PC or Mac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Handle said:
I also highly recommend a tablet. For a first-time tablet user, I'd recommend a convertable (as opposed to Y_Marker's slate), as it has all the capability of a regular laptop with the additional tablet functionality (though I haven't used a slate, so perhaps Marker could chime in here).

I use mine both as a regular laptop (for word processing, surfing the web, etc) and a tablet (for taking/rewriting notes). I would particularly recommend them for the visual learners out there.

An old thread with some more details/screenshots: http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=250036&page=2&highlight=tablet

My first two tablets were convertible. I can type faster than I can write. I thought I couldn't live w/o a keyboard. Suffice it to say that I've used my slate for several of my pre-med years in college and it has been great. I've tried a foldable keyboard that connects via Bluetooth/USB to the slate and returned it. Some folks like it. There is also a virtual keyboard. This looks really cool. It's about the size of a small match box and projects a (laser/IR?) virtual keyboard on a surface. You basically type on that. What would be cool if slates came with a virtual projection keyboard that would project out. It's built onto the slate. So you don't have to carry around the matchbox. Also, if they had a mini webcam. That'd be cool.

It really boils down to a personal preference. My slate has biometric fingerprint authentication. So I can log into to the slate/websites with my thumb (no need to type in userid/password). Most of the sites I frequent are in my favorites. I can send email handwritten in outlook. Notes I take directly on powerpoint slide / one note. Now it would help if you have good handwriting - I don't. But I don't convert handwritten notes to text. Just leave it handwritten.

Members don't see this ad.

etf said:
when the new macbook pro came out (like feb 2006), i sold my powerbook that i bought in 2004 for $1600. these things are status symbols, so they have high resale values. although, it could just be that i am a really good salesman :laugh: :smuggrin:
Yeah, I think you're right! I based those prices off of the 12" ibook 1ghz. Now that I looked it up, that computer debuted 25 months ago @ $1099. If you check out lowendmac, $799 at MacResource is the lowest price for a used 12" ibook. That's great resale value.

I guess the Macs have a resale value like honda's and toyotas...
Are people are really buying the G4's for that much??? Is there any reason why Macs have a higher resale value than PC's?

Members don't see this ad :)
I love my Powerbook. You guys think it's really necessary to buy a new computer when going into med school?

I am going to definitly try and purchase a computer... Laptop to be more specific. I currently own a Dell Pentium 2 333Mhz computer with 128 megs of ram. Ive had this computer since I was in my freshamn year in high school... I am hoping for a MBP so I can do a windows XP/vista and Mac OS X dual boot option.

So the Macbooks didn't come out today?

diosa428 said:
So the Macbooks didn't come out today?

Noo...

(Sigh)

ThinkSecret is busy backpedaling on their story as we speak.

Blah, I am so sick of their crap rumors. I want the MB now!

adiddas125 said:
I guess the Macs have a resale value like honda's and toyotas...
Are people are really buying the G4's for that much??? Is there any reason why Macs have a higher resale value than PC's?
I guess the resale value is higher because there are so little macs and the apple store doesn't lower their prices--a 13 month old ibook is still $1000. If you want one, you'll have to pay a lot new or used. The PC market would never have a new computer priced the same after a year.

Some people speculate that macs will come down in price and the resale value will be lower because the new chips will receive updates more often. :confused:

I hope!! the macbook comes out at $1000 or less!

adiddas125 said:
I am hoping for a MBP so I can do a windows XP/vista and Mac OS X dual boot option.

I do not understand the need for multiple operating systems here. Why on earth would you need both MacOS and Vista/XP? Are you just a hobbiest? Would you really fork out $300 for Vista just to dual boot it? Why get an overpriced mac to begin with? I guess if you are spending $120,00 on tuition, anther $2500 is not too much.

medrad, I dont need to pay $300 for a copy of vista... Since when did an Operating System cost that much?

I want to do a MacOS and XP dual boot, so I can run my windows only programs and run MacOS on the same computer. Why get an overpriced mac? With a student discount, it actually isnt too bad of a price. Remember, the last time I spent $ on a PC was in high school. It is a Pentium 2, 333Mhz machine with 128 mb of ram. This was purchased in 1997. I am assuming if I spend the same amount of money, I can get the same amount of mileage out of my system. (or approximately the same).

