PBL vs ORGAN based schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b333b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys could u give a list of schools that are pbl and those that are organ based.
i can start:
suny upstate=organ based.
georgetown=pbl.

am i right to think that for pbl you just sit around a big table with a professor and he encourages u to ask questions? i am shy but in such small classes(seminars) i think i participate much better. while in large lectures i usually dont show up to class at all.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys could u give a list of schools that are pbl and those that are organ based.
i can start:
suny upstate=organ based.
georgetown=pbl.

am i right to think that for pbl you just sit around a big table with a professor and he encourages u to ask questions? i am shy but in such small classes(seminars) i think i participate much better. while in large lectures i usually dont show up to class at all.

I'm not sure organ based is really the opposition to PBL. You can generally divide med schools up between subject vs systems(organ). Eg do you take physio and pharm and path and histo as separate subjects, or are they mixed in together into blocks on cardiovascular and respiratory and GI, etc. In either of these subject or systems, you can have PBL, but it tends to work better in the systems(organ) based.

In either of these subject or systems, you can have PBL, but it tends to work better in the systems(organ) based.
Also, keep in mind that LCME is recommending that med schools have a good half of the med school hours NOT in lecture. This can be PBL, labs, etc. But most med schools use some PBL. The question is do you want to go to a school who centers it's curriculum around it, which is pretty rare.

Members don't see this ad :)
which do y'all SDNers think is better?

subject based curriculum vs. organ based system?

Also, keep in mind that LCME is recommending that med schools have a good half of the med school hours NOT in lecture. This can be PBL, labs, etc. But most med schools use some PBL. The question is do you want to go to a school who centers it's curriculum around it, which is pretty rare.

This is something I've never understood, well I guess I've never gotten a good answer. At a school that is centered around PBL are there even any lectures or do you just sit in these groups and figure out what it is you need to learn then go out and learn it on your own?? Compared to lecture based where theres a professor that is teaching you the things you need to know and giving direction in learning that way. I'm so confused....

organ based:
suny upstate
U. South Florida

pbl:
Georgetown
U. Miami @FAU

This is something I've never understood, well I guess I've never gotten a good answer. At a school that is centered around PBL are there even any lectures or do you just sit in these groups and figure out what it is you need to learn then go out and learn it on your own??
It runs the spectrum. Some schools (though I have a hunch they are extremely rare) do absolutely no PBL. In fact, they may have no curriculum components outside of basic lecture. This is conservative to the point of out-of-date. Most schools view the need for multiple learning modalities.

At the other end of the spectrum are schools that do absolutely no lecture and are strictly PBL. In these, you literally walk through issues and teaching points together, with faculty assisting. Few schools do this, as it's also a conservative teaching style by only using one modality.

Most schools are a spectrum between the two. Lots of students favor less PBL, but I'd avoid a school that had none because it probably indicates a lack of openness to new technologies, techniques and learning styles.

I know University of Hawaii is almost entirely PBL, unless they've changed their curriculum in a big way. Most schools that have all-PBL curriculum have it offered as a pathway in addition to more traditional pathways.