pattern folding

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by ATLATLATL, Apr 25, 2007.

1. ATLATLATL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    can ya'll gimme some handy dandy advice for this section...i seem to dwell upon the answer choices for much too long and run outta TIME....i know practice makes perfect....but some input would be greatly appreciated:love:
    i dunno why i keep running outta time towards the end....:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mila

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I used to use process of elimination - I would go through each answer choice and pick out the ones that it couldn't be because the sides didn't match up quite right, then re-confirm the remaining one as the answer...With practice, you get faster at it.

4. slashnroses19

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i turn my head different ways. i look ridiculous when i do it but thats what got me a 20.;)

5. H2OPOLODENT

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    First, a lot of people think this is the hardest or longest section so you aren't alone. Try to build up your speed on the easier sections like cube counting and hole punching so you have more time at the end. These two strategies helped me out the most:

1) For the cube-type problems (based on the orientation of patterns), look at the "corners" where two or three surfaces meet and just try to figure out what those surfaces would look like folded together. This can help eliminate answer choices quickly rather than trying to figure out what the whole box would look like.

2) For the funky shaped boxes without patterns, focus on the most unique looking surface of the box and try to figure out which of the answer choices has that unique face. Usually, there will only be one or maybe two answer choices that have that face so its again possible to figure out the answer without trying to fold the whole box in your mind.

Most importantly, though, practice as much as possible!

6. ATLATLATL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    awesome thanks guys