And yes, I am an enthusiast. I like technology. :love:

medrad said:
I do not understand the need for multiple operating systems here. Why on earth would you need both MacOS and Vista/XP? Are you just a hobbiest? Would you really fork out $300 for Vista just to dual boot it? Why get an overpriced mac to begin with? I guess if you are spending $120,00 on tuition, anther $2500 is not too much.

Why use Mac:
-Little to no security/virus risks
-Better features (imo)
-Better integrated programs (iTunes, mail client, iMovie, etc)
-Easier to use
-Less crashing

Why use Windows:
-Compatibility
-More available software

Why use both:
-Get all the benefits of compatibility when you need it; get the advantages of MacOS for your general personal computing

Members don't see this ad :)
ND2005 said:
Why use Mac:
-Better features (imo)
-Easier to use
-Less crashing

Why use Windows:
-Compatibility
-More available software

Why use both:
-Get all the benefits of compatibility when you need it; get the advantages of MacOS for your general personal computing
My thoughts exactly! Although, I do have to say that Windows XP on my Pentium 2 hasnt been too bad. I havent had any viruses, or lockups. Windows XP has been excellent! My first PC was a 486 DX 33mhz... Windows/DOS sure has come a long ways as far as reliability goes... I for one think that PCs are quite stable. But I do want to have best of both worlds. :oops:

ND2005 said:
Could you post the text? I don't want to sign up.
okey dokey. you don't actually have to sign up...you can just view the ad, just FYI. but here's the text:

iAy caramba! MacBook is hot
When I smelled bacon wafting from my new computer, I was thrilled -- until I realized it was the smell of my thighs igniting.

By Gabriella Papic

May. 15, 2006 | I have figured out why the people in those Apple commercials are always dancing around, and it has nothing to do with listening to cool music on their iPods. I'm pretty sure that, like me, they've used their new MacBook Pro before reading the users guide, and are having the normal human reaction that occurs when receiving second-degree burns to the upper thighs.

Just like a Ferrari owner who privately admits the back window is too small and makes parallel parking a nail-biter, but publicly tells people that, yeah, as a matter of fact he did mean to back into that parking meter, I too hate to admit that my new Intel Core Duo, 1.83 gigahertz MacBook Pro runs hot. Not kinda warm. Not "Jiminy Cricket, that's sort of uncomfortable" but "Holy crud, call 911" hot.

Like any self-respecting techie, I did not read the users manual before unpacking my new MacBook Pro, setting it directly on my lap, turning it on and immediately taking dozens of pictures of myself using the built-in camera and distorting the images with several of the Photo Booth effects, and then assembling them into a hilarious story line using Comic Life. While I busily e-mailed my new comic strip to everyone in my address book, I noticed something that smelled like bacon wafting from my laptop.

At first, I thought those guys at Apple were geniuses for making the built-in DVD burner smell like my favorite low-carb treat. Then I felt a stinging in my thigh muscles, although stinging isn't quite the word I'm looking for to describe the burning sensation. It was more of a scalding, or a scorching, that felt worse than a rug burn but not as bad as, let's say, reentry heat.

I considered calling Apple customer support, but I was already absorbed in making an iMovie from last year's vacation footage. So I checked the users guide to see if something was up with the fan malfunctioning. The appendix directed me to Page 107, which contained a statement so shocking that I immediately posted it on my blog space I had just created using .Mac. The statement said: "Do not leave the bottom of your MacBook Pro in contact with your lap or any surface of your body for extended periods. Prolonged contact with your body could cause discomfort and potentially a burn."

An important statement like that should be brought to the user's attention a bit earlier than Page 107. Being etched on the cover of the laptop in raised neon lettering would be more appropriate. But I could see how that would mess with the sleek, spacecrafty design. So I forgave Apple for this oversight and decided to come up with a few accessories that address the heat issue in a very creative and Mac-like way. My list is broken into three sections: first aid, food and other.

iMedic: A first-aid kit that contains iBand-Aids for light burns. Includes iAloe: Used quickly, it prevents blistered skin from getting too crusty. iSkin: If iAloe application has been delayed, a square yard of lab-grown artificial skin is provided for later grafting procedures.

