pay so low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting discussion. I work at FDA and actually make in the range that most of you are scoffing at. For me it is worth it because I genuinely enjoy my job and feel like the work is important. Plus government benefits and the work schedule are great. A bit ironic though that new grads are making significantly more than experienced professionals responsible for approving new drugs.

ummm u work for the gov. awesome benefits, gets holidays off and 30 day vac. and can retire after 20 years then work for a drug company (if you choose) b/c they value ppl who worked for FDA approving new drugs (acording to a speaker that came to my school)... i think your "low" pay is well worth it :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the hourly salary for the clinical pharmacist ?

We don't have a designated "clinical pharmacist" nor a clinical manager which is really different from other larger urban facilities. But every one of my pharmacist work as a clinical hybrid staff and also rotate through clinical shift which is 100% clinical. So there is no pay difference other than seniority and merit.

Other places.....clinical pharmacists either make a little more than the staff or same. Really depends on the location and the employer.

Well, the wisest and correct decision financially is to never pay more for school than you would make in a year. But we all know that is basically impossible this day in age (due to so many factors that could be a whole forum on it's own), so I'd say 2:1 ratio should be the ceiling. So, 200K in total debt on an average ~100K Pharmacist salary. Keep in mind that after taxes that ~100K is more like ~60-70K...which is why I think 200K should really be the max and is technically not even 2:1 on net pay. I'm sure many on this forum would even argue that 200K is too high, and I couldn't necessarily disagree with them.

The way health care is going especially pharmacy I would not pay out more than half my first years salary for my education. Any more than that is crazy and setting yourself up for failure. If it is not possible to go to pharmacy school for four years for 50k to 60 k then there is a big problem.

For our class the rule of thumb was to borrow 1 year worth of salary...our expected salary was 60k and I borrowed 50k.
I still agree with this rule of thumb. Actually, I see several reasons and trends that should compel one to borrow LESS than the expected salary.

- High student loan interest rates (6.8%)
- Questionable quality of education at some schools
- Possible unemployment, especially immediately after graduation
- No more sign on bonuses
- Reduced hourly rate, reduced hours
- Greater participation in residencies (lower earnings, and the following point: )
- Graduating at an older age due to Bachelors degree + PharmD

Borrowing more than the expected salary would require sacrifices later on, or some creative, yet sound, financial planning. So, if you are borrowing more than 1 year's salary, what is your financial plan? If you're going to say PSLF, then what's your plan if it doesn't work out?

Also, if you borrowed more than 1 year's salary and have already paid it off, perhaps you would like to share how you did it.

Anyone have any tips on how to borrow less? I'll be attending my cheapest state school which is going to be around 80k for tuition... that's not including cost of living. I'd love to borrow less but all I'm coming up with so far is hoping I get some scholarships and looking into doing some research for $$/Credits. Maybe TAing? But none of these things can be guaranteed..

Anyone have any tips on how to borrow less? I'll be attending my cheapest state school which is going to be around 80k for tuition... that's not including cost of living. I'd love to borrow less but all I'm coming up with so far is hoping I get some scholarships and looking into doing some research for $$/Credits. Maybe TAing? But none of these things can be guaranteed..

16-20 hrs/week internships should be enough to cover non-tuition costs if you are in the Midwest. You will likely start out retail first, but keep applying to hospital ones. Having both internships give you more career options and make it easier to go full-time during summer to build up a cash reserve.

We don't have a designated "clinical pharmacist" nor a clinical manager which is really different from other larger urban facilities. But every one of my pharmacist work as a clinical hybrid staff and also rotate through clinical shift which is 100% clinical. So there is no pay difference other than seniority and merit.

Other places.....clinical pharmacists either make a little more than the staff or same. Really depends on the location and the employer.
thanks

Does anyone know of any schools that provide tuition reductions during their rotation years? I am only wondering because 4th year is going to be tough for students since they now have fewer hours they can work durin the school year..

Does anyone know of any schools that provide tuition reductions during their rotation years? I am only wondering because 4th year is going to be tough for students since they now have fewer hours they can work durin the school year..

Some schools do but not at USC. Yup, you don't get your rotation list until May and they charge you the full amount so you can work for free.

This sounds about right. My friend graduated in 2011. She got an offer at a hospital for $37 an hour and a offer from Target at near $60 an hour. She hates retail more than anything, but had to take Target b/c the pay difference was so big.

However, for me I would have taken the $37 an hour to work at a hospital. I do not care how much retail paids I hate it.

I've been accepted to Touro College of Pharmacy in New York and the estimated cost of attendance (including transportation/housing/etc.) is estimated at around 70+k per year, which is ~ 280+ for 4 years.

Am I phucked? :(

Take that 280K and buy a beach house. Much better investment and more fun too! ;)