Pathology Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you have a program that has a 2-3 day cutting/previewing/sign-out cycle, they may not have any PA's. Day 1 = resident cuts. Day 2 = resident previews. Day 3 = resident signs out with attending. If you have enough residents overlapping then there is no PA. BIDMC does this (or at least did), and had zero trained PA's. They had college-age kids transferring biopsies from container to cassette, but they had no actual PA's. And the reason for that was reportedly that they were not willing to pay for PA's. It may be one of the reasons BIDMC has so many residents even though their surgical #'s are below plenty of programs with far less residents but actual PA's. Anecdote, but it definitely happens out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is some math. and a source:
http://www.medpac.gov/documents/contractor-reports/sept13_residents_gme_contractor.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Sorry for the wall of text. I welcome well-reasoned responses and arguments.

Let's assume then that it is indeed easier & more practical to hire PAs rather than residents...wouldn't that be a stronger argument for the ease with which residency spots could be cut? I'm not signing some iPetition, whatever the hell that is, but I certainly feel there are too many residents being trained.

Of course, it's not as simple as reducing the discussion to financial burden or gain, or even work load...most path programs have tremendous amounts of prestige intimately tied to their training program--whether that prestige is warranted or not, most PDs and chairs are not willing to simply 'give up' spots out of some real or perceived oversupply--why should they close their doors or thin the ranks when other programs could do the same?

This argument has been so thoroughly discussed the horse has long since been beaten, died and petrified. We all know people that had a hard time finding jobs, we all know people that got jobs right away. But I've never come across anyone who felt the market was "robust". The simple fact that pathology is a niche specialty that doesn't warrant tremendous demand in and of itself should be justification for keeping the supply less not more. And considering the rate at which reimbursements have and will continue to decline, that smaller slice of pie isn't going to be more easily divided amongst greater numbers.

Last edited:
Best thing to do is not to be passive, but active: stop complaining, stop ranting, and take your professional future from the hands of academia into your own hands.

Our colleagues in ENT, urology, dermatology and neurosurgery did it long ago. This is why they are now in charge, while we pathologists are still playing a role of meek subservient dummies.

IT IS TIME TO GROW UP !

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, it's not as simple as reducing the discussion to financial burden or gain, or even work load...most path programs have tremendous amounts of prestige intimately tied to their training program--whether that prestige is warranted or not, most PDs and chairs are not willing to simply 'give up' spots out of some real or perceived oversupply--why should they close their doors or thin the ranks when other programs could do the same?

My point was not to address the market issue directly, because I agree that the data is at least murky and there is no doubt that our market is very weak compared to other (but not all) medical fields. The point was to directly rebut comments on this board and thread that there is a conspiracy by CAP and academic institutions to hoard residents for their own financial gain. The argument does not make economic sense, as I tried to illustrate. That does not mean institutions are not trying to hoard residents for other, less logical reasons, or simply because they cannot easily adapt to change and there has been little impetus for it. They may be seeing market conditions change for the worse because of reimbursement issues (I'm sure they all have), and may simply not know how to deal with it on a local level without direction from GME or other organizations. For that latter reason, this change does have to come from the top, and I agree with Yaah's statements that the underlying assumptions about how the path market works need to be revisited in light of major reimbursement changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
... this change does have to come from the top, and I agree with Yaah's statements that the underlying assumptions about how the path market works need to be revisited in light of major reimbursement changes.
Agreed.

Best thing is not to change careers, but to force teaching hospitals to stop hyperinflation.
Our colleagues in ENT, dermatology, urology and neurosurgery did it long time ago.

IT IS TIME TO GROW UP, TAKE FUTURE IN YOUR HANDS AND ACT ACCORDINGLY.

It is not a china town, and we are not Jack... it is USA and we are doctors with more money than our colleagues in academia. We can do it.

The change will never come from the top... You live in la la land.... We will have to force the change...

Last edited:

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-17_17-10-43.png
    upload_2015-3-17_17-10-43.png
    287.5 KB · Views: 62
While everyone is struggling, pathologist in academia are dreaming about NON EXISTENT SHORTAGE...

Last edited:
If reimbursements drop more, training will decrease...got to make cuts if you believe training is a money loser (i don't). This would make economic sense. (the goal of every govt program is to look underfunded, why would you try for the opposite picture???)

