Patients, private care thwart Aussie training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canucker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently come across an article in the Medical Post, which is a Canadian publication:

I wonder if any current Australian students can comment on the issues that this article raises. As a prospective applicant to Australian schools I'm very interested in hearing opinions regarding this issue from current students.

Cheers, canucker

Members don't see this ad.

canucker said:
I've recently come across an article in the Medical Post, which is a Canadian publication:

I wonder if any current Australian students can comment on the issues that this article raises. As a prospective applicant to Australian schools I'm very interested in hearing opinions regarding this issue from current students.

Cheers, canucker

The study in the article is flawed but does raise some important points.

'

By Chris Pritchard

SYDNEY | Australian medical students have inadequate opportunities to diagnose patients or perform basic and supervised procedures, according to a new survey.

Researchers blame patients' refusal to co-operate in training programs.

An audit of four major teaching hospitals in New South Wales, which includes Sydney, found that on any given day, about 50% of medical students doing practical training did not have access to patients.

A team from the University of Newcastle, north of Sydney, surveyed 1,960 patients at the nearby John Hunter Hospital, Mater Hospital, Maitland District Hospital and Belmont District Hospital. They found fewer than 250 patients had agreed to be seen by students—too few to provide 500 local medical students with extensive clinical experience.

Aside from patients' reluctance, other factors also contribute to the situation. Dr. Leslie Olson, a senior lecturer in the University of Newcastle's health faculty, which conducted the survey, said elective surgery is increasingly performed in private hospitals rather than big public teaching facilities.

Patients in public hospitals are increasingly admitted and discharged on the same day, giving students little opportunity to observe or practise basic surgical procedures, Dr. Olson said.

'

1) patients anywhere do not want to see students
2) although patients may say they don't want to see students, once you approach them, they may change their mind once they realize what you need
3) it is silly to think one students needs one patient - you often go around in a tutorial group of 4-6 students
4) day surgery does impact the ability of students to see 'clinical signs' but if they spend more time at the hospital or go to pre-admission clinics, they will be able to catch patients before they go in

However - with the increasing numbers of students in medical schools and the increasing number of medical schools open, there is definitely going to be and already are administrative problems in fitting in all the students....

This problem has been occuring for some time now...