Pathology textbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obiwan

Attending Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can somebody review the main pathology texts out there (BRS/goljan rapid review etc)

what is the best one for primary learning during MSII and what is the best one for Step 1 studying

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

if you do a search w/ "rapid review, brs" in the title you'll find plenty of recent discussions on them....quickly though....BRS may be easier to get through quickly for a fast review....but Rapid Review is closer to a complete text and makes sure to include mechanisms for everything as well as correlations to other subjects like physio, micro, biochem, etc

If I may tangentify this discussion: How does Robins Review of Path questions compare to the actual usmle questions? And is Uworld and Qbank of a hard enough level? I ideally would like a source of path (and all other) questions which are harder than the usmle question level.

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad :)
If I may tangentify this discussion: How does Robins Review of Path questions compare to the actual usmle questions? And is Uworld and Qbank of a hard enough level? I ideally would like a source of path (and all other) questions which are harder than the usmle question level.

Thanks for any help!

Robbins Review of Path is very good for board but very much useless for class though. Questions are very similar to the real deal and pay attention to those path questions like which race has the worst prognosis post MI. But most important pay attention in class.

Robbins Review of Path is very good for board but very much useless for class though. Questions are very similar to the real deal and pay attention to those path questions like which race has the worst prognosis post MI. But most important pay attention in class.
I actually thought it was awesome for class.....somewhat overkill...but if you could handle those q's you'd generally destroy the path on our tests.....and as for the boards...robbins was a little harder but great for getting used to long stems and written in a similar format to the usmle

can somebody review the main pathology texts out there (BRS/goljan rapid review etc)

what is the best one for primary learning during MSII and what is the best one for Step 1 studying

thanks in advance.

Primary learning during MS2? I would recommend using the materials that your school provides. I used BRS Path to supplement that material (or organize it better) and it seemed to work quite well.

Step 1? I felt while BRS Path is adequate, it does leave a lot to be desired. Goljan's Rapid Review (while larger) covers more material, integrates more material, and offers much better explanations for the material. If you had to choose between one, I'd opt for RR Path. What I did was to get through BRS Path, find it insufficient, and scramble to finish RR Path in the remaining 3 weeks I had left. There's no doubt in my mind I would have been better prepared for my exam if I had a more complete understanding of the material in RR Path.

Lord_Jeebus, Marr and Taus: Thank you very much for your advice! Really appreciate it!

I vote for Rapid Review path. I didn't use it during the semester, but as I was reading it for boards, I was wishing I had. Not really to memorize everything but just to get familiar w/ the format. It's definitely not vital, in my opinion, to read it during the semester, but maybe if you have time to take a look at it at least a little as you go through, it would probably make going back over it easier. I also looked at brs path and kaplan path, and I thought brs was also good but it didn't have color pictures like RR did, which I liked. Kaplan path is really not very good, in my opinion. Also, if you have the goljan lectures, you can use them with the book and they follow along pretty closely (although the book has extra stuff, as you'd expect).

I haven't gotten my scores back, but basically read it twice and listened to the lectures once, only before my test rather than during the semester. I thought it was helpful, although truthfully, I didn't have THAT many q's on the test that specifically goljan was useful for. That seems to be the exception to the rule, but I think it really helped solidify some concepts before third year, even if they weren't specifically tested on the boards.

does the fact that goljan is entirely in bullet format make it harder to learn

Does anyone here use goljan's audio to follow along in BRS? I heard this gives you the best of both worlds.
I tried that for a little while, but there was just so much stuff he said that I wanted to write in BRS (ie mechanisms, labs, physio, clinical pearls, etc)....whereas its just about all already in RR and is organized in a similar fashion to how he teaches it. Each book likely has some things that the other doesn't, but I was confident that if RR missed something important for the boards...FA would have it.

The first edition of Textbook of Pathology by Dr Vinay Kamal the best book I have ever read
The chapters of this book have been shared with the eminent teachers and young budding residents across the country. Their valuable opinion on various aspects has been taken positively during the drafting of the chapters to meet the need of the young generation of pathologists. This positive attitude towards suggestions for betterment was greatly appreciated by the colleagues and students alike.

An unrivaled collection of clinical photographs, schematic figures, high-resolution gross morphology and light microscopy photographs complement the clear concise text.