Pathology Shelf Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellowyellow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember how many questions there were on the Pathology Shelf Exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I think most shelf exams are around 130 questions I believe.

I was supposed to take the path shelf at the end of this summer, but the school changed our shelf policy. Now I go blind into a shelf exam and might get 1 of 4 shelf exams (path, micro, pharm and Intro to clinical medicine)

how does one study?

I've only taken 2 shelves (path and beh) both were 125. I think all shelves are like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
125 questions on every NBME subject exam (not including some of the extra sections that are included optionally on some of them)

Study for the path nbme with BRS path, Robbin's review of pathology, and First Aid (do not forget to study microbiology, which is at least 30% of the exam). In fact, by just studying brs path, first aid micro, first aid path, and first aid pharm you'll be prepared for all four of those exams mentioned (path, micro, icm, pharm).

Anyone know what the national average is on the Path Shelf and the Standard Deviation?

Average is a 70, with a SD of 8...that isn't percentage correct though...that is a scaled score (refer to epidimeology if that doesn't ring a bell)...heheh get it...ring a bell...ahh i am bored. :rolleyes:
some schools report the scores differently.

that link requires a login and password

fwiw, my biochem shelf back in spring '03 had about 220 questions on it. it sucketh something awful....

The scaled average is about 73.5... cause a 73 is 47th percentile and a 74 is 54th percentile. Then an 87 is the 95th percentile. If anyone wants to know other stuff Ill be happy to post the results.

how long has it taken to get back the results for most of your shelf exams? i got the results from one of the shelf exams i took in 1.5 days and i have already waited a week for this last one. is it high traffic time at the nbme or something, i am anxious to know i actually made it to 2nd year.

jwin said:
how long has it taken to get back the results for most of your shelf exams? i got the results from one of the shelf exams i took in 1.5 days and i have already waited a week for this last one. is it high traffic time at the nbme or something, i am anxious to know i actually made it to 2nd year.

Our shelf exams were administered through our medical school, and the results almost always took about 2 weeks to come in

jwin said:

If your department pays more, they can get the results back from the NBME sooner. It took 4 weeks to get our histo shelf back during first year, and only 9 days for our Path and Pharm shelf exams.

Ive taken the Behavioral Science and Path shelfs and got both back in like 2-3 days..

We took the Neuro shelf and got the results back the following Monday.

EctopicFetus said:
Ive taken the Behavioral Science and Path shelfs and got both back in like 2-3 days..

Took the same two exams. Our dept's got them back about 5-7 days later

UCSFbound said:
If your department pays more, they can get the results back from the NBME sooner. It took 4 weeks to get our histo shelf back during first year, and only 9 days for our Path and Pharm shelf exams.

You're right. On the NBME site, it mentions that it usually takes around 9-11 days to get scores returned, unless it's during peak test taking months such as May-June, etc., and then it might take a little longer. If your school so desires, it can pay an extra fee and have the results sent in 48 hours.