Either way no shortage...some more recent testimonials. Nice to show real life situations for pathologists looking for work. All this while currently in a shortage per academics, cap, ascp...etc.!!!!!

"I can happily let you know that we received over 80 applications in the first three weeks."

"We had an excellent response with over 80 applicants"

"This was the biggest response I've had to an ad I've posted with you."

Yep, that retirement cliff is really coming. Stop the lies!!!

People in academia are telling us that the highest % of physicians age 55 + is in pathology. But they forget to tell us that this does not mean that older pathologist will retire to make space for younger.
I know many pathologist age 70+ who are still working.
1) Any data about average retirement age for pathologists versus rest of physicians ?
2) Any data of how many surgicals per 100K people are submitted today compared to 10 and 20 years ago ?
3) Any data of how many surgicals per pathologist are on average signed out today compared to 10 t0 20 years ago ?
4) Any data of how many pathologists are under or unemployed ?
5) Any data of how many pathologists actually retire per year ?

Last edited:
The best thing to do for anyone who wants to try and decrease the overtraining that occurs in pathology is to publish articles which repudiate the fallacy that the job market in pathology is OK or that a shortage is imminent.

As an example, it would be relatively easy to collate the number of pathology job advertisements per year on the CAP website and compare this with the number of graduating pathology residents each year. Why not begin by presenting the data in a poster at the next CAP meeting.

Once there is published data in the literature the argument is no longer based on anecdotal evidence and will not be as easily dismissed.

Reactions: 1 user
Once there is published data in the literature the argument is no longer based on anecdotal evidence and will not be as easily dismissed.

That's ok, I'm sure that refuting actual data with anecdotes will work just as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bad job market is not only anecdotal, it is felt all over the country. Everyone knows it is bad, but especially Labcorp and Quest.

What are our "leaders" doing?

1) They claim that the retirement cliff is coming only because many pathologists are older. They forget to tell that pathologists can keep on reading slides much longer than surgeons can operate.

2) They compare todays number of pathologist with the number of 20 years ago and forget to compare productivity. When I started almost 30 years ago I signed out 2 thousand surgicals, today I sign 5 thousand surgicals (besides other stuff).

In the past, our colleagues in ENT, dermatology, urology and neurosurgery fixed the same problem by decreasing PGY1 positions. I wonder what is us, pathologist, keeping back ?

What I see, at least in this form, is sarcasm and waiting that someone "from above" will fix the problems for us.

Are we pathologists a special breed of people who are happy to play a role of subservient and meek servants ?

The best thing to do for anyone who wants to try and decrease the overtraining that occurs in pathology is to publish articles which repudiate the fallacy that the job market in pathology is OK or that a shortage is imminent.

As an example, it would be relatively easy to collate the number of pathology job advertisements per year on the CAP website and compare this with the number of graduating pathology residents each year. Why not begin by presenting the data in a poster at the next CAP meeting.

Although I do not think you can assume you know the answers about market questions a priori, I agree with your point- real data is the only way to move the needle with the leadership. True, Rads and other fields responded to their market pressures by reducing residency spots, leading to betterment of their fields, but what kind of data did they have to make these decisions? Anecdotal ravings by anonymous internet posters? BTW, Rads now has the same problems we have. Are they going to reduce residency positions even further?

What kinds of studies would give credence to the notion of market saturation in pathology?

Why don't we use this thread/forum for something positive for once? What study would help prove your point, Older Pathologist? What data will convince CAP to support your claim?

Here are some suggestions from me....

1. Survey many/all graduating pathologists from a fixed time point and measure their actual annual case load broken down by CPT code. Compare to prior years. This, in theory would lend evidence that productivity is not static but increasing. If previous such data are not available, poll for estimated volumes 5, 10 years ago. If productivity IS increasing, this would strike at the heart of the argument that a pathologist shortage is coming, assuming the assessment was made upon the assumption that pathology productivity is stagnant, and volumes will increase. Given that reimbursement has already been affected, these data should already be available.

2. Survey Surgeons about their likely behaviour with specimen submission to pathology services in the event of bundled payments. If surgeons state that they would submit 25% fewer specimens, for example, that would need to be incorporated into pathology work models in the event these policies are put into effect.

