Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pathology in First Aid

Discussion in 'Step I' started by ranmyaku, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ranmyaku

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I have read several places on here that the Pathology in First Aid is essentially "not good/not complete". What I want is a little clarification on this.

After having begun my review (using FA and RR path), I have found that the Pathology that is in FA is for the most part complete. I have found that there are diseases that are left out, but what is there is ok. What do others think about this? I have basically been doing FA, and then going back and marking out/cross checking with RR..adding when appropriate (either a detail or two, and then adding the disease processes not covered in FA).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. anesthesiarocks

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    good plan. FA path is fine. It even goes overboard in a few cases(all the vasculitis stuff in the MS section).

4. winsicle

winsicle Member
    5+ Year Member

or you could just completely ignore path, i've heard this is an "interesting strategy" that some people use

5. anesthesiarocks

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you could, but Im sure your score would be lower. If you want to make a 245+(as many here do) you better review path.

Also, I'm sure he didn't miss every path question. He did take a whole year of it this past year. Im sure he remembered some of it without having to study it.

6. domer621

domer621 MS4
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I corrected it for you. ;)

7. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What is your target score?

8. ranmyaku

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    >230

I'm doing a pretty intensive Path review. I hope it pays off.

9. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In that case I would recommend learning pathology beyond the scope of FA, especially basic pathology. I would learn details of common diseases that are in BRS or RR Path, even if they're not in FA.

In fact, I would ignore FA. In my opinion any piece of information that's in it but not in BRS/RR is not worth knowing.

10. ranmyaku

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yeah I've quit using FA path. I was cross referencing the two but now I'm just using RR path.

For instance the last two days I did Cardiovascular review. I did FA first, then I went to RR path and did the Vascular and Heart Chapters.

I find FA path to not be organized very logically, which makes it harder to memorize. I like the outline format of RR path. And since I learned path pretty good the past two years. I am able to make more efficient use of his outline format.