Paying for Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paymaant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im gonna get straight to the point. Are gift aids/grants the only way to earn "free money" to pay for dental school? How do we obtain these? Do we only need to fill out a FAFSA and hope that we earn X amount? If my combined family income (both parents) is $200,000 will we be rejected? How difficult is it to earn a scholarship? Sorry if these questions sound stupid but I am not too familiar with paying for dental school... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Im gonna get straight to the point. Are gift aids/grants the only way to earn "free money" to pay for dental school? How do we obtain these? Do we only need to fill out a FAFSA and hope that we earn X amount? If my combined family income (both parents) is $200,000 will we be rejected? How difficult is it to earn a scholarship? Sorry if these questions sound stupid but I am not too familiar with paying for dental school... Thanks!

lol

zero, zero, and then zero (and this is assuming your family's income is 20k, not 200k)

Scholarships you say? there is the military option, NHSC (very competitive), and few local state ones.

really? i thought most financial aid offices are willing to give some sort of grant to dental students!

Members don't see this ad :)
nope. some schools, nyu comes to mind, do give scholarships, but i dont think they're dependent on need and i'm pretty sure not many are given out. it kind of makes sense, because no one can really afford dental school. even if your parents are well off, its still a ridiculous sum to pay, to the point that most families would be dipping into retirement savings, or taking out a second mortgage. so if schools were giving grants, how would they base who to give them to? (and if your parents make 200,000 i dont think you would even qualify for any need based aid even in undergrad)
as for the fafsa, im actually uncertain. does anyone know if we fill it out to determine what kind of loans and interest rates we qualify for?

Well Im not conpletely sure but when I did my FAFSA for my masters I was independent and didnt put in any of my parents info and was approved for plenty. This is also bc I really am covering it on my own. I plan on doing the same for dental school, if the loans are in your name and you are responsible don't put your parents info. Good luck lemme know what you find out.

thanks for the answers everyone!

I really thought dental schools would be willing to provide us some money. I was reading an ADA guide to paying for school and they said people could be qualified for grants...

Many offer limited merit based scholarships with admissions offers. I had offers that ranged from 2.5k to 10k per year and know larger scholarships exist. That's the closest to a grant I am aware of.

State: Many states have scholarships for students who practice in underserved areas. Visit www.nhsc.hrsa.gov/communities to research opportunities. State dental associations may also have scholarships available.

The American Dental Association has a listing of dental associations, each of which may have information about scholarship opportunities in its state: www.ada.org/ada/organizations/searchcons1.asp. (this link doesnt work)

Institution: Some dental schools offer scholarships, depending upon the school's financial resources. These scholarships are often based on merit or financial need. You should check with the FAO for availability.
(some schools do. nyu gives up to 20 grand. im not sure what the max is for other places, but i don't think its super common or even something to be relied on

Federal: The Scholarship for Disadvantaged Students (SDS) is for students from a disadvantaged background as defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). See page 51 for definition. Funds are awarded to eligible dental schools by HHS. Schools are responsible for selecting recipients, making reasonable determinations of need and disadvantaged status, and making awards. You should contact the FAO for the availability of this award and any special application procedures.
seems like its only resevered for the very poor

Private: Finding outside scholarships requires research and initiative. Businesses, civic organizations, fraternities or sororities, associations, and other groups may have scholarship opportunities available. Some useful websites include www.fastweb.com and www.finaid.org. There are additional resources at the end of this chapter to help get you started, and don't forget to also check with the FAO at your school for scholarship ideas.
these tend to barely make a dent in the cost, at least based on what i've seen http://www.collegescholarships.org/scholarships/dental.htm

Service Commitment: There are service commitment programs from the federal government available for students in the health professions. Acceptance into one of these programs requires that you commit to a period of a service in exchange for the federal government covering the costs of your education.
thats up to you if you want to make a commitment

Work-Study: Some schools may have work-study opportunities for students with financial need. Students work for the dental school on or off campus through this program. Because of the rigorous academic demands of dental school, many institutions do not participate in this program, and those who do only make awards to students who request them. If you are interested in exploring this opportunity, contact your FAO.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks!

State: Many states have scholarships for students who practice in underserved areas. Visit www.nhsc.hrsa.gov/communities to research opportunities. State dental associations may also have scholarships available.

The American Dental Association has a listing of dental associations, each of which may have information about scholarship opportunities in its state: www.ada.org/ada/organizations/searchcons1.asp. (this link doesnt work)

Institution: Some dental schools offer scholarships, depending upon the school’s financial resources. These scholarships are often based on merit or financial need. You should check with the FAO for availability.
(some schools do. nyu gives up to 20 grand. im not sure what the max is for other places, but i don't think its super common or even something to be relied on

Federal: The Scholarship for Disadvantaged Students (SDS) is for students from a disadvantaged background as defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). See page 51 for definition. Funds are awarded to eligible dental schools by HHS. Schools are responsible for selecting recipients, making reasonable determinations of need and disadvantaged status, and making awards. You should contact the FAO for the availability of this award and any special application procedures.
seems like its only resevered for the very poor

Private: Finding outside scholarships requires research and initiative. Businesses, civic organizations, fraternities or sororities, associations, and other groups may have scholarship opportunities available. Some useful websites include www.fastweb.com and www.finaid.org. There are additional resources at the end of this chapter to help get you started, and don’t forget to also check with the FAO at your school for scholarship ideas.
these tend to barely make a dent in the cost, at least based on what i've seen http://www.collegescholarships.org/scholarships/dental.htm

Service Commitment: There are service commitment programs from the federal government available for students in the health professions. Acceptance into one of these programs requires that you commit to a period of a service in exchange for the federal government covering the costs of your education.
thats up to you if you want to make a commitment

Work-Study: Some schools may have work-study opportunities for students with financial need. Students work for the dental school on or off campus through this program. Because of the rigorous academic demands of dental school, many institutions do not participate in this program, and those who do only make awards to students who request them. If you are interested in exploring this opportunity, contact your FAO.