Realistic Hopes of gaining a training position in internal medicine Australia as UK trained graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibro95

Reaction score
Hi guys first time poster here! Need some help as I'm keen to make some big life changes but unclear of how realistic my hopes are.

I'm Canadian by citizenship but I've completed medical school in the UK and have just started FY2 here. Personally I feel my time in the UK has come to end as I want a new adventure and better working conditions. Australia!

I understand being apart of the commonwealth grants me the one year in the competent authority pathway. After this how realistic is it for me to get a training spot in internal medicine in the basic training pathway? Ideally I would like to be in suburban hospital/wouldn't mind a city hospital either - really I don;t want to go super rural! Is it a country wise IM ranking system or state wise - are there certain states that are easier as I've not fixed on a certain area yet. Also what timeline am I looking at as I'll be aiming to arrive next August.

I know the college doesn't explicitly say you need PR but I have read people saying it helps? I really want to be gastroenterologist and have already started building my CV for this career path.

Any honest help to these question would be super appreciated.

Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

The demand for competent authority doctors varies by location, but in my region (SE Queensland), competent authority doctors are desperately needed. We actually have a RMO shortage due to COVID and no new UK doctors flying over. Getting a job should not be a problem

Many competent authority pathway doctors are able to gain PR relatively quickly after their 1 year provisional registration
Once you get general registration, you are more or less on an equal playing field with locals - esp if you are a UK trained native English speaker

You can start BPT after you gain general registration +/- PR (im unsure - you would need to check RACP website if PR is a prerequisite to BPT)

AT positions after BPT are always competitive (esp cardio/GI), and passing the FRACP to even be eligible for AT is a big challenge that may need more than one attempt

As you would know, IM training in UK/Aus is very different to IM training in North America - happy to go into this if you need

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The demand for competent authority doctors varies by location, but in my region (SE Queensland), competent authority doctors are desperately needed. We actually have a RMO shortage due to COVID and no new UK doctors flying over. Getting a job should not be a problem

Many competent authority pathway doctors are able to gain PR relatively quickly after their 1 year provisional registration
Once you get general registration, you are more or less on an equal playing field with locals - esp if you are a UK trained native English speaker

You can start BPT after you gain general registration +/- PR (im unsure - you would need to check RACP website if PR is a prerequisite to BPT)

AT positions after BPT are always competitive (esp cardio/GI), and passing the FRACP to even be eligible for AT is a big challenge that may need more than one attempt

As you would know, IM training in UK/Aus is very different to IM training in North America - happy to go into this if you need

Amazing thank you so much! My partner and I were had Queensland on the top of our list-this may just solidfy it! To apply for jobs in Queensland is on the official state website?

Do you recommend any hospitals to target in SE Queensland area?

Amazing thank you so much! My partner and I were had Queensland on the top of our list-this may just solidfy it! To apply for jobs in Queensland is on the official state website?

Do you recommend any hospitals to target in SE Queensland area?
Any of them. It's still competitive to get a job in SE Qld if you haven't worked here before. Getting your foot in the door is more important the first year than location.