Pathology Resources for Step1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljl1982

ljl1982
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What resources are people using to review pathology for the USMLE Step 1? I currently have:
1)Robbins Review of Pathology (question book)
2)BRS Pathology (but it's the old edition, should i get the new 2002 edition?)
3)web resources such as webpath (are there any other good high-yield sites?)

4)First Aid Pathology section
5)Underground Clinical Vignettes Pathophysiology volumes
6)Pathophysio. for the boards and wards (more as a supplement)

Any other suggestions?
Does anyone have PreTest Pathology, and is that a useful Board-review resource?

I'd especially appreciate any advice from those who have already taken Step 1 (and done reasonably well :) )

Members don't see this ad.

In a limited amount of time (don't we all have that?), I'd pick one and stick with it until finishing. I wouldn't buy any more. I stuck with reading BRS as a review after my lecture notes and Big Robbins all throughout second year. (Some people used the Robbins Review. I didn't have time on top of everything else, and I knew that BRS was higher yield for me because the more I'd read it earlier, the faster it would go when reading it again a month before the boards.)

If you have time for both of those, by all means read both. Robbins Review is better than PreTest for basic science pathology. PreTest is pretty useful during clinical rotations.

ljl1982 said:
What resources are people using to review pathology for the USMLE Step 1? I currently have:
1)Robbins Review of Pathology (question book)
2)BRS Pathology (but it's the old edition, should i get the new 2002 edition?)
3)web resources such as webpath (are there any other good high-yield sites?)

4)First Aid Pathology section
5)Underground Clinical Vignettes Pathophysiology volumes
6)Pathophysio. for the boards and wards (more as a supplement)

Any other suggestions?
Does anyone have PreTest Pathology, and is that a useful Board-review resource?

I'd especially appreciate any advice from those who have already taken Step 1 (and done reasonably well :) )

yes, i passed step 1 (257). I would get a new brs and memorize it. While doing this use the robbins review questions which are incredibly valuable. do this for the rest of the yr.

if you are in second year then learn as much as u can and be confident that this knowledge is 90% of boards. Don't get sucked into worrying about first yr material during 2nd year; worry about it during the time off after finals and before boards.

any more q's

peace

Members don't see this ad :)
My pathology plan is this:

1. Listen to the Goljan pathology lectures. I have a 25-45 (depending on traffic) minute drive to school and I can get through at least 1 lecture a day just in my car. I plan on starting a rotation where I listen to 1 or 2 lectures a day, get to the end, and then start over. The way I figure it I'll have listened to the whole lecture series 4 or 5 times by the end of the Spring semester. I'll even listen to stuff we haven't covered yet. I listened to some of his lectures before ever starting pathology and I understood them on at least a superficial level and they helped when learning the stuff in school.

2. I've got Big Robbins, Robbins Review, and the Gojan Rapid Review Pathology. I plan to:
A. Read the chapter in Big Robbins that we are covering
B. Read the appropriate chapter from Goljan
C. Work the appropriate Robbins Review and WebPath questions
D. Read all the explanations
E. Re-read the appropriate chapter from Goljan and annotate, paying close attention to material on the questions I missed
F. Now with a good understanding of the material read and annotate First Aid

3. At the end of the semester when preparing for the shelf exam I will re-read Goljan and do as many practice questions from quality sources that I can

4. This should leave me with a very strong path base at the beggining of my Step 1 study period

Discobolus said:
My pathology plan is this:

1. Listen to the Goljan pathology lectures. I have a 25-45 (depending on traffic) minute drive to school and I can get through at least 1 lecture a day just in my car. I plan on starting a rotation where I listen to 1 or 2 lectures a day, get to the end, and then start over. The way I figure it I'll have listened to the whole lecture series 4 or 5 times by the end of the Spring semester. I'll even listen to stuff we haven't covered yet. I listened to some of his lectures before ever starting pathology and I understood them on at least a superficial level and they helped when learning the stuff in school.

2. I've got Big Robbins, Robbins Review, and the Gojan Rapid Review Pathology. I plan to:
A. Read the chapter in Big Robbins that we are covering
B. Read the appropriate chapter from Goljan
C. Work the appropriate Robbins Review and WebPath questions
D. Read all the explanations
E. Re-read the appropriate chapter from Goljan and annotate, paying close attention to material on the questions I missed
F. Now with a good understanding of the material read and annotate First Aid

3. At the end of the semester when preparing for the shelf exam I will re-read Goljan and do as many practice questions from quality sources that I can

4. This should leave me with a very strong path base at the beggining of my Step 1 study period

you must not enjoy life very much
look outside; there are other things other than path
u define overkill

Well I think the key word in my post was "plan", I never said I did all that, although I'm going to try this next semester. Trust me, I'm the last person that needs to be chastised about overstudying. This last semester I rarely went to lecture, and starting studying for most of my tests 2 days before, and by that I don't me reviewing, but my first exposure to the material was 2 days before the test, and I did fine.

slickrikk said:
you must not enjoy life very much
look outside; there are other things other than path
u define overkill