Paying Off Student Loans...

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsdary

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if any of you Optometrists out there are employed by a company who helps with tuition reimbursement?

Or, has an employer who helps you with paying off your debt in any way?

If so, what companies do this?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Working for the Public Health Service is about the only program who consistently has a loan repayment program.

Usually involves a commitment to work on an Indian reservation in a remote area.

I'm curious if any of you Optometrists out there are employed by a company who helps with tuition reimbursement?

Or, has an employer who helps you with paying off your debt in any way?

If so, what companies do this?

Thanks!!!

you can get 100% tuition reimbursement by signing up with the army. You must give up 4-8 years of your life after graduating though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Income contingent repayment plans for direct loans offer loan forgiveness after 25 years if there is an unpaid balance. You can read about the details here:
http://www.finaid.org/loans/icr.phtml

There is also a new loan forgiveness program for those who work in public service jobs for 10 years. I was told that this meant working for a non-profit organization, but I don't know what other jobs will qualify. After 120 loan payments, the rest of the balance is forgiven and you're done!

http://www.finaid.org/loans/publicservice.phtml

Definitely take a look into this plan if you're in public service or academia and plan to be there for at least 10 years. You can switch over to take advantage of the loan forgiveness. I'm sure this may also encourage more students to go into public service areas of optometry.

hehe, pick one of the school that has cheaper tuition, SUNY lets you become in state resident after a year...a great financial factor when you considering all the loans you'll be borrowing, and living expenses is not that much if you can find roommates