Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

paxil = birth defects

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by MDgonnabe, Dec 10, 2005.

1. MDgonnabe

MDgonnabe your royal travesty
    7+ Year Member

from cnn.com:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The increase in risk is quite small, but significant enough.

Particularly with Paxil and more commonly, serotonergic symptoms can be seen in infants after delivery. I've heard some psychiatrists talk about crushing and dissolving minute portions of tabs to wean the infant off.

Here's an FDA warning for Effexor.

Since we're on obstetrics, here is a case study showing safety in one patient receiving VNS while pregnant.

4. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just remember to weigh those risks against the risks of having a depressed mom who's not compliant with pre-natal care, etc...

5. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi all! I'm having a deja vu moment here - did I alreayd respond to this elsewhere? Anyway - I did a talk on this and they've actually found a significant impact on the infants when the mother took the ssri during hte 3rd trimester, its a big issue now in obgyn since its so critical to determine a womans risk for ppd prior to delivery to decrease or minimize her chances. There are some ob's that will treat immediately and are very effective at screening - however there are a lot that are still really hesitant to put a mom on anything in the last tri.

The patients I saw in ob were referred out for outpatient psych (^5 to the psych med student!) since I thought they psychs could better manage and decide the severity fo the depressiona nd risk for ppd :)

And back to the studies I read - it was something like 80% had significant withdrawal symptoms by week one post delivery - some ofcourse worse than others but paxil and effexor were bad - sorry I can't really rmember more!