Paying for medical school by doing service work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VardamanBundren

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After medical school in the US, I would like to do service work internationally (e.g., Doctors Without Borders). However, I'm worried that I'll never be able to pay off the med school loans this way.

Do you guys have any advice on how to pay off debts while still doing this sort of service work?

Members don't see this ad.

After medical school in the US, I would like to do service work internationally (e.g., Doctors Without Borders). However, I'm worried that I'll never be able to pay off the med school loans this way.

Do you guys have any advice on how to pay off debts while still doing this sort of service work?

They may do some loan repayment programs, but I don't know the specifics. There are also opportunities if you want to do some service in the US first. There are things like the Health Service Corps that will pay for school if you work in an underserved area in the US for four years. It may require you to put off international service for a bit, but it would make it much more feasible down the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also heard of this. Sounds like a great way to do it, but I'm not sure exactly how supported/recognized it is. :/

They may do some loan repayment programs, but I don't know the specifics. There are also opportunities if you want to do some service in the US first. There are things like the Health Service Corps that will pay for school if you work in an underserved area in the US for four years. It may require you to put off international service for a bit, but it would make it much more feasible down the road.

Huh, I'll definitely look into that. I would like to get involved with international service early in my career if possible, but I think I also need to be realistic about paying off student loans. Thank you!

Huh, I'll definitely look into that. I would like to get involved with international service early in my career if possible, but I think I also need to be realistic about paying off student loans. Thank you!

Here is something that I'm following. The program is just beginning its first year, but the model is strong and there are some prominent names behind it. They offer loan repayment, and I look forward to seeing how the program develops over the coming years.

http://globalhealthservicecorps.org/

How about a navy scholarship and then apply to work on the USNS Mercy or USNS Comfort? That would be paid (tuition and with a salary) medical school and then you could do your international relief work through the Navy for four years and then be free to do more?

I have a question. I'm not trying to be dishonest, but what if I initially want to become a primary care doctor and to get the loan repayment plans, but later decide not to go for primary care anymore? Would they just not give me the loan or just take it away later?

There might be loan forgiveness plans that probably require a significant commitment on your part, and might not be worth it in the end. I know that such things definitely exist for lawyers.

If you're planning on doing things like Doctors without Borders, you should probably do that later on when you are more financially stable. It's definitely a great thing to do, but immediately after medical school might not be the best choice.