Patient - "Starbursting" Around Light Sources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saw a patient recently, 32 y/o WM w/ CC of "twisted ankle", possible sprain. His ankle was only a strain, but when I did a review of systems he mentioned he has been bothered by "starbursting" around intense point or focal light sources. He said it has been going on for about 5-6 years but just recently seems to be worse.

He has a history of 15+ years of amblyopia of the R eye, this eye also has significant astigmatism. His L eye is 20/20 w/o correction, no astigmatism. His uncorrected vision using both eyes is 20/40. His historical IOP has been consistently low-normal in both eyes, usually around 7 mmHg. History of functional myopia and migraines with extended (6+ hours) of up-close work either on the computer or reading. Evaluations by optometrists and ophthalmologists during the intervening years were uneventful.

He indicated corrective lenses do not influence the presence or severity of the starbursting, neither does the light level of his surroundings, nor the time of day or level. He indicated that it is significantly worse in the L eye than the R eye. He indicated that he believes it gets worse when he is tired. Examples of when he sees it are the LED on a TV or video game system or streetlights when viewed from street level.

I didn't have any idea what to tell him. Considering his previous examinations by optometrists and ophthalmologists were nominal, I didn't really have anything to suggest. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Saw a patient recently, 32 y/o WM w/ CC of "twisted ankle", possible sprain. His ankle was only a strain, but when I did a review of systems he mentioned he has been bothered by "starbursting" around intense point or focal light sources. He said it has been going on for about 5-6 years but just recently seems to be worse.'...

1. Uncorrected refractive error
2. Frequently, acute glaucoma doesn't have the halos as one might read in the text books, so I tend to discount their importance in relation to glaucoma.
3. Other differentials are :cataract, corneal edema (if they wear contact lenses), migraine equivalent

Why is he 20/20 OS w/o correction but 20/40 OU w/o correction?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Uncorrected refractive error
2. Frequently, acute glaucoma doesn't have the halos as one might read in the text books, so I tend to discount their importance in relation to glaucoma.
3. Other differentials are :cataract, corneal edema (if they wear contact lenses), migraine equivalent

I could add a few others, but I'm always leary of posting medical info on a public site. I don't want patients to self diagnose and miss something important by not seeing a doctor.

Hmm, I'm wondering if something was recorded incorrectly.

Definitely could have been. To the OP, I replied to your PM. I am assuming you are talking only about the left eye. I could spend days educating on one of my favorite topics: Amblyopia.

SDN is not for seeking medical advice (for yourself or your patients). Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.