PC or Mac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgtati

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has come up before but what do you folks prefer on getting for Med School, PC or Mac?

THanks

Members don't see this ad.

i'm getting the macbookpro laptop (either 15'' or 12'') :love:

i don't think it matters really. go with what you feel most comfortable with as long as it's compatible with your school's systems.

wendywellesley said:

i don't think it matters really. go with what you feel most comfortable with as long as it's compatible with your school's systems.
Two in one....gotta love that. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
bgtati said:
I'm sure this has come up before but what do you folks prefer on getting for Med School, PC or Mac?

THanks
Macs can't get viruses, that seems like a major plus, I don't know what the upside to a PC is.

I don't think mac's can read a wireless signal though.

Macs are the best! Especially if you get one of the new ones with the intel chip... remarkably sexy; not gonna lie... :love:

taydoctor said:
Macs can't get viruses, that seems like a major plus, I don't know what the upside to a PC is.

as a mac person, i'd concede that the upside to a pc is total compatibility with most people's computers. however, the benefits of a mac, for me, far outweigh the drawbacks, and there are almost always workarounds for any conflicts. occasionally in undergrad, i came across cd-roms with textbooks that were pc-only, but those cds are usually worthless anyways.

like someone else said, get what you're most comfortable with. pretty much all you'll need in schools is microsoft office and an internet connection anyways.

taydoctor said:

yes they can.

Wow. Let's just call this the misinformation thread...

wendywellesley said:

That 12" Macbook pro is going to be tough to get ahold of. Because it doesn't exist.

taydoctor said:

Macs can get viruses. There just aren't very many Mac viruses in existence yet. If you buy an intel mac and run bootcamp, you'll be susceptible to the same viruses as every other Windows user.

taydoctor said:

Yes they can. Apple uses the same wi-fi standard (802.11g) as everyone else.

taydoctor said:
I don't know what the upside to a PC is.
Most programs are for windows. That's pretty much the major reason to think about a PC. Plus, macs are expensive.
I would get a mac though. They are sexy and svelte. Like me. And the new ones run windows.

ND2005 said:

That 12" Macbook pro is going to be tough to get ahold of. Because it doesn't exist.

not yet. rumor has it the 12'' is coming out in decemberish.

When did you hear this rumor and where? (about the 12" MBP)? I hear it is the 13.3" version that is coming out in a few months (I hope by August/Sept)

ND2005 said:

Macs can get viruses. There just aren't very many Mac viruses in existence yet. If you buy an intel mac and run bootcamp, you'll be susceptible to the same viruses as every other Windows user.

Yes they can. Apple uses the same wi-fi standard (802.11g) as everyone else.
Wow, you set me straight. I have only used a PC so forgive me.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i bought a 12-inch powerbook in december because i figured they wouldn't have the 12-inch version of the macbook pro for a while. and i fundamentally don't quite understand what the intel chip is/does vs. the G4 chip. can someone explain the advantage in the simplest possible terms? i know i can get virtual PC...is that different?

somewhere2010 said:
yeah, i bought a 12-inch powerbook in december because i figured they wouldn't have the 12-inch version of the macbook pro for a while. and i fundamentally don't quite understand what the intel chip is/does vs. the G4 chip. can someone explain the advantage in the simplest possible terms? i know i can get virtual PC...is that different?

The new chips are a lot faster. Which is to be expected as the G4 chip is getting pretty up there in years.

The problem with Virtual PC is that it is "virtual" -- it's an emulator program, and nothing that is run through it will be able to run at "native" speed, because every application basically has to be translated from "PC-speak" to "Mac-speak".

adiddas125 said:
When did you hear this rumor and where? (about the 12" MBP)? I hear it is the 13.3" version that is coming out in a few months (I hope by August/Sept)

ooo... that's interesting. i didn't know this. perhaps this will be the smallest version they will make of the macbookpro. i heard about the 12'' from a friend of a friend who works in a computer store. i hope it comes out soon!!

adiddas125 said:

The MBP is not likely going to come out in a smaller version.

The rumored 13.3" widesecreen version will be a consumer line notebook (the replacement for the iBook, whereas the MBP was the replacement to the Powerbook). Rumors are it will be out by summer.

