PBL pathway in general and LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if any current student could comment on the pbl pathway some medical schools offer, specifically the one at LECOM.

I was speaking with my premed advisor and he told me he believed I would excel in the pbl pathway, but I really dont know anything about it.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Read this: http://www.lecom.edu/academics/pbl.htm

As far as the 2007 matriculating class is concerned the PBL pathway is full and their are 5 others on the wait list. Out of the 200 incoming students 40 matriculate into the PBL pathway. This is what I was told by the admissions coordinator (Elaine Morse). I too am in the PBL pathway and will be able to tell you more in the fall. Good luck.

I HOPE I HAVENT MADE AMISTAKE, BUT I TOO WAS ACCEPTED AT LECOM AND WAS ACCEPTED IN THE PBL CURRICULUM. HOWEVER, I HAVE DECIDED TO REJECT THE OFFER AND INSTEAD ATTEND WVSOM. I HOPE I HAVE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION BUT THE IDEA OF 120+ INCHES OF SNOW JUST DIDNT APPEAL TO ME. SO GOOD LUCK MY SPOT ON THE PBL CURRICULUM IS NOW FREE!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an MS I PBL student at LECOM. Let me tell you that I LOVE the program.

Essentially after the first 12 weeks of anatomy, histology, and embryology, you only come to school for OMM and your PBL groups. There are a few minor exceptions, but they're not worth mentioning.

Each group has 8 people and 1 faculty facilitator. The facilitator can't teach, but they provide guidance to the group as needed. You meet 3x per week and work your way through a clinical case. After you complete the case, each group (there are 5 groups) picks 3 relevant chapters out of textbooks such as physiology, pathology, micro, biochem, immunology, pharmacology, etc. Since there is always overlap between groups, the tests usually have between 30-40 chapters on them. There are usually 5 or 6 weeks between tests. It is an incredible amount of work, and there are days when it is frustrating and overwhelming. However, I feel as though we are utilizing our time much more wisely than those who selected the LDP pathway. The PBL pathway also takes a shelf exam similar to the boards in late March. Last year, a number of PBL students passed before completing their first year of medical school.

The professors who run the PBL program - Drs. Krueger and Snow - are highly accessible and truly care about their 40 students. The stated goal of the PBL program is for all students to be in the top 50% of medical students who pass the boards. In addition, LECOM is opening a branch in Florida that will be exclusively PBL. This is a very public sign that PBL is a successful program.

My understanding is that there will be an upcoming on-campus day for accepted students during which you will be allowed to sit in on actual PBL group sessions. I highly recommend that you attend! (I wish they had done that for our class!)

Good luck with everything! Next year is going to be a busy year, so enjoy your summer! See you next year!!

:cool:

Can someone attending LECOM go over the pro/cons of the lecture based learning. I am accepted in the LBL path but not the PBL.

Also, what do you think about the rotation schedule of LECOM, is it like the std rotation schedule used in all med schools. Any problems worth mentioning? Thanks to all that reply.

:) jenn

Although I am not in the LDP pathway, I have heard good things about it. The biggest pro to being in LDP is that the professors highlight the key objectives for students in lecture for the tests and the boards. PBL students have to figure it out for themselves.

The biggest con is, of course, having to attend lecture from 8-5 Monday through Friday. It is my understanding that some of the lecturers are a bit long winded and boring. Also, being in lecture all day limits the time you have for independent and group learning.

Keep in mind that the goal is to pass the boards. All three LECOM pathways will get you there if you put in the effort. Good luck with everything!

Thanks for you reply. I wanted to know a few things about LECOM. Have u heard anything about the rotations there. Any problems worth mentioning. Ive heard that every six weeks is a new rotation, does this mean id have to move every 6 weeks cuz they are far from each other?

Also, I wanted to know if its possible to get into a residency in NY from LECOM (specially EM residency), since thats where i want to practice. I know rotations arent possible as 3rd and 4th yrs, anywhere in NY for LECOM students. Id appreciate your help, Thanks. Take care.

Since I'm only an MSI, my knowledge is a bit limited regarding rotations. My understanding is that some people take advantage of the travel opportunities and move around every 6 weeks. I am married, as are most of my friends, so we are hoping to pick rotations in one area (Erie, Pittsburgh, Philly, etc) so that we don't have to move around too much. Chances are we will have to be outside of our "home base" for at least a few rotations.

Also, if there is a specific hospital that you would like to rotate to, you can work with the administration at LECOM and the hospital to set up the rotation. The hospital has to agree to provide room and board for LECOM students.

As far as residencies go, I have several friends planning to apply in NY. I don't see any reason why you couldn't get into a residency in any state of your choosing as long as you are competitive in the boards. You may want to contact Dr. Agostini at LECOM to better answer your questions, as he is the dean in charge of 3rd and 4th year rotations.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :D

Thanks for all the responses.

I just got back from interview. I ended up putting PBL as my first choice.

I ultimaly got convinced while waiting around for my interview.

Decisions made wednesday, decisions wont be mailed out for another month (they are backed up apparently) until Im on my way to Dominica.....

*Sigh*

Let me guess... Dr. Krueger talked to you following your interview about selecting PBL. That's how they talked me into it. Regardless of what program you get into, I think you'll be very happy with LECOM. (At least as happy as you can be during your first year of medical school.)

Rest up. It's going to be a busy Fall for you!;)

actually, I decided before I did my interview. He was on my interview panel though.

He's a great guy. You couldn't ask for a better advocate and advisor.

well, only time will tell.

Thanks a lot sddoc. Also, I wanted to know what current LECOM student like about LECOM, what you guys specifically like about this school. Thanks, appreciate everyones input.

Jennifer