Pattern Folding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBP12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pattern folding is killing me. I've tried the strategy in Ari's videos and am just doing the bootcamp generator for pattern folding but I'm barely getting like a third to a half right.

I try looking at certain pieces and fitting them to see if certain things are possible but in some cases it's just too hard when the shapes are rotated so much. I feel like there is no formula or equation for solving these which is why I am having trouble with it...

Hole punching, cube counting, and even TFE are pretty easy for me. Angle ranking is getting better. But pattern folding is messing with me.

Members don't see this ad.

Half of the problems you will get is literally just picking out one shape that is really strange and seeing which ones have it.

The other half will be more like bootcamp generators.
The best advice is to do the bootcamp Subject specific tests and Really understand his explainations and then putting into practice. Ari does awesome at telling you how to pick one area and look to the right/left and seeing what color or shape it should be.

there is no formula or equation for solving these

Very true.

This will be difficult to explain through text but I'll give it a shot.

For me, I would look for a certain "truth" and go through the answer choices and see if they met this truth or not. With this method you're looking for the correct answer as much as you're looking for incorrect answers.

"Truths" can vary... but often times It had to do with shade associations. "I know the black side of the triangle is adjacent to a white rectangle"

Hunt down this truth.. often leads to 2 or 3 answer choices.

Then you try to determine the next truth... "white rectangle will have a black rectangle on both sides"

Out of the 2 or 3 remaining choice you more than often find the correct answer choice.

This is pretty much how I approached it.

If you can do o-chem chirality you can do the PAT.

Very true.

This will be difficult to explain through text but I'll give it a shot.

For me, I would look for a certain "truth" and go through the answer choices and see if they met this truth or not. With this method you're looking for the correct answer as much as you're looking for incorrect answers.

"Truths" can vary... but often times It had to do with shade associations. "I know the black side of the triangle is adjacent to a white rectangle"

Hunt down this truth.. often leads to 2 or 3 answer choices.

Then you try to determine the next truth... "white rectangle will have a black rectangle on both sides"

Out of the 2 or 3 remaining choice you more than often find the correct answer choice.

This is pretty much how I approached it.

If you can do o-chem chirality you can do the PAT.
Funny you say that because chirality is the one thing in o-chem I struggle with.

Reactions: 1 user
Pattern folding was my worst section on bootcamp by a mile and I thought it was easy on the real test. Really straightforward- it was just picking out weird stuff and making sure it worked out. Bootcamp was unbelievably hard for me. I'd bomb that section for the most part- it ended up working out on test day. You're good. Try to focus on what you're bad at, though.