With the medical intervention out of the way, let's get to the lunch/dinner/snacking section.

iRotisserie: Hooks up to your USB port so you can cook crispy barbecue chicken right under your MacBook Pro. Can be used in tandem with iJerky, a drying rack that allows you to make beef, salmon and turkey jerky, dried sausages and whole smoked hams (can also be used to dry socks in a pinch.) Optional iToast grill pan also available.

iCorn: Two heat 'n' serve bags of frozen corn to be placed between your lap and the MacBook Pro. Keeps thighs cool and breezy underneath, while on top, the bottom of your MacBook Pro broils up a nice side dish for the chicken. For non-veggie lovers or those on a low-carb diet, iDry, in dry ice format, is also available. Business travelers are strongly urged to purchase the optional iFan that blows away all that cool white smoke caused by the dry ice. Especially useful in situations where cool white smoke emanating from electronic equipment might raise eyebrows, such as the business lounge at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.

And now those items that didn't really fit into any one category, but would be quite useful nonetheless.

# iCutter: a pair of wire cutters to disable the blaring smoke/heat detectors in the house so you can work in peace. Also available is iCutter Pro: heavier-gauge pliers to cut bulkier wires used in office building sprinkler systems.

# iTold-You-So: a button that goes over the 1 key (how often do you really use the 1 key?) After you've scorched your thighs the first time, and have already admitted to Apple customer support that in fact, no, you did not read the users manual first, and the guy then directs you to Page 107 for the potential-burn warning, this button is to be pressed after the second and all subsequent times you use your MacBook Pro on your lap and start to feel that tingling sensation down there. Comes with a free widget that plays the phrase iTold-You-So in 26 celebrity voices. Button has an expected lifetime of 600 presses. Comes with two free replacement buttons.

# iBounce: for those times you have forgotten to use the above-mentioned iTold-You-So button and you let things get a little prolonged. Consists of a basketball-like, rubberized cover that allows your MacBook Pro to safely bounce off the floor after you leap off your sofa screaming, "(Bad word) that's (badder word)-ing hot."

# i20: a crisp, new $20 bill. Included as a pre-payout for any future class action suits against Apple for not clearly labeling the MacBook Pro with the words "Caution: This beverage you are about to consume is hot."

And finally ...

# iShirt: A white T-shirt featuring the Apple logo and the words "I Luv My Mac," because let's face it, aside from the pesky skin-torching issue, the MacBook Pro is a joy to use and as usual retains that glorious "coolness" factor (like that neat Apple logo on the cover that glows like a teed-off Goa'uld). Shirt is made from a cotton-asbestos blend to facilitate comfortable hugging of your MacBook Pro. Prospective note from Apple legal department: MacBook Pro is not recommended for prolonged hugging. For details, see Page 107 in the users manual.

ND2005 said:
Why use Mac:
-Better features (imo)
-Easier to use
-Less crashing

Why use Windows:
-Compatibility
-More available software

Why use both:
Seems like a decent list, but you forget 2 big pluses in the PC category: gaming and upgradeability. If you want to game on a Mac, thats going to be difficult, even with dual boot. Also, Macs problem is that if you want to upgrade, you buy a whole new computer. I haven't purchased a whole new PC in about 6 years. But by outlaying about 2-300 every 2 years or so I can keep it running at very high performance levels.

Also, the virus/security thing is going to change. With the move to Intel chips, and the increasing amount of Macs, people are going to target them with viruses. Its only a matter of time. No matter what platform you get, you need a good firewall and virus scanner, and it will take care of most.

While Mac may have etter integrated programs, I will take the ability to use 3rd party programs over that, any day. Because if you don't like the integrated programs, your options are limited.

As for ease of use, I would disagree, but thats just me.

Personally, I would reccomend getting a PC and running a Linux/Windows dual boot system. I have moved almost exclusively to Linux, with the Windows platform used for my gaming. No complaints here.

FaytlND said:
Seems like a decent list, but you forget 2 big pluses in the PC category: gaming and upgradeability.

I was taking about pluses and minuses of the OS's, not of the hardware. So upgradeability isn't really a factor.

and I don't game, so I didn't include it in my personal list.