3. Track both total pathologist compensation (adjusted by PGY) and their compensation relative to their case load. This may again support the productivity argument- I assume total compensation is fairly consistent over the last 5-10 years, but compared to case load it may be dramatically reduced.

4. Accurately track graduating residents/fellows for jobs data. The ABP puts out annual job data, but it is at best very misleading. They poll residents/fellows in the spring, when most have not yet found work, and it is very difficult to make sense of the data because there is no follow-up. A better plan would be to contact every single ABP PGY 4-8 in December (6 months after the end of the academic cycle), and ask:
A- Did you complete you final year of training in the past 12 months? If no, survey ends. If yes:
B- Did you secure employment?
C- How many jobs did you apply for?
D- how many interviews were granted?
E- Did you secure full-time employment?
F- What is your estimated case volume (by CPT code)
G- How many fellowships did you complete?
H- Did you intend to enter the marketplace, but were forced to do additional fellowships because you could not secure employment?
I- How many job offers did you receive?
J- What subspecialty fellowships did you complete, if any?
K- Is your subspecialty training a major part of your job?
L- Are you AMG or FMG?
M- Do you think your resident training was satisfactory to prepare you to practice your specialty?
N- What is your estimated salary (in $50K increments) - this will only identify starting salaries.
O- did you take an academic position, private practice, or industry?
P- If an academic position was taken, were you offered a professorship or Instructorship?

Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users
Number 2 on that list is the one I worry about. Bundled payments doesn't just mean less specimens received from surgery, it likely will change pathologist behavior ordering immunos etc. All the little tricks many are doing to prop their salaries up won't be there anymore.

I just met a chief of pathology in nearby hospital. He told me that his group lost all GI specimens because GI group opened their own pod lab and was able to get a pathologists who was happy with only 1/5 of 88305 billing code. The rest (4/5 of 88305 and entire technical component) goes back to GI clinicians.

Does not sound like good market when so many of us are willing to prostitute themselves... decreasing the pay for everyone else.

I really wonder what "real doctors" (ENTs, neurosurgeons, dermatologists and urologists) did to decrease training. Did they have to prove anything or they just demanded the change ?

Number 2 on that list is the one I worry about. Bundled payments doesn't just mean less specimens received from surgery, it likely will change pathologist behavior ordering immunos etc. All the little tricks many are doing to prop their salaries up won't be there anymore.
Therefore justification for going to bundled payments.

Well, the ALL CAPS certainly makes your argument solid.

This is an internet discussion forum. If you expect anything substantive to come of anything that happens on here, then you are mistaken.

I recommended signing a petition. I was told on this forum that the change should come from the above and that my letter is only a rant of inept FMG...
Are we pathologists a special group of people that are happy to play servants to "real doctors" and keep our own positions by stabbing each other in the back ? Are we happy to play the role of children while "real doctors" play role of parents ?

Maybe we deserve humiliation.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/oversupply-of-pathologists-in-the-us

Why don't we use this thread/forum for something positive for once? What study would help prove your point, Older Pathologist? What data will convince CAP to support your claim?

Here are some suggestions from me....

1. Survey many/all graduating pathologists from a fixed time point and measure their actual annual case load broken down by CPT code. Compare to prior years. This, in theory would lend evidence that productivity is not static but increasing. If previous such data are not available, poll for estimated volumes 5, 10 years ago. If productivity IS increasing, this would strike at the heart of the argument that a pathologist shortage is coming, assuming the assessment was made upon the assumption that pathology productivity is stagnant, and volumes will increase. Given that reimbursement has already been affected, these data should already be available.

2. Survey Surgeons about their likely behaviour with specimen submission to pathology services in the event of bundled payments. If surgeons state that they would submit 25% fewer specimens, for example, that would need to be incorporated into pathology work models in the event these policies are put into effect.

3. Track both total pathologist compensation (adjusted by PGY) and their compensation relative to their case load. This may again support the productivity argument- I assume total compensation is fairly consistent over the last 5-10 years, but compared to case load it may be dramatically reduced.

