PBK invite - update school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMBFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an invite to join and I already sent my thank you notes to my interviewers. Should I let them know? They aren't making decisions until Feb. 8, so this would be before my app even went to committee...Or is it not that big of a deal?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you already know the answer to your question. If your interviewer specifically asked if you were PBK, it can't hurt your application to send an update to our school. You can even take the liberty of informing them that the only reason you're sending the update is due to the fact that an interviewer specifically asked if you were already a member/being considered so that you give a bit of context to your communication to the school. Best of luck!

Do people care about phi beta kappa anymore or has it devolved into worthlessness? I'm thinking that in pre-med, since a lot of the students do so well, so many of us are eligible for it it doesn't mean anything. Maybe this isn't the case outside of premed. I actually heard that like 40% - 60% of people reject their invitation. How about youse guys...dis tru?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Donkey said:
Do people care about phi beta kappa anymore or has it devolved into worthlessness? I'm thinking that in pre-med, since a lot of the students do so well, so many of us are eligible for it it doesn't mean anything. Maybe this isn't the case outside of premed. I actually heard that like 40% - 60% of people reject their invitation. How about youse guys...dis tru?

why would someone reject the invitation? It doesn't cost anything and it is an honor, especially at schools that only give it to 30-40 students a year. I would include it, it cant hurt and it is something you should be proud since you earned it....

Dr. Donkey said:

40-60%? Do 40-60% of people reject anything? Keep in mind that any PBK invite is contingient upon being nominated by a PBK faculty member at your undergraduate institution (to the best of my knowledge), so a certain amount of the invitation process relies on professors' impression of their students. That being said...it's just another academic honor. While it's true that most pre-meds to quite well compared to their peers, you still need to perform well to be considered. At this point, however, I believe that PBK, like a lot of honor societies (national discipline societies, institutional societies etc.) are more for a personal sense of satisfaction rather than facilitating your way into medical school. Basically, I think it's just another line on the resume. If you get an invite...great...if not...it's no big deal.

You have to think about it this way: about 90% of the pie is MCAT and GPA; the remaining 10% is for personal statement, activities, honors/awards, and everything else. Furthermore, MCAT and GPA are kisses of death, whereas everything else, including PBK, helps somewhat but don't turn the adcom members head over heels because of it. Every little bit helps.

<personal anectode> When I asked my advisor if I should mention it in my application he said, "Of course." When I asked him if I should mention that I got inducted junior year he said, "Of course!"</personal anecdote>

But I echo the other posters suggestions about mentioning it especially because your interviewer asked you about it.

DMBFan said:
Thanks for the advice! The only thing I am having trouble with is how to exactly relay the info to my interviewer in the first place. I am getting inducted as a junior as well btw (applying through an early assurance program). I already sent my thank you cards out unfortunately bec. otherwise I could mention it in that. The only other thing that I can think of is to send him another thank you note and say, well I wasn't sure if you got the first one.

no if you want to add something, just mention that you remembered something he said about it and that you were invited to join.

DMBFan said:
I had an interview last week and the interviewer asked me specifically if I was in Phi Beta Kappa. Well, I just got an invite to join and I already sent my thank you notes to my interviewers. Should I let them know? They aren't making decisions until Feb. 8, so this would be before my app even went to committee...Or is it not that big of a deal?
Dave Matthews is washed up.. Even when he was popular he never penetrated to the mainstream. Sure, you'll say that's not his style. Regardless, he sucked and still sucks.

skoaner said:
Dave Matthews is washed up.. Even when he was popular he never penetrated to the mainstream. Sure, you'll say that's not his style. Regardless, he sucked and still sucks.

Thanks that's really helpful advice. Your amateurish attempts at music criticism are truly insightful.

And when you say that he didn't "penetrate the mainstream" but he was still popular - what exactly does that mean? Also, I would have to disagree with the former part of the statement considering the band's song "Satellite" played on various WB teeny bopper shows - how much more mainstream can you get? PS - I really don't even like DMB anymore - it's an old name. just felt the need to defend.

DMBFan said:
Thanks that's really helpful advice. Your amateurish attempts at music criticism are truly insightful.

And when you say that he didn't "penetrate the mainstream" but he was still popular - what exactly does that mean? Also, I would have to disagree with the former part of the statement considering the band's song "Satellite" played on various WB teeny bopper shows - how much more mainstream can you get? PS - I really don't even like DMB anymore - it's an old name. just felt the need to defend.
Don't drink the water... There's blood in the water