Paying for PGSP-Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I never argued against how expensive it is. But their program is very different and empowers the student much more than any of the many programs I've been around. In my opinion this is worth it alone. Plus you have access to Stanford.

I can see though that you have more going for you by the way you blog. Thank you for your manners.

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone of these members of the student doctor network could get into fully funded programs, they probably would not be typing their concerns here. The average member I'm sure is on loans.

Or maybe they just don't want to take a year or two off to improve their application. Most people on here I'm sure could get into a funded program if they got more experience.

Or maybe they just don't want to take a year or two off to improve their application. Most people on here I'm sure could get into a funded program if they got more experience.

Oh I wish that were true. I really think I have the potential to get into a funded program, but I have looked and looked for RA positions with zero luck. Without some research experience (something I wish I could go back in time and tell myself) then I do not see it happening.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, okay, I suppose I should amend that to assuming you have enough research experience to get an RA job or what have you.

But couldn't you do a Masters then?

I did not really apply to any Masters programs (another thing I wish I could go back in time and think about more). The only one I did apply to I found out would not provide much opportunity for research and offers no funding so I would still be digging a whole

heck, i'm finding that i disagree with much of what comes off Jon's fingers, but its mainly because his generalizations don't jive with my experiences.

That's why i first posted. A lot of people are tired of him.

That's why i first posted. A lot of people are tired of him.

As I have previously stated, while I don't agree with every contribution from JS, I find his points to be consistently logical and dispassionate. I find his posts to challenge some of my beliefs in a healthy way, and it has helped bring my goals into greater clarity.

I am one that is not tired of him.

I am a PGSP student and I think everybody on here is pretty ignorant.

To: thewesternsky
It is safe to say with that attitude you might not be too successful anyway.
Also if anyone of these members of the student doctor network could get into fully funded programs, they probably would not be typing their concerns here. The average member I'm sure is on loans.

Jon Snow you've been on here talking crap for a long time. I bet you and the other guy are some fat guys sitting at a PC all day.
If you want to warn people about graduate school then you might have a better attitude about it. Again you and theWesternsky seem like you have low ambition. Anyone that tells themselves this is probably not going to succeed.
I don't read the Star, maybe Newsweek or The Herald!
Tell us who you are, what your degree is, and maybe some other relevant info that would make a person with high intelligence listen to you.

It is funny this guy thinks he is arguing with me. He has no points! Everyone can see that!

A lot of people are tired of him.

you can't be serious...this is a joke, right?

It certainly changed my opinion of PGSP;)

I can't tell from the text in your post the depth of sarcasm here, if any, but felt it necessary to respond. Not having any sense of the PGSP student body, I am hoping that lucmark's remarks are not representative of the whole or the school (God, I hope).

A bit hesitant in this post as I recently said that I'm not really interested in defending professional schools. However, since I'll be attending PGSP in the Fall, I suppose I don't want to be lumped in with those with such a silly stream of logic.

Or perhaps this has, like you, changed MY opinion of PGSP. ;)

while i respect Jon's epidemiological perspective, i also take it as only one of a series of perspectives to consider in an effort to paint the most accurate picture of reality.

for example. take this quote from our man Karl Pearson (pearson's r, pearson's chi squared - that dude). he's an objective sort of fellow, right?

My view – and I think it may be called the scientific view of a nation," he wrote, "– is that of an organized whole, kept up to a high pitch of internal efficiency by insuring that its numbers are substantially recruited from the better stocks, and kept up to a high pitch of external efficiency by contest, chiefly by way of war with inferior races." (source: wikipedia)

Ouch! i am not calling Jon out as a eugenist or anything of the sort, mind you! Just using an extreme example to point out that if you immediately boil it down to 0-9 and stop there, you'll be missing something important. humanity.

peace out

:cool:

Yeah... that is definitely an extreme example.

I can't tell from the text in your post the depth of sarcasm here, if any, but felt it necessary to respond. Not having any sense of the PGSP student body, I am hoping that lucmark's remarks are not representative of the whole or the school (God, I hope).

A bit hesitant in this post as I recently said that I'm not really interested in defending professional schools. However, since I'll be attending PGSP in the Fall, I suppose I don't want to be lumped in with those with such a silly stream of logic.

Or perhaps this has, like you, changed MY opinion of PGSP. ;)

I don't think I can go into detail on what I meant without violating T4C's request, but suffice it to say it would take a lot more than one internet thread to actually change my opinion on the matter.

Socialcog, JS, and Numbereight all are not real students. I just got an email from twenty psych grad students who inform me they have been on here dogging programs for years! These are people that did not get into a program and are pissed! With the economy and everything else going on, anyone with a head on their shoulders can make decisions themselves and can see through blogging BS!

Socialcog, someone who will not put down their name, I bet i don't see you this Fall at PGSP. I'm done typing here.I just felt these nobodies should have someone tell them what is up.

If you think it is not the school for you then think it. To type BS here everyday means you have an agenda. Many people get in to APA accredited schools, and many don't. The ones that don't are often mad forever. They cannot do anything else but blog on the internet.

Anyone that disagrees with what I am saying: the economy is bad, APA accredited programs are good, some are worth the extra money, many of these bloggers are sore losers, people know they are losers, the unemployment rate is much lower for PHDs, one should have a positive attitude abuout life, most of these bloggers are on loans (most students are), and these guys have no real point

Well it is America and people are allowed to have opinions, not matter how ignorant. I want to see where these bloggers are in 5 years. Thing is these people tell us nothing about themselves, so for all we know they will be blogging to the new generation of people passing them by on their way to grad school. Guten tag!

I don't understand this claim of fraud when you can go back to earlier acceptance threads and see when most of the posters here got into grad school.

Oh well.

I've just avoided this thread, personally. Those who do not use reason cannot be swayed by it.

Jon Snow you've been on here talking crap for a long time. I bet you and the other guy are some fat guys sitting at a PC all day.

No one with a brain can argue that the unemployment rate is huge, that's not including people that have never held a job. The felon population is one of the fastest growing in our country. Your arguments have no merit.

If you want to warn people about graduate school then you might have a better attitude about it. Again you and theWesternsky seem like you have low ambition. Anyone that tells themselves this is probably not going to succeed.

Your argument against my comment about jobless and felons make no sense. The unemployment rate is so high and just as Newsweek just said the people with Phds are getting hit the least.

My argument about most members not being in a fully funded program is very relevant. People in those type of programs are not here asking about money problems. Duh!

And it matters if you have been rejected by grad schools, PGSP probably one of them, and you get on here trying to make everyone as sorry as you. Putting worries and doubts in people's minds that are better off than you. Does it matter? Everyone wants good solid information, not from some nobody that is not disclosing their credentials! I don't read the Star, maybe Newsweek or The Herald!

Your comments about my argument help to solidify my point. You argument is circular in reasoning. Anyone here looking for grad schools can see that I'm sure.

Tell us who you are, what your degree is, and maybe some other relevant info that would make a person with high intelligence listen to you.

Thanks. You have said what many wanted to.