but practice tests have looked promising, and a local test prep company consistently helps students get 34+ scores.

What do you think? Am I wasting time dreaming about medical programs because of that haunting GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

you are absolutely not wasting time. You are still in the running for MD programs. If you continue the good work you will definitely get into DO programs.

That's good to hear. Thank you.

Does anyone else agree or disagree?

Members don't see this ad :)

You're in a great place for MD's!
Don't let the overqualified people on SDN scare you off haha
Just keep up the hard work since your freshman year and you'll be golden.
35+ MCAT, apply and send everything in as soon as you can, and you'll have cake. And eat it too :)
Make sure you've got strong ECs (research, shadowing, and volunteering are the basics). Try to get some direct clinical exposure if you can. If not, play up your other ECs.

I've got faith in you

The worst thing you could do is not try and apply because you think you don't measure up. As long as you have a GPA that is beyond 3.6 for 2+ years, then you should just apply already. It is just a ridiculous thought to try and get the overall GPA to beyond 3.5 because it will mean sacrificing even more years of your life to pull it off.

As long as everything else is good which includes the most recent MCAT and have 1+ years in your ECs, then your chances of getting in will be as good as it will ever be. Don't waste anymore of your life span; just apply.

You're at the very bottom end of competetive for most MD programs, but OK for DO. Many schools like rising trends, and so you may have your best luck with the low-teir schools like Rosy Franklin or NYMC, and possibly your state school, depending upon where you live. Aceing the MCAT will help (>30)

If DO's not for you, you might want to consider an SMP/post-bac program.

I'm trying to get a feel for where I'd stand.

I, like many people, had a rather awful freshman year. I wasn't focused, didn't know what I wanted to do, and partied hard. I then went abroad for a two-year service mission, figured things out, and came back to school where I am now doing quite well.
The problem is that freshman year GPA is impossible to get away from. In the five semesters I've been back my GPA has averaged a 3.67, but with my freshman year factored in my overall GPA is a 3.3.
I've been working as a medical assistant in a hospital and clinic for 2+ years, shadowed a ton, have great letters of recommendation lined up, am socially literate, published research, actively involved in community service, and have held multiple leadership positions.
I haven't taken the MCAT, but practice tests have looked promising, and a local test prep company consistently helps students get 34+ scores.

What do you think? Am I wasting time dreaming about medical programs because of that haunting GPA?