FaytlND said:
Also, the virus/security thing is going to change. With the move to Intel chips, and the increasing amount of Macs, people are going to target them with viruses. Its only a matter of time. No matter what platform you get, you need a good firewall and virus scanner, and it will take care of most.

Not really. The limited vulnerability of Macs is due to two things: lack of attention from virus writers and a more stable OS. While the increased attention macs may get could increase the security risks somewhat, the OS itself is still a lot more stable. Even the Mac virus that popped up this spring relies on tricking you into providing your administrative password

I was taking about pluses and minuses of the OS's, not of the hardware. So upgradeability isn't really a factor.

Thats the problem though. Macs are not just an operating system. To run OSX you must by a Mac. Thus, its not buying an OS, its buying both at the same time, so hardware concerns are naturally part of the discussion.

It's Here!

Awesome. Probably 90% certain this is the laptop I'll buy for next year.

YES!!! Price is just right @ $1049 with student discount, :) These are better than the macbook pros!

ND2005 said:
It's Here!

Awesome. Probably 90% certain this is the laptop I'll buy for next year.

it's a pretty sweet machine, but what's the deal with only being able to get the black case on the top-of-the-line model? why not just offer the black or white as options on either...

oh well, not about to trade in my powerbook anyways... :)

colt said:
YES!!! Price is just right @ $1049 with student discount, :) These are better than the macbook pros!

Well they're not really better than the macbook pros. The integrated graphics is a big issue for some. But if you're like me, portability is more important than gaming and running graphics applications as lightening speed. The 15-inch pro model is just too big. It's sad that there will be no 13-inch macbook pro. I would say the mabook is worth it :)

jbrice1639 said:
it's a pretty sweet machine, but what's the deal with only being able to get the black case on the top-of-the-line model? why not just offer the black or white as options on either...

The black case thing seems kind of odd to me too. Plus unless I'm missing something, the only performance difference between the white and black is the 20 gig bigger hard-drive. And the price jump is 200 bucks!

I'm also worried the black case will scratch up like an ipod nano.

But anyways, I'm waiting as long as possible to buy, so I'll have time to read feedback and reviews, then make my choice.

Yea it looks really nice....They did the same with with the U2 edition ipod by jacking the price up a whole bunch because it looks cooler...for the same price you could probably send it off and get a paintjob done however you want. I am going to wait a few months just so they work the bugs out...First gens are always a bit sketchy it seems..I know my first gen centrino crap is.

Wow this book... its so sexy! I think this is the one I am getting... I am debating versus a 15.4 2.0 MBP or this 13" MB.

ND2005 said:
The black case thing seems kind of odd to me too. Plus unless I'm missing something, the only performance difference between the white and black is the 20 gig bigger hard-drive. And the price jump is 200 bucks!

I'm also worried the black case will scratch up like an ipod nano.

But anyways, I'm waiting as long as possible to buy, so I'll have time to read feedback and reviews, then make my choice.

yeah, i saw that too...those are 20 expensive GBs...or maybe the price of black dye for plastic is REALLY expensive...

i also don't particularly like that they only offer these with the glossy screens as opposed to the glare-resistant matte screens like mb pros have (glossy is optional on those). since portability is a key aspect of a laptop, lighting conditions change all the time, and a glare-resistant screen seems like a bad thing not to offer.

jbrice1639 said:
yeah, i saw that too...those are 20 expensive GBs...or maybe the price of black dye for plastic is REALLY expensive...

i also don't particularly like that they only offer these with the glossy screens as opposed to the glare-resistant matte screens like mb pros have (glossy is optional on those). since portability is a key aspect of a laptop, lighting conditions change all the time, and a glare-resistant screen seems like a bad thing not to offer.

Yeah...they're touting the glossy screen as a positive. Not sure what to think there.

I need to go to the Apple store and check one of these things out in person.

You know the only thing I am dissapointed in is that the casing of the MB isnt Aluminum. I would think that the Alum painted with black should be worth the extra $150. The polycarbonate plastic casing painted in black isnt worth the $150, but oh well. I'll be waiting to see if where they put the Merom chip. I wonder if the MB's will get the merom or if they will keep the yonah's.