4. Accurately track graduating residents/fellows for jobs data. The ABP puts out annual job data, but it is at best very misleading. They poll residents/fellows in the spring, when most have not yet found work, and it is very difficult to make sense of the data because there is no follow-up. A better plan would be to contact every single ABP PGY 4-8 in December (6 months after the end of the academic cycle), and ask:
A- Did you complete you final year of training in the past 12 months? If no, survey ends. If yes:
B- Did you secure employment?
C- How many jobs did you apply for?
D- how many interviews were granted?
E- Did you secure full-time employment?
F- What is your estimated case volume (by CPT code)
G- How many fellowships did you complete?
H- Did you intend to enter the marketplace, but were forced to do additional fellowships because you could not secure employment?
I- How many job offers did you receive?
J- What subspecialty fellowships did you complete, if any?
K- Is your subspecialty training a major part of your job?
L- Are you AMG or FMG?
M- Do you think your resident training was satisfactory to prepare you to practice your specialty?
N- What is your estimated salary (in $50K increments) - this will only identify starting salaries.
O- did you take an academic position, private practice, or industry?
P- If an academic position was taken, were you offered a professorship or Instructorship?

Thoughts?

I think this is great! Maybe your survery could be forwarded to the "New in Practice Committe" (or other appropriate subgroup) of the CAP? They might actually be interested in conducting the survey.

I think this is great! Maybe your survery could be forwarded to the "New in Practice Committe" (or other appropriate subgroup) of the CAP? They might actually be interested in conducting the survey.

I suspect that CAP has a bit of an agenda regarding residency program expansion and FMG overrecruitment. Our job market woes are the talk of most pathologists, but CAP has been going in the other direction for eons. If anything, the danger about conducting this survey is that it would negate the stance of the CAP, and the CAP would not want that.

Therefore, forwarding them survey ideas and then waiting for them to act would probably not work very well.

ASCP might be a better option regarding this survey. The survey they put out currently is, although flawed, a bit more transparent. I would wager that if there were demand for it, they'd conduct surveys similar to the one gbwillner is suggesting.

...or we could just organize and do it ourselves, but that would be a lot of time and effort used and I doubt many here would be up for it.

I suspect that CAP has a bit of an agenda regarding residency program expansion and FMG overrecruitment. Our job market woes are the talk of most pathologists, but CAP has been going in the other direction for eons. If anything, the danger about conducting this survey is that it would negate the stance of the CAP, and the CAP would not want that.

Therefore, forwarding them survey ideas and then waiting for them to act would probably not work very well.

ASCP might be a better option regarding this survey. The survey they put out currently is, although flawed, a bit more transparent. I would wager that if there were demand for it, they'd conduct surveys similar to the one gbwillner is suggesting.

...or we could just organize and do it ourselves, but that would be a lot of time and effort used and I doubt many here would be up for it.

ASCP is fine, too. The problem with the survey they currently do is that it is tied to the RISE, which is (mostly) not going to capture the demographic of highest interest (i.e., people who have recently secured (or tried to secure) a job or who entered the job market recently. I know there is a feeling that CAP has an agenda to dismiss any idea that there are too many training spots, but I really do think that younger members of the CAP are more open minded about this.

You are all talking about some sort of surveys, but no one of you signed petition yet. I wonder why ? Afraid of something ?

You are all talking about some sort of surveys, but no one of you signed petition yet. I wonder why ? Afraid of something ?

Please don't take this personally, but I would not be doing myself or us any favors by signing a petition with so many grammatical errors and rage-filled rants. We are all frustrated by the ridiculous job market and the CAP's complete obliviousness to it, but your survey would do more to harm our credibility than help us.

I am not taking it personally, but would appreciate if you could help with grammatical mistakes. So, would you ?
I am confident, though, that imperfect attempt to change things is better than perfect resignation.

Last edited:
Why is everyone who signed your petition Chinese?....not that there's anything wrong with that.

I noticed one of those "pathologists" was 'Diping Wang'. Have you heard of his cousin...Lee-Ping Wang?

Why is everyone who signed your petition Chinese?....not that there's anything wrong with that.

I noticed one of those "pathologists" was 'Diping Wang'. Have you heard of his cousin...Lee-Ping Wang?

"Diping Wang" sounds like the name of a failed juvenile 90's alternative rock band. Just sayin'.

I think an apology to Dr. Wang is needed from coroner and gbwillner. A five second Google search identifies him as a real person (with Mayo Clinic on his CV, BTW).

