Path vs. Pathophys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForceField

Impervious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

May seem like a silly question, but I'm kinda confused on this. At our school they teach us Pathology and a separate course entitled Pathophysiology. And I know everybody says to prepare for Path for boards, using BRS Path, Goljan, etc.

But what about pathophysiology?! Is BRS Pathology basically covering Pathophysiology also? Do I need to do separate pathophysiology questions or look at a pathophysiology text?

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

FF

Members don't see this ad.

ForceField said:
Hello,

May seem like a silly question, but I'm kinda confused on this. At our school they teach us Pathology and a separate course entitled Pathophysiology. And I know everybody says to prepare for Path for boards, using BRS Path, Goljan, etc.

But what about pathophysiology?! Is BRS Pathology basically covering Pathophysiology also? Do I need to do separate pathophysiology questions or look at a pathophysiology text?

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

FF

The boards mainly concentrate on pathophysiology so I d suggest concentrate on that.Goljan in my opinion is the best for this as he inter relates the 2.

If you understand physiology, you can figure out pathophysiology. For example, if you know how the kidney responds to decreased perfusion (increased renin release), you can figure out all of the physiological changes that will occur (increased angiotensis II and vasocontsriction, increased aldosterone and increased sodium/water reabs, potassium excretion).

If you know exactly how something works, you can always figure out what to do when a part of it malfunctions.

Hi Forcefield,

Definitely take a look at both BRS Physiology and Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards. They don't take too long to read (especially the former) and they both explain relevant stuff very well.

-camry

Thanks for the advice everybody.

It just confused me because everybody seems to make so much noise about preparing for Path, but never mentioned Pathophys.

Thanks again.

FF