Yes I am getting this bad mammer-jammer in July
yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe the black macbook is made from the same jet black precious resin that mont blanc pens are made of, in which case the case would be worth more than $200...they're not, though.

jbrice1639 said:
how so? you mean just price? :confused:
Yes, better as in bang for the buck!!!

The macbook is also smaller which makes for better portability. I hate the size of 15+ inch laptops. As far as performance, the main thing you give up is having integrated graphics. You could buy the $1100 macbook and save $900--that would buy a nice gaming desktop or an xbox 360 with $600 left over :)

jbrice1639 said:

It's about apple cashing in on some users' wanting the cachet of having the machine that nobody else is willing to pay extra for. If you think about it, they're using a tiered pricing structure to sell hipness, which I think is pretty cool. Not giving a damn about hipness personally, I think it's nice that people who want it and are willing to pay for it are able to get it, while Apple can undersell its competitors at the low-end of its line with what remains a sleek and capable machine. In 4-6 months I'll bet they'll just quietly let the price differential fade away.

LUBDUBB said:
Just a bit of mac history, Apple was in the dumpster until the Ipod which put apple back on the map and scored it some sales in the computer sector as well. The apple II (steve wozniak's invention) was truly a great computer in its era, really what started apple. After that, and up until recently, Macs were a bunch of garbage if you ask me. And anyone who used macs during the late 90's/early 00's will agree. Sorry for such a long post.

Here's a bit of my Mac history. Just today I took my old Performa apart and cleaned all the dust out of the casing (it's 11 years old). My family got this computer when I was in 8th grade (1995) and it was my primary computer from 1995-2001. It never left my house for any problems at all, and has never been repaired. I added some more memory to it in 1999, and I can sit and happily play Oregon Trail all day long if I want to.

I first got internet access in January of 1997, and my Performa happily chugged away on dial-up until I got my blueberry iMac before I started my freshman year of college. My mom kept the computer and it still can connect to the internet (even though she doesn't use it for that). It's great for word processing and to play the old-school games

Macs used to run great because they were simple. People didn't perform hundreds of different tasks on their computers. We didn't used to have digital pictures and software to make movies (not to mention GarageBand and iTunes :love: ). All the software you could want was available for the Mac and it worked great because it was made for a Mac. All the Windows/Mac software I have ever bought (that supposedly can run on both machines) is crap because Apple doesn't make it so it doesn't work properly. Most of the problems I've ever had with a Mac had to do with software that was made by a third party.

The more complex computers become, the more problems there will be. Macs aren't perfect, but if you know how to use them and know how they work they're pretty easy to get along with. I grew up using both Windows and Mac computers in elementary and middle school, and when it came time for my family to choose our first computer, I knew that I wanted a Mac over a PC.

Apple has always been ahead of its time. Have you ever heard of the Newton? Most people haven't, but it predated the Palm Pilot (Palm Computing was founded by an ex-Apple employee according to the Wikipedia article). I'm pretty sure Macs were first to allow connectivity to instruments like keyboards to record and synthesize music too. Maybe you guys aren't old enough to have gone through elementary school with Macs almost exclusively, but they were the first to offer education discounts to school systems. I'm willing to bet that a good portion of SDNers learned how to work a computer on a Mac. And who can forget the Accelerated Reader Program, available only on the Mac with those big 7.5" floppies?

Oh, and I'm proud to be one of the Powerbook drones. :D

adiddas125 said:
Wow this book... its so sexy! I think this is the one I am getting... I am debating versus a 15.4 2.0 MBP or this 13" MB.

Me too. I was all set and ready to get me a MBP, and now this new MB comes out....

I'm brand new to the whole mac thing, but i can't seem to find any noticeable difference btw the two (other than size)...... any mac whizzes out there care to help me out??

I got the 2.0 GHz white MacBook today and *love* it! :) I couldn't wait till August and knew this was going to be the computer I would get then, so why not just get it now? :)

rush2 said:
Me too. I was all set and ready to get me a MBP, and now this new MB comes out....

I'm brand new to the whole mac thing, but i can't seem to find any noticeable difference btw the two (other than size)...... any mac whizzes out there care to help me out??

