PATHOLOGIST SHORTAGE IN MIAMI!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thrombus

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Otherwise there would be need to start up a new residency program there right?
LMAO. #Ihaveneverseenagoodjobopeninginmiamithatwouldn'tget100applicants

(this field absolutely sucks and has no leadership and academics are tanking us see below)

Job Description

We are starting a pathology residency program in Miami Florida and will need to recruit for a pathology residency program director. The position will be based in the Miami market as Kendall Regional is the sponsoring facility.
The Program Director of the Pathology is responsible for the leadership, organization, operation, and the general administration of the Pathology Residency Program sponsored by Kendall Regionl. The Program Director establishes the strategic direction of the program and is responsible for the standards, quality and reputation of the Pathology Residency Program. The Program Director is expected to integrate the Pathology Residency Program with physician practice and hospital clinical services in a manner that enhances value and quality, and that promotes an optimal environment for professional practice and medical education. FULL JOB DESCRIPTION AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST
*HEC*

Kendall Regional Medical Center

About the Hospital

Community, Facility, & Organization

A large full service hospital with 600 physicians on staff, providing a complete continuum of care for the residents of Kendall and the surrounding Miami/Dade Area. It is a dynamic facility committed to continual expansion to match the rapid growth and diversity of the community. Emphasis on: ER, advanced diagnostic services, cardiovascular services, pediatric services, maternity and rehabilitative services.

Our hospital puts strong emphasis on: ER Advanced Diagnostic Services Cardiovascular Services Pediatric Services "Kidsville" Maternity Suites Rehabilitative Services

Our Mission: To deliver quality, compassionate, and cost effective Healthcare services, in a safe environment, through operational excellence to our West Dade residents, recognizing the cultural diversity of the Community we serve.

Come live in the MAGIC CITY. Miami offers a variety of community types and a multitude of lifestyle activities. Use the link below to see more about this diverse community on Florida's east coast.

Contact Information
Leiane Bellmore

[Apply Now](Phone)
[Apply Now]

Members don't see this ad.

When I see things like this, I find it very difficult to believe that pathology residencies are perpetuated out of some altruistic motivation, at a financial break-even or loss. Prove me wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
When I see things like this, I find it very difficult to believe that pathology residencies are perpetuated out of some altruistic motivation, at a financial break-even or loss. Prove me wrong.

Agreed.

I love that the hospital places strong emphasis on multiple things like emergency medicine, PM&R, cardiology, and obstetrics--none of which involve oncology. Good luck becoming a competent pathologist training in a program where you don't see any cancer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay Im throwing in the towel, yes the leadership in Pathology is beyond clueless and now actively trying to destroy the field from within...

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed.

I love that the hospital places strong emphasis on multiple things like emergency medicine, PM&R, cardiology, and obstetrics--none of which involve oncology. Good luck becoming a competent pathologist training in a program where you don't see any cancer.
What are you talking about?! You will be kick ass in placenta and POC.

Miami needs a lot of things, but a third pathology residency at a mediocre hospital in Kendall is definitely not one of them.

Ridiculous. Path should have went the way of derm 20 years ago and shut down junk programs nationwide and kept the rate of program growth slow... now its no surprise path has one of the, if not THE worst job prospects in medicine. but i guess cheap labor is too sweet a fruit to pass up.

Academics must be pushing for path residents to do four fellowships.

Lets keep quest and labcorps path mills full!!!

Med students have no business even remotely considering path.

Ridiculous. Path should have went the way of derm 20 years ago and shut down junk programs nationwide and kept the rate of program growth slow... now its no surprise path has one of the, if not THE worst job prospects in medicine

as long as psychiatry and nuclear medicine(if you consider that a field) are around, path will always be no worse than 3rd

as long as psychiatry and nuclear medicine(if you consider that a field) are around, path will always be no worse than 3rd

How about pediatrics? Pay is like 1/2...

