1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Paying the bills while in med school.

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Matt Norman, Feb 29, 2000.

1. Matt Norman

Matt Norman Member
    10+ Year Member

I have to ask how do all you guys and gals pay your day to day bills while in med school? I am married so the wife can handle most of it but I don't want to have to worry to much about money. Oh and do any of you work at all. Just curios about that. I realise that many med schools won't let you work but was curios about the rest.

------------------
    Love God, Hate Sin

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jawurheemd

jawurheemd xx ToXiC xx
    10+ Year Member

Medical school is no free ticket - that's for sure. For my first two years of medical school, I taught MCAT's at Kaplan. This worked out pretty well -- the pay was good -- starting at about $17/hr -- after teaching a number of classes, I was making $22/hr. The trick was teaching a few classes at a time -- that way, the preparation time for each class is less. Proctoring practice tests on weekends was the true bonus -- it was like getting paid to study while making sure everyone took their test on time. I also picked up a couple of side jobs -- tutoring first year students (some of them my old Kaplan students!) as a second year -- designing web sites. Basically, I just found time to work during those first two years. The clinical years are a little trickier. Evenings and weekends are no longer free territory. I found that I could no longer teach Kaplan, but I could still tutor -- scheduling is easier. No longer raking in the bucks, but still surviving. In the end, I feel that you can work as long as you can manage your time wisely.

good luck,
    James

4. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

Lots of loan money