Paying for school...opinions please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nutritionfirst

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm doing a master's right now in biochem and molec nutrition (I know my username is corny). Med school is following and I'm trying to figure out how I can get it paid. Debt is nearly inevitable, I realize that. But here's my situation:

Army health professions program appeals due to tuition/books paid for AND I would get ~$2,000/ month for living expenses etc.. (which would keep my parents out of having to dig into their retirement fund to help me out). I would also enjoy serving the time back as a military doc, although I don't necessarily fancy the fact that deployment as a military doc is nearly a 100% certainty.

I could follow in the footsteps of many others and take out loans and pay them back as I begin practicing as a physician, but then that brings up the issue that on top of tuition and books I'll have to also find a way to pay for living. I'd like to think I'll have a job during med school, but I realistically think that won't be able to happen.

Any help from experience would be GREATLY appreciated!
 
First, only do HPSP if you want to be in the military, not because you think it's a good financial decision, which it isn't. HPSP is for people who want to be in the military, not people who want a scholarship. You can find more information all over the Military Medicine forum.

Second, loans pay for cost of living as well, somewhere around 25K/yr, so no need for a job. I had to borrow some from my parents for the initial move and books and whatnot, but after everything was settled, it was enough as long as I was frugle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First, only do HPSP if you want to be in the military, not because you think it's a good financial decision, which it isn't. HPSP is for people who want to be in the military, not people who want a scholarship. You can find more information all over the Military Medicine forum.

Second, loans pay for cost of living as well, somewhere around 25K/yr, so no need for a job. I had to borrow some from my parents for the initial move and books and whatnot, but after everything was settled, it was enough as long as I was frugle.

+1 on military.