Pattern folding problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allstardentist

All-Star
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the second full length test from the blue kaplan book and did pretty ****ty. DAMN the scroller for the RC section was so annoying! Is it like that on the real DAT too? anyways, i think there is an error in a pattern folding problem. I think the answer is C, but kaplan says D. What u guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 11.bmp
    32.4 KB · Views: 110
allstardentist said:
So I took the second full length test from the blue kaplan book and did pretty ****ty. DAMN the scroller for the RC section was so annoying! Is it like that on the real DAT too? anyways, i think there is an error in a pattern folding problem. I think the answer is C, but kaplan says D. What u guys think?

C looks correct to me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i visualized it in 3D and i think D is correct.

i hate pattern folding....i totally see both C and D. i dont see why it couldnt be both, but i have this problem a lot w/ pattern folding

BentalScholar said:
Agreed, it is D. The reason C is wrong is because the sequence is not possible, it is reversed.

I agree with D as well... after you fold the object, you have to flip it over... Then you get D.

allstardentist said:
dude, i printed that out and folded... its C... D is impossible even just by looking.

C looks correct, D looks correct if you flip it.

look at C and then imagine that you want to hold it and move it. use your right hand to move the figure in C and flip it to the right. it will look just like the figure in D.

Members don't see this ad :)
i do not get that. I get center vertical shaded column and RIGHT vertical shaded column, NOT center and left vertical column shaded as in the choice D.

allstardentist said:
i do not get that. I get center vertical shaded column and RIGHT vertical shaded column, NOT center and left vertical column shaded as in the choice D.

It is C. I printed it out and folded it too, D doesn't work.

There is no way it can be D, if you envision the yellow face to be on top then there must be white on its left side no matter which way it is facing.

Haha....this one is funny. C and D are both correct, but so is A and B. They are all correct. If you dont beleive me cut it out for yourself.

Think about it. Just listen. B is correct just by looking at the top figure. The top of the box is white. The strip down the center is white and corresponds to the far left strip on choice B. The strip directly to its right is white and corresponds to the middle strip on choice B. The strip to that strip's right is yellow(that's the one that is pointing upward) corresponds to the far right strip on choice B, hence B is a correct choice. Now that I've proved that is possible, it should reveal that all of the figures are possible. This is just a poorly made problem.

*Remember that once an object is folded, it can be rotated in any direction to get your answer. I think many of you guys are forgetting that.

Cut it out for youself and remember to fold into the computer screen. Haha, that was fun. I love pattern folding.

tinman831 said:
D can be eliminated right from the beginning. In the unfolded form, u can see that the thinner yellow strip has a thick white strip placed next to it. In the answer choices, D has a yellow strip to the left.

Tinman, you have to try cutting it out. It'll quickly reverse your answer.

dnguyen said:
Tinman, you have to try cutting it out. It'll quickly reverse your answer.

Look at all the answer choices, you see that the sides facing you, from left to right, are thick, thin, and thick strips. If you fold the object up and the top is yellow, you will have a thick white strip, thin yellow strip, then thick yellow strip on the sides facing you. The answer D has a thick yellow strip on the left, so D is eliminated. A and B can also be eliminated as well. C is the only correct answer.

dnguyen said:
Haha....this one is funny. C and D are both correct, but so is A and B. They are all correct. If you dont beleive me cut it out for yourself.

Think about it. Just listen. B is correct just by looking at the top figure. The top of the box is white. The strip down the center is white and corresponds to the far left strip on choice B. The strip directly to its right is white and corresponds to the middle strip on choice B. The strip to that strip's right is yellow(that's the one that is pointing upward) corresponds to the far right strip on choice B, hence B is a correct choice. Now that I've proved that is possible, it should reveal that all of the figures are possible. This is just a poorly made problem.

*Remember that once an object is folded, it can be rotated in any direction to get your answer. I think many of you guys are forgetting that.

Cut it out for youself and remember to fold into the computer screen. Haha, that was fun. I love pattern folding.
Are you sure ... you asked that question for your friend? :p
I vote C for ... California!

Hmmm...you guys are right, I didnt notice they are of different thicknesses. Sly devils... That's easy then, C it is. Sorry Tinman....makes me wonder how I ever got a 23 on the PAT.

tinman831 said:
I think the problem people are having is that they're assuming all the sides of the object are the same (which they are not).

EXACTLY!!! There are thin strips and then there are the thicker strips....