Definitely getting 15" macbook pro as soon as (if) I get into a school...

taydoctor said:

I also heard they can't store data. It is part of their "Impossibly Ephemeral." Campaign.

medrad said:
I also heard they can't store data. It is part of their "Impossibly Ephemeral." Campaign.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

macs rule. they are expensive though. *sigh*

ND2005 said:
The new chips are a lot faster. Which is to be expected as the G4 chip is getting pretty up there in years.

The problem with Virtual PC is that it is "virtual" -- it's an emulator program, and nothing that is run through it will be able to run at "native" speed, because every application basically has to be translated from "PC-speak" to "Mac-speak".

This is no longer true, the new dual core processors can boot directly to windows without the virtual pc emulation lags

I'd hold off on the MBP purchase because programs like office, which you'd be using constantly, dont run. They expect to have this resolved by the fall!

Personally, I was raised on PC use but I'm planning on switching because the OS is a hell of alot more stable on a Mac than a PC. I'd rather not lose alot of stuff over a stupid virus or spy ware corruption of my hard drive.

LJDHC05 said:
This is no longer true, the new dual core processors can boot directly to windows without the virtual pc emulation lags

I was talking about Virtual PC for the G4 powerbook (which is what the poster who asked about Virtual PC owns).

bubbleyum said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

macs rule. they are expensive though. *sigh*

macs do rule.
if you cant afford one, you could always go for the free one's from those SPAM emails and pop-ups. it worked for me, i just got 12" ibook for the cost of a USA today subscription. i $h!t you not.

it takes a little effort, but it works.

LJDHC05 said:
I'd hold off on the MBP purchase because programs like office, which you'd be using constantly, dont run. They expect to have this resolved by the fall!

Umm...office works just fine on the MBP.

THe MBP runs MS Office quite well, but you cant run Virtual PC(don't need to anyways since you can dual boot). The software problem I have noticed is that Adobe Creative suite is a little slow since it has to run through emulation, but it works well enough as long as you aren't doing any crazy rendering.

ND2005 said:
Umm...office works just fine on the MBP.

i think what the other poster was getting at is that currently, microsoft and adobe do not make any versions of their software for the intel macs. this will be remedied. the old versions do run, though, as you said, but they run slower than on G4 an G5 macs because they run Rosetta, an emulator that allows the new macs to run software made for the old macs. microsoft office and adobe software do not run natively on the new MBP. they will soon, though, and the slowness is not that much of a deterrent i don't think.

macs are so awesome my 3 year old G4 powerbook runs like new... the other day I was updating to os x 10.4.6 and for a day the airport didnt work but I fixed it now its back to running like new.. what PC has anyone EVER owned that ran like new 3 years later!

(btw I don't just word process and surf, photoshop garageband 3d protein rendering like it aint no THANG)

ND2005 said:
The rumored 13.3" widesecreen version will be a consumer line notebook (the replacement for the iBook, whereas the MBP was the replacement to the Powerbook). Rumors are it will be out by summer.

Yea, the 13.3" is going to be the MacBook, replacing the iBook, versus the MacBook Pro which is already out. I'm guessing it'll use a single core processor instead of the duo core and if you don't know the difference, I would wait and get one of those (they'll be significantly cheaper).

That being said, I'm getting a 15" MacBook Pro this summer for med school. Viruses are beginning to appear on Macs, but will never be as large a problem as they are for PC's because the market is smaller. The MacBook Pro can dual (possibly triple) boot, which is perfect for the rare times you need to use Windows. The mac OS is far superior to windows XP and from the sounds of Vista, will continue to the better os.

Most importantly, don't get a PC that your school doesn't support (particularly if your school doesn't support dell). Same goes for Macs because not all programs are designed to work on macs and this is frustrating for people who don't understand compatibility issues when buying a comp.

i put windows on my macbook pro the day bootcamp came out, and i've seriously only used it like twice...it's just on there for the sake of being on there...

Do macs come with a wireless chip inside of them?

taydoctor said:
Do macs come with a wireless chip inside of them?
They come with both Bluetooth (for wireless accessories) and Airport (for wireless internet). Plus they're really shiny

I didnt know that the there was a rendering program set up for the MBP to run office and adobe. I think it's kind of silly to buy the MBP and then buy two copies of office (one for the meantime and one after the intel compatible verson comes out) orfor any other software for that matter.

