Pathologists "contracted" for their work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lipomas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/711947

Interesting article

Some important statements within it:

Many smaller nonpathology practices (especially urology, gastroenterology, and dermatology) employ or contract with a pathologist or pathology practice to provide professional interpretation services (the professional component [PC]), while the technical component (TC) is performed and billed by an independent off-site pathology laboratory.
This TC/PC arrangement can be acceptable, but only under the right circumstances, according to Ms. Wood, whose practice of law focuses on protecting pathologists' rights.
"I have clients being pressed into these arrangements," she said, "where the provider basically says, 'You do the interpretations in our office on our behalf so that we can bill the patients and pay you significantly less."
Some of these arrangements are not operating within the confines of the law, often because the TC/PC laboratory sales representatives "are not telling them the legal ramifications," Ms. Wood explained.
She has observed aggressive marketing of TC/PC arrangements by TC laboratories and promises of unrealistic profits. "One of my clients was offered $17 per interpretation," she said. "The TC lab had told the referring physicians that this is all they would need to pay the pathologist and they were thrilled to go forward."
However, discounted account billing is not acceptable. Under the Anti-Markup Rule, the practice cannot bill Medicare more than it pays its pathologist. "If the practice is not in compliance and it bills Medicare more than it should, the pathologist can also be held responsible because he or she reassigned the right to bill," she said.
She added that some states are now requiring direct billing by the pathologist to guard against these "mark-ups." In Massachusetts, Blue Cross Blue Shield will not pay for "pass-through" billing.

If this is illegal, why does it continue to happen? Is it all about fudging the numbers so that they "discount" the professional component while fully billing the TC?

Members don't see this ad.

The anti-markup rule doesn't always apply though. The first exception being that if the pathologist were to provide "substantially all" of his/her services to the ordering physician's group (>75%). The second exception being the "site of service" provision, allowing a group to perform substantially all of the pathology services within their office. So while I'm not an attorney, it doesn't seem to be too difficult to create an arrangement whereby either the pathologist works almost exclusively for the billing physician's group, or the pathologist has to go to the billing physician's office to read the slides and render diagnoses. In either case, it would seem that nothing in the anti-markup rule would prevent them from doing the billing themselves and paying the pathologist $15 a case.

I know there are other laws that apply and I certainly don't have a full understanding of them all. It seems to me though, that requiring direct pathologist billing is the only way to deal with this (and even that might not work for some reason that I, in my inexperience, am not seeing).

Last edited:
Just remember, there is a shortage of pathologists!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congress puts so many damn loopholes and special circumstances into laws these days they lose all meaning. The current health "reform" bill is like 1900 pages but doesn't even do much except put more people on medicaid and shift money around.

The anti-markup rule doesn't always apply though. The first exception being that if the pathologist were to provide "substantially all" of his/her services to the ordering physician's group (>75%). The second exception being the "site of service" provision, allowing a group to perform substantially all of the pathology services within their office. So while I'm not an attorney, it doesn't seem to be too difficult to create an arrangement whereby either the pathologist works almost exclusively for the billing physician's group, or the pathologist has to go to the billing physician's office to read the slides and render diagnoses. In either case, it would seem that nothing in the anti-markup rule would prevent them from doing the billing themselves and paying the pathologist $15 a case.

I know there are other laws that apply and I certainly don't have a full understanding of them all. It seems to me though, that requiring direct pathologist billing is the only way to deal with this (and even that might not work for some reason that I, in my inexperience, am not seeing).

Yes that is true. If the histology lab is in the urologists office and the pathologist signs the cases out in the urologists office. They can pay the pathologist as little as the pathologist will accept. See the thread with my previous remark about a community practice pathologist being offered to sign out biopsies at 10 specimen with the urologist commenting that he thinks the pathologist is worth 2 per specimen which medicare actually values at 35-40 per specimen and back in the 90s medicare paid 90 for the professional on a 88305. Yes that is correct the PC on an 88305 has been slashed 60-70% over the last 15 years and in the next few years it will likely be cut in half.

1. I'm not aware of anyone doing it for public payors.
2. In house reimbursement is not yet regulated (it could always be structured as an independent contractor arrangement).