Huh...??? Psych & Peds have way more job prospects than Path. Not saying better or more lucrative, but definitely easier for them to choose from a variety of places without multiple/any fellowships. You do have a point about Nuclear Medicine though...

Huh...??? Psych & Peds have way more job prospects than Path. Not saying better or more lucrative, but definitely easier for them to choose from a variety of places without multiple/any fellowships. You do have a point about Nuclear Medicine though...

peds does(and some peds specialties are very lucrative)....psych there are bunches of jobs, but they aren't good and the pay isn't(relative to path) either....

If I had to rank them from best to worst job prospects, I'd go:

1) peds
2) path
3) psych
4) pure NM

Members don't see this ad :)
If best "job prospects" is ONLY reflected by the number of positions available, then yes, peds is the best. Of course that is ridiculous. Other important factors are compensation, quality of life, and difficulty of obtaining the desired training.

Path may relatively fewer positions available, and perhaps there is far more inequality in the field compared to others.

The three with the worst job prospects in the near future:

1) Pathology
2) Gas
3) Radiology

I could easily see Gas taking over the number 1 spot. It's like the frat boys found a way to become doctors. People talk about the bottom of the barrel going into pathology....

Funny gas story that came across the wire today:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...-selfies-sexted-during-surgery-262460071.html

Hell let midlevels take over that field.

Last edited:
The story you posted is an unfortunate story and that physician will regret his decisions. But you can find similar stories in any field. Physicians have to learn to stop competing against each other and band together to support each others interest. Every individual looking to take advantage of physicians are excited to see specialities go up against each and put down each other because it takes the focus away from what they are attempting to achieve....make all of us a commodity....stay focused....comments such as "hell let midlevels take over the field" is exactly what many healthcare business executives want to hear.

Reactions: 2 users
Pathologists are exploited by pretty much every type of doc....uro, gi, derm, fp...etc. No one is fighting for us (partially our fault with the massive oversupply we produce), heck not even the ama. More midlevels equals more biopsies. This will help me keep my job. I will support it in order to stay employed and feed my family.

Pathology is a commodity, the rest won't join us until they are a commodity. Bring on the midlevels or quit the massive overtraining of pathologists (no reason to remotely believe this will ever happen).

We are not on the same "team" when it comes to billing for pathology services.

Pathologists are exploited by pretty much every type of doc....uro, gi, derm, fp...etc. No one is fighting for us (partially our fault with the massive oversupply we produce), heck not even the ama. More midlevels equals more biopsies. This will help me keep my job. I will support it in order to stay employed and feed my family.

Pathology is a commodity, the rest won't join us until they are a commodity. Bring on the midlevels or quit the massive overtraining of pathologists (no reason to remotely believe this will ever happen).

We are not on the same "team" when it comes to billing for pathology services.

Are you involved with CAP or AMA? If not, why? These aren't special people. They consist of practicing pathologists of all sorts (not just evil academic bogeymen) that have the same worries and concerns you do and want to advance the field and medicine. Do what you can to get your voice heard. If you don't want to put that effort in, get used to being perpetually frustrated or being labeled a whiner.

Our fellow pathologists are often our own worst enemies and at the risk of offending you folks, it is very analogous to having your fellow countrymen sell you off into slavery to foreigners.

What is laughable to me is when I see CAP Pathologists who get up on the soap box about GI and Uro etc making money off junior pathologists when they have been doing the same thing (with dire effect) since the early 80s. It's a cruel joke played on the younger generations that the partners that are out there pushing 60 are so vigorously advocating for their continued monopoly on exploitation. What's more sad is the CAP policy makers appear to be going along with it.

Since I'm currently writing from Kendall, Miami, Florida I feel compelled to say this is completely baffling. The hospital in question was a crappy-but-cush (you know the type) all-insured payor population bread and butter place recently bought by UM. All of the complex onc etc still goes to the mother ship as well as the main private competitor (Baptist). I would find it amazing if they had enough patients to start an FM residency, let alone path.

And they have 60, not 600, docs.
http://uhealthsystem.com/locations/uhealth-kendall

Since I'm currently writing from Kendall, Miami, Florida I feel compelled to say this is completely baffling. The hospital in question was a crappy-but-cush (you know the type) all-insured payor population bread and butter place recently bought by UM. All of the complex onc etc still goes to the mother ship as well as the main private competitor (Baptist). I would find it amazing if they had enough patients to start an FM residency, let alone path.

And they have 60, not 600, docs.
http://uhealthsystem.com/locations/uhealth-kendall

welcome to your new field....I have a feeling this is not the first time that you will be baffled by happenings in pathology.

Vistaril is a psychiatrist, not a pathologist, a psychiatrist who hates psychiatry (one of the few given we have the second highest satisfaction rate of all specialties).

I'm only jumping in here to defend my field. Psychiatry is a golden ticket if you love it. Plenty of jobs everywhere (everywhere), starting incomes at or above $200,000 to $250,000 (starting) for full-time work with NO fellowship, and one of the easiest fields to open up your own clinic and charge patients directly. It's wonderful. Ok. Sorry for the sidetrack. Watch what Vistaril says. He has a hate-hate relationship with his own field, and his wife is in GI and he loves the idea of her reading her own path slides and making tons doing that. Just FYI.

Vistaril is a psychiatrist, not a pathologist, a psychiatrist who hates psychiatry (one of the few given we have the second highest satisfaction rate of all specialties).

I'm only jumping in here to defend my field. Psychiatry is a golden ticket if you love it. Plenty of jobs everywhere (everywhere), starting incomes at or above $200,000 to $250,000 (starting) for full-time work with NO fellowship, and one of the easiest fields to open up your own clinic and charge patients directly. It's wonderful. Ok. Sorry for the sidetrack. Watch what Vistaril says. He has a hate-hate relationship with his own field, and his wife is in GI and he loves the idea of her reading her own path slides and making tons doing that. Just FYI.

His wife isn't reading her own path slides, she's just part of a group that pays a pathologist to read slides for them in the name of "continuity of care" or some other money-grubbing BS. No gastroenterologist is legally trained to read any slides. No urologist either. The only clinical field that actually can read their own slides is dermatology, but even they tend to do a dermpath fellowship if they actually want to sign out path slides.

Are you involved with CAP or AMA? If not, why? These aren't special people. They consist of practicing pathologists of all sorts (not just evil academic bogeymen) that have the same worries and concerns you do and want to advance the field and medicine. Do what you can to get your voice heard. If you don't want to put that effort in, get used to being perpetually frustrated or being labeled a whiner.

My complaints are not new or unique (a lot complain on this forum), they have been around for decades (CAP would at least admit/address the problem by now). My time, money, involvement with CAP won't change that. My feeling is my voice would burn bridges in the pathology community. I don't have the voice the CAP wants to hear (heck people on this forum, don't like us telling med students not to go into pathology, poor working conditions, and crappy job market). Frustrated, whiner, or whatever....odds are the future of pathology is very poor.

My complaints are not new or unique (a lot complain on this forum), they have been around for decades (CAP would at least admit/address the problem by now). My time, money, involvement with CAP won't change that. My feeling is my voice would burn bridges in the pathology community. I don't have the voice the CAP wants to hear (heck people on this forum, don't like us telling med students not to go into pathology, poor working conditions, and crappy job market). Frustrated, whiner, or whatever....odds are the future of pathology is very poor.

The problem is not that folks here don't want you to voice your criticisms of the field in this board or at CAP meetings. It's that virtually everything you say is hyperbole and/or flat out a misrepresentation of fact. You and thrombus as well. We all have doubts and concerns and want things to improve for the field. Getting good people to NOT join the field is not the way to fix it, it will have the contrary effect. If those people decide not to join the field based on problems grounded in a truthful assessment of the situation, good on them. I think we all understand the challenges ahead. If they don't pick their chosen field because of statements like "there are no jobs" and "pathologists take PA jobs" and "you have to do 5 fellowships" and "this field absolutely sucks", then many of us are going to have a problem with that.

And btw, choosing to NOT voice your opinion at CAP because YOU think they don't want to hear it and it would "burn bridges" in the community doesn't make you a whiner. It makes you a hypocrite and a coward.

The problem is not that folks here don't want you to voice your criticisms of the field in this board or at CAP meetings. It's that virtually everything you say is hyperbole and/or flat out a misrepresentation of fact. You and thrombus as well. We all have doubts and concerns and want things to improve for the field. Getting good people to NOT join the field is not the way to fix it, it will have the contrary effect. If those people decide not to join the field based on problems grounded in a truthful assessment of the situation, good on them. I think we all understand the challenges ahead. If they don't pick their chosen field because of statements like "there are no jobs" and "pathologists take PA jobs" and "you have to do 5 fellowships" and "this field absolutely sucks", then many of us are going to have a problem with that.

And btw, choosing to NOT voice your opinion at CAP because YOU think they don't want to hear it and it would "burn bridges" in the community doesn't make you a whiner. It makes you a hypocrite and a coward.

For a resident who has no experience in the field you have quite the mouth. To say that you "understand the challenges ahead" is so naive for a resident it is laughable.

His wife isn't reading her own path slides, she's just part of a group that pays a pathologist to read slides for them in the name of "continuity of care" or some other money-grubbing BS. No gastroenterologist is legally trained to read any slides. No urologist either. The only clinical field that actually can read their own slides is dermatology, but even they tend to do a dermpath fellowship if they actually want to sign out path slides.

Well it was my fiance and she is no longer with me, but the sad fact is that even with giving her group getting some of the path's pc money(and thus she), the indian pathologist they were hiring was *still* making more than 275 dollars per hour.

What that means of course is that the PC for pushing high volume glass is too much. If this img pathologist with no special credentials can make 300 bucks an hour to push routine glass and she isn't even getting a lot of the pc....wow, it muct be an overpaid code.

Well it was my fiance and she is no longer with me, but the sad fact is that even with giving her group getting some of the path's pc money(and thus she), the indian pathologist they were hiring was *still* making more than 275 dollars per hour.

What that means of course is that the PC for pushing high volume glass is too much. If this img pathologist with no special credentials can make 300 bucks an hour to push routine glass and she isn't even getting a lot of the pc....wow, it muct be an overpaid code.

The problem is that in a fair system this would not happen. In the current scheme the overpaid codes make up for the underpaid ones. Some practices are entirely built on exploiting this. Biopsies in general are 88305 which is a common code and fairly (or more than fairly) compensated. Some biopsies demand more attention and time than others. However, for a majority of larger specimens like 88307 and 88309 the pathologists really eat it. A tertiary medical center gets a fair amount of the latter two. The reimbursement for an 88307 is not that much more than an 88305 but the work is like 10x as much or more. So pathologists take the good with the bad.

Outpatient GI bilks this system because they only generate biopsies- in particular ones that are very easy to process and read. So while in a hospital you may spend 2-3 days processing a colon resection for tumor and have to review 50 slides and possibly IHC, and maybe 2-3 hours reviewing and signing out a complex case; a pathologist in the outpatient GI clinic could have processed 50 or more 88305s over the same time period and the tissue processing is usually overnight. How do we fix this? Just by lowering 88305 reimbursement, as you suggest, really screws most pathologists who rely on that for making up for their losses on other specimens. You'd have to overhaul everything and re-balance the payment scales. Maybe break up simple and complex biopsy reimbursement. Or in hospital vs. clinics. But what actually happen is they just cut 88305 reimbursement.

Biopsies in general are 88305 which is a common code and fairly (or more than fairly) compensated. Some biopsies demand more attention and time than others.

And the entire CPT coding system needs to be trashed. 88305 is sometimes more than reasonably compensated (GI polyp, Seb K) and sometimes ridiculously undervalued (renal biopsy, bone marrow). A more fair system would assign a code that reflects average time spent on a type of case.

And the entire CPT coding system needs to be trashed. 88305 is sometimes more than reasonably compensated (GI polyp, Seb K) and sometimes ridiculously undervalued (renal biopsy, bone marrow). A more fair system would assign a code that reflects average time spent on a type of case.
Yes. We previously charged a fee for our service. We set the fee. It was called "usual and customary" and there was no real abuse as I recall it. Foolishly, we agreed to give away anatomic path fees because we got so much out of the clinical lab. That was a mistake. Those were the days.

Yes. We previously charged a fee for our service. We set the fee.
Is this similar to global billing? Did your practice increase revenue per specimen by setting this fee or was it done to get more volume by offering a bulk discount?

Foolishly, we agreed to give away anatomic path fees because we got so much out of the clinical lab.
What do you mean "give away"? You went back to the the old billing system...why: just because CP was so lucrative?

Awww vistaril, I'm so sorry your sugar momma left you. My heart is literally breaking over here. Tears rolling down my cheeks.

Now since you have ZERO ties to pathology, how bouts you go back to psych and leave your useless advice out of our forum?

Awww vistaril, I'm so sorry your sugar momma left you. My heart is literally breaking over here. Tears rolling down my cheeks.

Now since you have ZERO ties to pathology, how bouts you go back to psych and leave your useless advice out of our forum?

well my ties to pathology are simply someone interested in the economics of it.

You can be interested in the economics of pathology all you want. I've been reading this forum passively for six years (interesting personalities, good discussions, etc) but didn't feel emboldened to contribute anything until I was actually in the process of matching. I find it really odd that you and Substance, an embittered psychiatrist and Anesthesiologist respectively, and consistently the most outspoken detractors on this forum, despite your almost complete and total lack of experience-- let alone expertise-- in the field.

What was off-putting was when I joined this forum I had no idea who you were and your lack of expertise. As a psychiatrist you are quite possibly in the only clinical field which never, ever even interfaces with pathologists. You were both extremely negative and extremely authoritarian in the dire pronouncements you were making about the field and basically told me I was crazy to be joining it, and you have kept hammering that point home nearly every time I attempt to discuss anything tangentially related to my new field. Now I've been round the block a few times, survived a few years of surgery residency, etc and it will take a lot more than a few misguided comments on an Internet forum to make me reconsider my career choices, interests or motivations. But is it any coincidence that out of the nearly 600 people who are newly matched to a path residency in this country, I appear to be the only one in my entire class to have joined this forum and try to participate in it despite the negativity and skirt-gathering?

What might be an idle, passive interest for you might be significantly harming the field.

Reactions: 2 users
Good point Blonde one. Can we ban those who merely come onto the forum to stir stuff up? Those who have literally ZERO clue what they are talking about yet continue to babble on incessantly, all the while lowering everyone else actual understanding of the situation...

I agree it is borderline trolling...but everybody has a right to express their opinion. A ban would only be justified if they were violating forum rules. And I'm sure you would enforce the harshest of measures to silence them permanently if you could...Tsar Putin

You can be interested in the economics of pathology all you want. I've been reading this forum passively for six years (interesting personalities, good discussions, etc) but didn't feel emboldened to contribute anything until I was actually in the process of matching. I find it really odd that you and Substance, an embittered psychiatrist and Anesthesiologist respectively, and consistently the most outspoken detractors on this forum, despite your almost complete and total lack of experience-- let alone expertise-- in the field.

What was off-putting was when I joined this forum I had no idea who you were and your lack of expertise. As a psychiatrist you are quite possibly in the only clinical field which never, ever even interfaces with pathologists. You were both extremely negative and extremely authoritarian in the dire pronouncements you were making about the field and basically told me I was crazy to be joining it, and you have kept hammering that point home nearly every time I attempt to discuss anything tangentially related to my new field. Now I've been round the block a few times, survived a few years of surgery residency, etc and it will take a lot more than a few misguided comments on an Internet forum to make me reconsider my career choices, interests or motivations. But is it any coincidence that out of the nearly 600 people who are newly matched to a path residency in this country, I appear to be the only one in my entire class to have joined this forum and try to participate in it despite the negativity and skirt-gathering?

What might be an idle, passive interest for you might be significantly harming the field.

a couple points:

1) you are well within your right to make your own decision as to when you feel ready to post here, and I'll do the same for myself. Whether you waited 6 years or 6 days to post isn't really relevant to when I decide to post in a forum.
2) the idea that me or substance or some other poster could 'significantly harm' a field by posting on a message board is laughable
3) Regarding your particular situation, I was rather surprised that someone with an outstanding pedigree and track record and midway through a competitive residency with a promising future would start over at a place in their career where a med student who just matched from st mathews or st lukes or whatever could likely reasonably aspire to(ie about to start an intern year in pathology).....that just seems like a heck of a change. But you're clearly a capable guy to do what you have done in the past.

I think the problem Vistaril is that since literally day one when you started here by posting "How can my sugga momma git more dollarz of her bee-otch pathologist??" (cue Gimme Dat Money Hey Hey), I can guarantee no one is really reading your posts. Meaning you are basically wasting your time and acting as an echo chamber of your own mind.

I think your time might be better spent elsewhere but yes only you can accept that and move on. Listen to your frenemy, Leo, he is a very astute guy.

I think the problem Vistaril is that since literally day one when you started here by posting "How can my sugga momma git more dollarz of her bee-otch pathologist??" (cue Gimme Dat Money Hey Hey), I can guarantee no one is really reading your posts. Meaning you are basically wasting your time and acting as an echo chamber of your own mind.

I think your time might be better spent elsewhere but yes only you can accept that and move on. Listen to your frenemy, Leo, he is a very astute guy.

well as much I appreciate your concerns over my time as indicated by you referencing it multiple times, I'm actually in good shape there.

well as much I appreciate your concerns over my time as indicated by you referencing it multiple times, I'm actually in good shape there.

Seriously though, shouldnt you be thinking of ways to maximize your income now that you are bachelor'ing it up and doing psych? You can make absolutely MAD amounts of cash in psych right now in a good gig where you have minimal work and lots of free time. Check out the California DSH and CDCR. And then check out their pensions at transparentcalifornia website. It is INSANE. Psych is the golden flipping goose. Im talking retiring at 55 with a pension of 150K and free healthcare benefits for the remainder of your days. You can get some super hottie Russian babe to replace that Gastro chick too.

Live the dream bro!!

Reference:
A chief psychiatrist at one of California's overcrowded prisons was paid more than any other state employee in 2010. According to payroll figures, the unnamed physician had a salary range of $261,408 to $308,640 and collected a total of $838,706.

Seriously though, shouldnt you be thinking of ways to maximize your income now that you are bachelor'ing it up and doing psych? You can make absolutely MAD amounts of cash in psych right now in a good gig where you have minimal work and lots of free time. Check out the California DSH and CDCR. And then check out their pensions at transparentcalifornia website. It is INSANE. Psych is the golden flipping goose. Im talking retiring at 55 with a pension of 150K and free healthcare benefits for the remainder of your days. You can get some super hottie Russian babe to replace that Gastro chick too.

Live the dream bro!!

Reference:
A chief psychiatrist at one of California's overcrowded prisons was paid more than any other state employee in 2010. According to payroll figures, the unnamed physician had a salary range of $261,408 to $308,640 and collected a total of $838,706.

I think I've actually read a variation of that article....he was some img from afghanastan who worked like 90 hours per week on average and all that overtime combined with some back pay plus his current salary got him to that level....it was more a glitch in the system than anything that I'm sure they are fixing. But the way california's state govt runs through money wastelessly for public employees who knows.....plus with california you have the insane taxes as well.

I've made my bed...it's not the best, but it's the one I have to sleep in. Something like pathology would have been a much better option just from the number of different ways you can generate income, including passive income which is so often overlooked.

Um no. Without going into details I am VERY familiar with psych compensation in my state. You start at 275K with full benefits and 2 months of vacation+sick per year.

That is simply a FACT.

By comparison a surgeon is lucky to start at 240-250 and a pathologist with 1+ fellowship years at 200.

Pysch is definitely one of the best specialties in medicine right now. And I would take Psych any day and 5 times on Tuesdays over GI.

Good point Blonde one. Can we ban those who merely come onto the forum to stir stuff up? Those who have literally ZERO clue what they are talking about yet continue to babble on incessantly, all the while lowering everyone else actual understanding of the situation...

ha! love the new avatar! :)

Um no. Without going into details I am VERY familiar with psych compensation in my state. You start at 275K with full benefits and 2 months of vacation+sick per year.

That is simply a FACT.

By comparison a surgeon is lucky to start at 240-250 and a pathologist with 1+ fellowship years at 200.

Pysch is definitely one of the best specialties in medicine right now. And I would take Psych any day and 5 times on Tuesdays over GI.

I suggest you look at some of the revenue projections at high volume scoping centers then.......and keep in mind that year 1 isn't everything in a 30 year career.

"Scoping centers" will be destroyed over the next 5 years. GI groups in general are teetering on financial collapse in many places similar to Oncologists...overhead is high and reimbursement is just getting lower and lower.

GI docs, coming to a Kaiser near you!

Ok, I'll play. I love psych!!! Here's why: it's always good for a laugh. A hollow, sad laugh.

My dear friend the psych fellow told me that being a shrink at the VA is an amazingly sweet deal. Apparently you get a nice Christmas bonus every year if not more than 3 of your patients kill themselves that year!

The psych residents in our hospital and their friends the psych PAs, who refer to themselves as "the forever residents," were griping and whining last year bc their department was told to generate $500,000 in savings over the next year. They were so ticked they were being told to see more patients.

I laughed at them. Each department was told to generate 10% of their earnings for the hospital in savings. In path, the highest earning department in the hospital, that was almost $6 million. Savings of $500,000? Over a year? Joke.

I should've gone into psych. Ahhh decisions, decisions. Should I work at the VA, collect my nice bonus if "only" 3 of my patients per year kill themselves, or....shall I get out my rx pad and write some Ritalin for every 3-year-old in America?

Path has it's problems, but at least people don't think we believe in heavy psychotropic meds for tiny children.

Now go away. Meds students absolutely do read this forum. You're a greedy weirdo. Shoo.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll play. I love psych!!! Here's why: it's always good for a laugh. A hollow, sad laugh.

My dear friend the psych fellow told me that being a shrink at the VA is an amazingly sweet deal. Apparently you get a nice Christmas bonus every year if not more than 3 of your patients kill themselves that year!

The psych residents in our hospital and their friends the psych PAs, who refer to themselves as "the forever residents," were griping and whining last year bc their department was told to generate $500,000 in savings over the next year. They were so ticked they were being told to see more patients.

I laughed at them. Each department was told to generate 10% of their earnings for the hospital in savings. In path, the highest earning department in the hospital, that was almost $6 million. Savings of $500,000? Over a year? Joke.

I should've gone into psych. Ahhh decisions, decisions. Should I work at the VA, collect my nice bonus if "only" 3 of my patients per year kill themselves, or....shall I get out my rx pad and write some Ritalin for every 3-year-old in America?

Path has it's problems, but at least people don't think we believe in heavy psychotropic meds for tiny children.

Now go away. Meds students absolutely do read this forum. You're a greedy weirdo. Shoo.

ugh dude, I'm not here in the path forum to defend psych....in fact Im quite critical of it. I'm in the path forum to read and talk about path econ issues

ugh dude, I'm not here in the path forum to defend psych....in fact Im quite critical of it. I'm in the path forum to read and talk about path econ issues

No, you are here to troll and stir up trouble.