I'm not Asian myself, but wasn't that guy with the courage to step in front of a tank in Tiananmen square Chinese?!

Looks like we found a lot of our "petition signers". It's the residency program in Buffalo, where 10/13 residents are Chinese. The kind of program that I'd bet more than a few people on here think should be shut down. Now if that's not irony, I don't know what is...

https://resident.med.buffalo.edu/photo/default.asp?p=54

Last edited:
How come pathologist of "land of free" do not have courage to join ? Afraid of a"big brother" ?
However, AMG are curious who are people with balls and are googling their names... Than, instead of joining, they react with sarcasm... as if sarcasm will help with job market.

Last edited:
How come pathologist of "land of free" do not have courage to join ? Afraid of a"big brother" ?
However, AMG are curious who are people with balls and are googling their names... Than, instead of joining, they react with sarcasm... as if sarcasm will help with job market.

Dude, coming on here, linking to some petition you made that has innumerable grammatical errors and puts forth a weak, emotionally-charged argument, and then insulting us because we made some comments about some of the petition signers is not the best way to make people do what you ask of them. Just sayin'.

Again I'm all for having an independent audit of our field and for closing down all of the FMG mills, but that's not going to happen with a petition like that. If I or anyone else signs that, it means that I support a weak, emotionally-charged argument and I am not careful enough to present it in a way that does not automatically destroy any credibility that I may have had.

The current petition signers, brave as they may be, don't have a lot of credibility to begin with. I would even wager, given the absolute acquiescence of FMGs when it comes to anything, that you're one of their staff at Buffalo or something. Am I right?

One of the best cytopathologist I ever knew was Chinese. Learned a lot from him back in the day. :prof:

Dear 9000:

I am not taking it personally, but would appreciate if you could help with grammatical mistakes. So, would you ?
I am confident, though, that imperfect attempt to change things is better than perfect resignation. Could you please email me edited version to

[email protected]

I would really appreciate.

Become a part of solution. You will feel better about yourself.
Independent audit of our field and for closing down all of the FMG mills will not happen. But, if they cut PGY1 from 600 to 300, many FMG and some AMG would not join.

BTW, CAP wants to increase number of PGY1 positions from 600 to 800. You will have 200 more Chinese joining our profession.

HAVEN YOU NOT REALIZED YET THAT ACADEMIA AND CAP ARE YOUR ADVERSARIES, NOT CHINESE ? It is supply and demand issue, nothing else. CHINESE AND OTHER FMGs ARE MERELY FILLING THE HOLE CREATED BY REAL ADVESARIES WITH THE SOLE PURPOSE OF RECEIVING MORE FUNDS. While community pathologists compete for number of specimens, academia competes for number of residents they train.

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-23_9-57-31.png
    upload_2015-3-23_9-57-31.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Dance Hall Days was a better song from that band.

I noticed Ho Li Fuk singed the petition. I guess many fake signatures on there now?

Maybe someone should start a GoFundMe page and raise money to grease politicians. That is the way you get change.

I ain't signing your petition. You might as well take it down, looks like some people are having fun putting inappropriate sounding Chinese names on there. Ho Li Fuk is pretty funny, whoever did that.

I think an apology to Dr. Wang is needed from coroner and gbwillner. A five second Google search identifies him as a real person (with Mayo Clinic on his CV, BTW).

I'm not Asian myself, but wasn't that guy with the courage to step in front of a tank in Tiananmen square Chinese?!
If that is the case, I do apologize. I thought it was a fake name with a bad pun.

While Chinese residents put their names, Americans, born in the "free world" pooped their pants and use sarcasm as a defense.

Maybe AMG deserve to be replaced by Chinese ? It seems it is gonna happen.

Last edited:
While Chinese residents put their names, Americans, born in the "free world" pupped in their pants and use sarcasm as a defense.

Maybe AMG deserve to be replaced by Chinese ? It seems it is gonna happen.

Doesn't pupped mean give birth? (for dogs, seals etc)

While Chinese residents put their names, Americans, born in the "free world" pooped their pants and use sarcasm as a defense.
Maybe AMG deserve to be replaced by Chinese ? It seems it is gonna happen (increase in the PGY1 positions for pathology is just around the corner)