I'm torn. I have an aging dell laptop that's running fine currently on windows 2k. I've had to rescue it from the throes of death twice and I dont want to be stuck without one. I dont know whether to grab the iMac dual core for working in my room and to use my laptop for a portable or to just grab the MBP and give the old dell to my girlfriend for law school (all she does is word processing). The money doesn't really seem like an issue with $60k in loans hanging over my head for the next 11 months of my life.

jebus said:
Most programs are for windows. That's pretty much the major reason to think about a PC. Plus, macs are expensive.
I would get a mac though. They are sexy and svelte. Like me. And the new ones run windows.

Macbookpros can run windows if you wish to.

LJDHC05 said:

Just wanted to point out that you can run the whole Mac version- Microsoft Office suite of software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) on the new MacBook Pro and iMac with Intel Dual Core Processors. It has not been recompiled to run natively, so it runs in Apple's emulation mode, called "Rosetta", but because of the nature of the software, you shouldn't really notice any speed hit. Office software is not very computationally intensive, and most of the time, the computer is waiting for you to provide input.

Edit: sorry, i see a few other people explained this fact a few posts before mine!

bgtati said:

THanks

Guys- please hold off on buying anything as the medical school may have a specific requirement (mine did).

bgtati said:

THanks

Hi everyone! I'm a software engineer, and I'm going to UCLA Med this fall. PC's may be less reliable but they are cheaper to buy and upgrade. Mac's are more reliable and less prone to viruses because most hackers target PC's since more people use PC. Compatibility with other system is not an issue. If you have the money and have not used PC all your life then Mac is a good choice. However, if you have been used to PC's I wouldn't recommend getting a Mac because many things you are used to with PC is different in Mac. Price and familiarity would be the major issues to overcome when you buy a Mac.

Use whatever you're used to. A competent user on Windows = A competent user on a Mac. Anything else is fanboytalk.

Bumpity for new news.

Apple stores have received materials for a new window display. The boxes are labeled "do not open until May 9th".

Apple almost always releases new products on Tuesdays.

And, check this link out: (read carefully) home>hardware>MACBOOK

I added the bolding to make it clear what you should look for. Apple may change it soon.

Nd2005 could it be just a simple typo? I am not sure what to make of this. :laugh:
Do you work at an Apple Store?

adiddas125 said:
Nd2005 could it be just a simple typo? I am not sure what to make of this. :laugh:

Obviously, Apple is about to make an iPod-sized Macbook! The future is here!

I dont know if they could make a iPod sized MB. Then it wouldnt be a MB anymore, it be more along the lines of a handheld/PDA of some sort, no?

adiddas125 said:

Usually a mistake like this only happens when they're working on updates to the site.

I don't work at an apple store; I just have an abundance of free time and checked out Macrumors this morning.

If you read reviews on Amazon, some people complain that their macbooks get really hot and some of them seem to make humming noises, and Apple won't fix either issue. Can anyone who has a MBP comment on this? I wouldn't want to spend $2,000 to get a laptop that overheats and makes noises.

I really want to get a new MBP for med school. But does anyone know about Mac compatibility with PDAs and with some of the medically related software that's run on PDAs?

The school I'll probably be attending next year has a computer requirement and all incoming students are required to purchase laptops and PDAs. The school has said that they will only support Windows bases PCs - not Macs. For work on the laptop, I don't think it's a big issue and am willing to deal with a small amount of inconvenience to have a Mac.

But what about compatibility issues for a PDA? I've never owned a PDA, and don't know the software programs we'll need (Epocrates is the only one I remember). But it seems like the PDA compatibility issue could be more serious than the laptop problem. Any thoughts? I guess that with the MBP, you could use Bootcamp to run Windows XP for whenever you need to sync your PDA. But that seems kind of cumbersome. And if you need to run Windows all the time to use the PDA, then why not buy a Windows machine in the first place?

I'm brand new to PDAs, so fill me in if there's a good solution.

My MacBook Pro does get pretty hot, but its not that much worse than some other PC laptops i've used. As for the whine that a lot of people are complaining about, I haven't noticed it with my MBP. All computers make a small amount of noise (fans, drives, etc.) and the noise comping from my MBP is minimal. Both of these issues may have been addressed in the latest versions of the MBP. I read somewhere that Apple is swtiching boards that they are using.

Computers are like air conditioners, they stop working properly if you open Windows.

:laugh: :laugh: