PBA: What to expect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewRx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These past few days in the news, a hot topic is how long the honeymoon between President-elect Obama and the Americans will last before he start to make very serious decisions. As a P1 at PBA, I can honestly say that the honeymoon probably lasted the one week orientation (and also getting our new tablet pc).

Prior to starting P1, I have met students at PBA, Lecom-B, UF, NSU and we have one thing in common: we are all stressed out!

The work load is a beast and you continually must prioritize your time to be successful. PBA is unique in that we have our own four story building with amazing view of the intra coastal when you are studying. You could see the beautiful mansions and boats (or yatchs) pass by. But don't daydream (or nightdream) too long as the pressure of exams and presentations keep you busy. :laugh:

P1 is of course doable. But I know it is going to get tougher. The only drawback with PBA is that in addition to the rigorous curriculum, you are required to attend a set amount of hours for chapel. However, this is just a small factor and the faculty are just awesome (many are PhDs and others with extensive clinical experience). The school set up a residency program and that should tell you that they are clinically oriented. I love PBA for its standalone building (only pharmacy students) and intimate relationship with students and professors.

Be prepared in your physiology: pathophysiology I here is a 4 credit hour (and goes to 5 later) course. Here is a description of the pharmacy school: HERE.

One more thing: you have to earn the white coat in Spring semester. :p

P.S. When I visited the distance campus of UF, my choice of PBA was all the more appreciated. Also, after I saw how NSU people do not answer to simple application questions, I decided that I was glad I got put on wait list. Lecom-B is a nice 3 story building but that is it. There is nothing else to enjoy and IPPE could be an hour away (you are competing with your own classmates for rotation sites). But a PharmD is a PharmD!

Also, Biochemistry is not part of P1 here because it is a prerequesite. You ARE expected to know biological pathways. Just like you have to know statistics for Literature Evaluation: "A major focus will be the concept of the null hypothesis, the importance of p values, and the difference between statistical and clinical significance and potential sources of error in a scientific study."

Ok peace all! Good luck for those interviewing tomorrow. Too bad I can't interview you tomorrow, I would put 5 (being the best) before you even said anything LOL (sike). Your interview will be first with a student and then a professor. It's a great school and I hope you get in!

Members don't see this ad.

Yah expect a big bill at the end as well...PbA is the most expensive pharm school in Florida

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah expect a big bill at the end as well...PbA is the most expensive pharm school in Florida

I interviewed there last year and I must say that LECOM-B does have a beautiful campus shared with the D.O. students.

By the way, I was only writing about PBA. Wherever you get accepted, CONGRATS. You worked hard for it. I've had many people ask me about PBA pharmacy school and I've always told them what to expect. Some here are doing great, others are getting by. When I interviewed at LECOM last year, students voiced the same opinion. It is a lot of work wherever you go.

PEOPLE, please do not try to compare your application to anyone else because only you have to make yours unique and show you can really handle the challenging work. Everyone who interviews have a great shot at getting in but remember it is not over because they are interviewing other applicants as well for a spot of 75. It is competitive anywhere, so if you intend to waste years complaining how expensive it is, then you may miss out on being admitted.

For me, PBA suits me well. For example, I like that they have a combined PharmD/MBA program, I like that they offer residency for pharmacy students, I like that there are numerous great hospitals within a short distance radius (certainly not an hour away), I like that it is a standalone building only for pharmacy students, I like that it is on the intra coastal with magnificent view from the second floor and up, I like that you have access to the professors and students are a closed knit group, I like that it is local and I don't have to relocate; although I don't care much about religion, I like how they truly try to humanize the profession. They stress that you dress professionally and that you represent the pharmacy school by wearing your white coat. I also like that it is challenging. Again, this is just my opinion for picking PBA. If you are interviewing anytime soon, obviously make sure it fits you otherwise let someone else get the chance to get in.

I know there are interviews being conducted at PBA tomorrow. I just wanted to help with info for those who are applying. I'm super busy by the way and this is the first chance I have to post. Good luck everybody!

Thanks for the post NewRX, I was just asking about the price because that is a very important factor for me..I am realllly poor lol. If you have anything other insight on PBA please do share, I would love to learn about the school.

Thanks for the post NewRX, I was just asking about the price because that is a very important factor for me..I am realllly poor lol. If you have anything other insight on PBA please do share, I would love to learn about the school.

Money was a factor for me but the other schools wouldn't have solve my problems. That being said, I am now ready to be a P1. :D

I do have an interview tomorrow with pba. I haven't really done much research for the interview, but i feel a peace about it. in any case, im stuck between nova and pba assuming i get accepted to both, but that's a big assumption so i don't want to go that far yet.

thanks for the information

Really? I thought LECOM was? with 41k...iono I was looking around the school data...

http://more.studentdoctor.net/schools.php?mode=1&id=266
(During the interview the price was roughly the same 41k)

and

http://more.studentdoctor.net/schools.php?mode=1&id=283

anyway got an interview the 21st! I wanna see what this school is about ! =]

:idea:ACTUALLY, PBA IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE TUITION WISE...ITS FIRST YEAR TUITION IS ALMOST 30000, NOT INCLUDING OTHER FEES AND IF YOU WILL BE RENTING, BOARD, FOOD, AND SINCE WEST PALM BEACH HAS A HIGH COST OF LIVING EXPECT MORE ADDED A YEAR FOR LOANS:(...LECOM AND NOVA ARE NEXT WITH ALMOST 20,000 FOR TUITION, I CALLED LECOM AND THE REASON WHY THE ESTIMATE 44K IS BECAUSE THAT IS THE ESTIMATE FOR EVERYTHING(FOOD, BOARD, INSURANCE, LAPTOP, CAR EXPENSES, GAS, EVERYTHING!)...MY BOYFRIEND :love::love:GOES TO NURSING SCHOOL AND HIS ESTIMATE WAS 40K FOR 1 YEAR, BUT THAT IS EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN, HE ONLY BORROWED LESS THAN HALF OF THAT..UF AND FAMU ARE THE CHEAPEST:laugh::laugh:...BUT A GOOD EDUCATION IS WORTH ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY:hardy::hardy:

Ohhh ok gotcha thanks for the info! And yes a good education is priceless! Doesn't change the fact im poor lol

Oh yeah does anyone know anything about the quiz you have to take in PBA interview, whats the deal with that?