Paying for Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycho-matic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am looking to go to pharmacy school in August 2009. I am very concerned because I have a lot of credit card debt with a lot of missed payments and things in collection. My credit score is about 430. Pretty low I know. I'm wondering if the federal subsidizied and unsubsidized loans will be sufficient to pay for pharmacy school and have a little bit left over for living, because I don't think I would be able to get a private loan with my credit and my parents would not cosign. What is the maximum amount one can borrow from federal loans? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Ryan

Members don't see this ad.

The first three federal loans below are dispersed unrelated to your credit rating; An individuals borrowing limit for the HPSL and Perkins Loans are determined by their school. Both are need based. Beyond these sources you would have to borrow from, preferably, Grad Plus or Private Loans. Both of these are effected by your credit rating. Your status, undergrad or graduate, will effect your borrowing limits for the Stafford. For all of these loans except for the private loan filling out a FAFSA is a requirement.

Stafford Loan

Dependent Annual loan limit
Freshman $3,500*
Sophomore $4,500*
Junior or senior $5,500
Independent Annual loan limit
Freshman $7,500*
Sophomore $8,500*
Junior or senior $10,500
Graduate or professional $20,500*

Undergraduate dependent lifetime limit $23,000
Undergraduate independent lifetime limit $46,000
Graduate or professional lifetime limit** $138,500
*For loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2007. **Exceptions may apply to certain graduate students.
Interest rate
For Stafford loans first disbursed beginning July 1, 2006, the interest rate is fixed at 6.8%.
Fees
For loans first disbursed July 1, 2007–June 30, 2008: Up to 2.5% in fees that includes a 1.5% federal origination fee and a 1% federal default fee. There are lenders and guarantors that work with Sallie Mae that pay all or a portion of these fees.

Health Professions Student Loan Program (HPSL)

The HPSL is a need-based federal loan available to qualified full-time medical, dental, pharmacy and other health profession students. The HPSL features a low interest rate and no loan fees.

Eligibility

In order to receive the HPSL, a student must be enrolled full-time in the Medical or Dental Schools. Students must also qualify for need-based Financial Aid. As such, they must be U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents.

Interest Rate
The interest rate of the HPSL is a fixed-rate of 5%.
Loan Fees

There are no fees of any kind associated with the HPSL.
Annual Borrowing Limits

Aggregate Borrowing Limits

There is no aggregate borrowing limit for this program.

Federal Perkins Loan

The Federal Perkins Loan is a need-based loan made by the University. The Federal Perkins Loan requires that the student borrower repay with interest this source of financial assistance. Additional terms, subject to revision by federal regulation, include:

* Zero interest while the student is enrolled in school on at least a half-time basis and during the nine-month grace period following enrollment
* 5% fixed interest rate during repayment
* No origination fee or insurance fee
* Repayment of principal and interest begins nine months after the student ceases to be enrolled in school on at least a half-time basis and generally extends over a 10 year period; payments are made on a quarterly basis
* $4,000 annual borrowing limit for undergraduates; $6,000 annual borrowing limit for graduate / professional
* $20,000 maximum aggregate undergraduate borrowing; $40,000 maximum aggregate for graduate / professional.

GradPLUS Loan

You may borrow up to the full cost of your education, less other aid received.

Interest rate
The Graduate PLUS interest rate is fixed at 8.5%. Some lenders who work with Sallie Mae offer interest rate reductions that may reduce the interest rate to as low as 6.75%.*

Fees
There is a 3% origination fee charged by the federal government. Up to a 1% federal default fee is also charged. There are lenders and guarantors who work with Sallie Mae that pay all or a portion of the default fee for loans guaranteed July 1, 2007–June 30, 2008.

Meanwhile, work on improving your credit score. You should still try for the GradPlus loan before resorting to private loans when the time comes. Good Luck.