Patient education portion if NBEO part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quackquack

Waterloo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Was planning to complete NBEO part 3 sometime this year. Not american trained so it’s been hard getting tips from fellow classmates.

for the patient education skill, im thinking having a rehearsed script of common conditions is a good idea. (Anyone who has completed it, can you confirm it is a sound idea or do they sometimes ask rare conditions? I mean i know my conditions but under testing conditions, i have waaay too much nervous energy. I am definite the person who stutters when unprepared.

also, how do they start you on this skill? I have a lot of trouble imagining a patient in real life randomly go “so, tell me about optic neurits”.... or is it more like they will describe some symptoms and you have to say “ahh, well you are describing a condition called...” etc?

anyway i am trying to compile a list. Feel free to add to it =)

AMD
Glaucoma
Dry eye
Allergic/bacterial/viral conjunctivitis
Optic neuritis
Diabetic ret
Retinal detachment
PVD
Cataract
Iritis

Members don't see this ad.

NBEO is an entry to practice exam in which they examine basic skills that every newly registered optometrist should know so I highly doubt they will test you on rare diseases. Stick to common every day diseases that you are most likely to come across in clinic. The list you have is a good start and it is definitely a good idea to have a rehearsed script!!