Path Programs (tiers)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caedmon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a MS III and interested in pathology. I was wondering if someone could give some examples of some top and middle tier programs.
thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Top tier: Program where you like the location, and get along well with the other residents, and the attendings provide good teaching. A high volume is kind of important for path, which means larger, university-type programs.

Ratings and rankings are subjective and biased, and not always based on things which one would assume are important to a residency (such as teaching, level of responsibility, resident intelligence and desire, etc). A lot of it is based on research funding and # of researchers on staff, despite the fact that this may include dozens of people in the department who are very specialized and you may not come into contact with at all during training.

Therefore, my top tier of programs will be different from those of other folks. But I know you are looking for places with good reputations, and truthfully, there are way too many to list. It's best if you ask for regions of the country. I consider Johns Hopkins, MGH, Brigham, to be the most prestigious in terms of reputation of training academic pathologists. Wash U is also quite famous. (That being said, I know almost nothing about the west coast or the south). But if you are interested in private practice, many practicing pathologists will tell you to look at other locations like Vermont or South Carolina where they train you to be very well-rounded.

Thanks for the reply yaah,

Those are all very good points. I'm definitely not interested in name only, but was just kind of looking for a starting point for programs to be thinking about applying to.

I thought about mentioning my location just after I had posted. I'm in the southeast, would consider staying here but more likely interested in branching out (ie northwest, midwest, east coast) and am most interested in private practice.

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're kind of like me. I am from massachusetts, but have a few connections to michigan and minnesota. No family yet, so I am not really tied to a certain location. So I am thinking about trying a new place in the country to live and work for awhile, although the path programs in my state are hard to beat.

But I kind of looked all over for potential places, with the stipulations that 1) I need a winter, and 2) there are certain places that I want to avoid, including California, texas, and NYC.

I only considered large university-type programs. The smallest places I visited were Dartmouth and Vermont, and they aren't really that small. My top 9 favorite places around the country, in alphabetical order (bear in mind I have an anatomic pathology bent but want good CP training also):

Chicago (U Chi), Dartmouth, Iowa, Johns Hopkins, MGH, Michigan, Penn, Utah, Vermont

I also like UMass but have been in Worcester for enough time now and would like to move on.

I have also heard good things about Univ of Washington although I decided against applying, Wash U, Virginia, Emory, Indiana. Places some people have told me are wonderful, and others have not: Brigham, Duke, UNC, Yale, Missouri, South Carolina, Pittsburgh, Northwestern, Mayo, Georgetown, Vandy, UAB, Cleveland Clinic, Rush, Minnesota (which, apparently, used to be #1 in the country until a couple decades ago).

Best to ask other people if you want to know about california, texas, or NYC as I didn't even start thinking about any of the programs in these places.

There are also fellowships to consider - many programs are desirable because they offer lots of fellowships. Some places might be great places to do fellowships but not residencies. Lots of things to consider.

Yaah:

A friend of mine is thinking of UMass for path. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the program. How is the reputation? Is CP strong there? Your general opinion would be greatly appreciated.

yaah,

thanks for all the info. That's very helpful and strangely similar. I have ties in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ontario (just north of Minn. border, inlaws). My wife desires winter and being closer to her mom. Not so interested in CA or NYC, Texas maybe. Do you know anything about Colorado. I see some chatter about it but no solid info. I have not declared my department yet, so I'm sure I'll find out more about this later, but what does it take to get into top level, or good programs.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92494

I already answered about UMass program - here is the link.

More about the CP: The CP director is making lots of changes and the CP program is becoming quite good. Formerly, there was a lot of independent study but now there is more structure and direction to teaching. The labs are fairly centralized and new, and you get a good experience I believe from the residents I have talked to (I have only directly experienced AP there). The molecular component is also expanding quite a bit. I would still say that the AP component is stronger in the program, but that is true just about everywhere. CP call is not too strenuous but is busy enough to get the needed experience.

You asked about reputation which I had not answered in the prior post - but UMass is pretty well regarded - in my interview travels most people I have met have knowledge of the program and have good things to say about it. The former chairman, Dr Majno, is one of the great scholars in the history of medicine. The attendings in AP are about 1/2 veteran, well-rounded and experienced people and about 1/2 newer, smart, well trained up-and-comers. The teaching is pretty good, there is a good emphasis on it.

I am pretty sure I have posted other stuff about the program too in the path forums - look through the archives.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92494

I already answered about UMass program - here is the link.

More about the CP: The CP director is making lots of changes and the CP program is becoming quite good. Formerly, there was a lot of independent study but now there is more structure and direction to teaching. The labs are fairly centralized and new, and you get a good experience I believe from the residents I have talked to (I have only directly experienced AP there). The molecular component is also expanding quite a bit. I would still say that the AP component is stronger in the program, but that is true just about everywhere. CP call is not too strenuous but is busy enough to get the needed experience.

You asked about reputation which I had not answered in the prior post - but UMass is pretty well regarded - in my interview travels most people I have met have knowledge of the program and have good things to say about it. The former chairman, Dr Majno, is one of the great scholars in the history of medicine. The attendings in AP are about 1/2 veteran, well-rounded and experienced people and about 1/2 newer, smart, well trained up-and-comers. The teaching is pretty good, there is a good emphasis on it.

I am pretty sure I have posted other stuff about the program too in the path forums - look through the archives.
Hi there!

Would you please compare BU program with Tufts?

but what does it take to get into top level, or good programs.

Strong application (scores, grades, LOR, personal statement, all that jazz), some real experience with pathology (having done at least one elective), enthusiasm for pathology, good communication skills during the interview, etc.

I've asked program directors what applicants they've interviewed who were NOT a good fit for their program (or something to that nature), and here's some things they told me:

- Applicant didn't have any experience with pathology
- Applicant accidentally submitted LOR from another specialty so it was obvious that path was their backup
- Applicant did not interview well (if you stare off into space and act awkward, that's not good)

Strong application (scores, grades, LOR, personal statement, all that jazz), some real experience with pathology (having done at least one elective), enthusiasm for pathology, good communication skills during the interview, etc.

I've asked program directors what applicants they've interviewed who were NOT a good fit for their program (or something to that nature), and here's some things they told me:

- Applicant didn't have any experience with pathology
- Applicant accidentally submitted LOR from another specialty so it was obvious that path was their backup
- Applicant did not interview well (if you stare off into space and act awkward, that's not good)

A letter of rec from another specialty means Pathology is their backup? I think I had a letter from a different specialty and that didnt give me any problems. I agree though most of your letters should be from Pathology.

The Doximity ranking seems to be a reasonable place to start. After all it is based on reputation of programs, if that is what you are mainly interested in. You can PM me if you like. Cheers.

A letter of rec from another specialty means Pathology is their backup? I think I had a letter from a different specialty and that didnt give me any problems. I agree though most of your letters should be from Pathology.

Sorry, I meant that the LORs are written *for* a different specialty. For example, all the letters you send to path programs only talk about why you, the applicant, would make a great dermatologist.