The MacBook uses Intel Integrated Graphics. Even a Radeon X300 is ~5x faster than a GMA 950 (case-in-point: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2427&p=4). The MacBook Pro uses a Radeon X1600, which is probably ~10-20x faster than the GMA 950 in the regular MacBook.

If you intend to use your laptop for web browsing, word processing, email, etc. then I'd stick with the MacBook -- it's definitely got a good price point compared to the Pro, and has similar specs (sans the video card). However, if you intend to do ANY sort of visualization or image processing (see, for example, http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/ucla/), you'd be nuts not to go with the Pro.

FenderHM said:
Definitely getting 15" macbook pro as soon as (if) I get into a school...

I honestly haven't decided what I'm going to get, but I'm pretty much decided that if I get in for the class entering 2007 I'm going to buy a laptop rather than getting a Playstation 3 when it comes out. I wouldn't mind spending $600 for the latter, but somehow I think spending a little more for a laptop will prove much more useful in medical school. I'm actually leaning towards a tablet PC. Even if it's not used as a tablet it's still helpful to be able to use the pen to write directly on the screen.

I'll probably wait til Conroe/Merom and get a Lenovo Thinkpad T series.

Merom/Conroe should be coming out in June! I hope they put that in the macbooks and also find a way to introduce dedicated graphics to the MB. Then I would get a MB, but as of right now... I am leaning towards the MBP when the merom comes out. This is all assuming apple fixes the heat/whine problems, and adding the right amount of thermal grease... Too bad apple doesnt let you self customize your laptop with more options...

kypdurron5 said:
Even if it's not used as a tablet it's still helpful to be able to use the pen to write directly on the screen.
But that is using it as a tablet?! :confused: :laugh:

annamarie said:
I got the 2.0 GHz white MacBook today and *love* it! :) I couldn't wait till August and knew this was going to be the computer I would get then, so why not just get it now? :)
Have you noticed and heat problems, or whining problems? How is that new keyboard???

PC for me, but I'm running Linux. Much fewer crashes and openoffice allows MS office programs to work. Any one else doing the same?

Ever since Windows 2000 came out I haven't really had any problems with my PCs. I got one virus through my school's network, they sent a link to kill the virus so nothing bad happened. I got some spyware recently, did a system restore that took about 5 minutes and everything is fine. This is in the last 5 years. I admit Win98 and ME was pretty bad, but 2000 and XP are very good.

Still, I may get a Mac the next time around. Have a Vaio now. I think the coolest feature on the new Macbookpro are the magnetic power connections, so you can't damage the laptop by yanking on the cord. Is this same feature on the Macbook or only the pro?

Remiller said:
Is this same feature on the Macbook or only the pro?
It's on both of them. :thumbup:

jbrice1639 said:

My dad has the mb pro........the "glare resistant" thing is a bit sketch..I mean if you want to workoutside both will be pretty tough to see depending on sunlight. The glossy I think will cause a few problems for us taller people who have to bend the screen a little further back to see when sitting at a desk...since it'll have the tendency to aim it into lights....but that being said the images on those glossy screens are always damn fine..colors always seem so much more vivid and I generally never have a problem with either type. (I've had glossy screened lcd's and the flat type before) If it hits the light the wrong way I just kind of twist it a few degrees in whatever direction and I'm fine again...besides it is so bright it can kind of pierce through some glare....I still want one without the option to choose.lol Think my parents would be mad if I used the emergency only credit card? :D

adiddas125 said:
Merom/Conroe should be coming out in June! I hope they put that in the macbooks and also find a way to introduce dedicated graphics to the MB. Then I would get a MB, but as of right now... I am leaning towards the MBP when the merom comes out. This is all assuming apple fixes the heat/whine problems, and adding the right amount of thermal grease... Too bad apple doesnt let you self customize your laptop with more options...

Hmm. I just did a bit of reading, and I think I'm going to hold out for Merom/Conroe.

Even if they don't come out til early fall, I'll be fine. I have a perfectly serviceable desktop right now, and whenever I order my laptop I could make the switchover in a day or two with minimal difficulties.

I also want to avoid the problems with first gen hardware.

I've heard the MBPs have everything just about sorted out now -- they are actually on revision D already (they just haven't been announcing the fixes...don't want to publicly admit how many problems there were with the early MBPs)