PCAT Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahhhhhhhhhh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I bought the 45 dollar purple PCAT kaplan book. Then I borrow the PCAT kaplan review book/Lesson book from my friend who has taken the Kaplan class in summer 2006. The books were EXACTLY the same except the organic section was left out of the PCAT book that I bought and the math on the PCAT has changed. No more Geometry. Other then that everything on those books are the SAME so don't bother taking the Kaplan class. I even got the dia exam, midterm, and final exam from the Kaplan class and compare them to the two exams in my 45 dollar kaplan book and again its exactly the same except the midterm exam wasn't in there...

Also as a side NOTE...I took the Kaplan class for the DAT. The biology, chemistry, and organic chemistry sections and the questions after each sections were EXACTLY the same as the ones in the Kaplan PCAT books!!!! so basically Kaplan uses the SAME stuff for EVERYTHING!! maybe its the same for MCATS as well....:rolleyes: who knows....However I am not putting Kaplan down b/c I did well on the DAT.

You should go to the cheapest pharmacy school...which is your state school...this is coming from someone that used to think big name ivy league schools are the best...well at the end...having little to NO loans is actually the BEST!! :thumbup:

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Def recommend the Cliffs 5 Practice PCAT book. Simulates the exam pretty well.

Examkrackers Chemistry and EK Biology are also good, although you can skip the passage-based questions they provide.

Princeton Review MCAT and Kaplan PCAT provide comprehensive review. They are good mostly for their practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was if anyone recommends any books to study for the PCAT. Thanks. Also, which books are useful in choosing/ picking a pharmacy school?

Apply to schools that you feel fit your learning style and also places you would be happy attending. For me, only the Texas schools work for me so thats the only places I'm applying. For alot of people, it is just applying to as many places as possible. That can work for too, just not for me.

In the end, the school that accepts you is the one you should pick. :D

Def recommend the Cliffs 5 Practice PCAT book. Simulates the exam pretty well.

Examkrackers Chemistry and EK Biology are also good, although you can skip the passage-based questions they provide.

Princeton Review MCAT and Kaplan PCAT provide comprehensive review. They are good mostly for their practice tests.

I agree with this. Using Cliff's 5 practice tests along with the two full-length tests from the PCAT website gives you alot of good test-simulating material.

I studied for a couple months, reviewing most of the material from the big Kaplan comprehensive book, and the ExamKrackers Organic study book. With the 5 Cliff's tests and the 2 tests from the PCAT website, I took a practice test every weekend and reviewed how I did on each test. The biggest key is practicing what you are learning.

I bought the 45 dollar purple PCAT kaplan book. Then I borrow the PCAT kaplan review book/Lesson book from my friend who has taken the Kaplan class in summer 2006. The books were EXACTLY the same except the organic section was left out of the PCAT book that I bought and the math on the PCAT has changed. No more Geometry. Other then that everything on those books are the SAME so don't bother taking the Kaplan class. I even got the dia exam, midterm, and final exam from the Kaplan class and compare them to the two exams in my 45 dollar kaplan book and again its exactly the same except the midterm exam wasn't in there...

Also as a side NOTE...I took the Kaplan class for the DAT. The biology, chemistry, and organic chemistry sections and the questions after each sections were EXACTLY the same as the ones in the Kaplan PCAT books!!!! so basically Kaplan uses the SAME stuff for EVERYTHING!! maybe its the same for MCATS as well....:rolleyes: who knows....However I am not putting Kaplan down b/c I did well on the DAT.

You should go to the cheapest pharmacy school...which is your state school...this is coming from someone that used to think big name ivy league schools are the best...well at the end...having little to NO loans is actually the BEST!! :thumbup:

Good luck! :)

Regarding the cheapest pharmacy schools, it really depends on location and whether the school is public or private.

Generally, the cheapest pharmacy schools are your "in-state" and "public" schools.

This is exactly why public schools are a lot harder to get into than private schools. If you have a terrific GPA and PCAT scores, apply in-state.

For everyone else, apply broadly. I would suggest applying to more private than public schools. Private school tuition is usually higher than public schools. Also, consider the fact that private school tuition for in-state and out of state students are the same.

I just bought Kaplan GRE 500 words flashcards and plan to study them for the verbal part. Anyone here thinks it's gonna be helpful?
I don't see why they would not. Expanding your vocabulary is always a good thing:thumbup:. Now go learn some new words:D

I don't see why they would not. Expanding your vocabulary is always a good thing:thumbup:. Now go learn some new words:D

I am not sure how much the verbal part weigh comparing to other subjects, so I just wonder if I should pay more attention to bio and chem subjects and hopefully get a decent score on verbal and reading part, but as you said, it is always helpful expanding my vocabulary. :)

I am not sure how much the verbal part weigh comparing to other subjects, so I just wonder if I should pay more attention to bio and chem subjects and hopefully get a decent score on verbal and reading part, but as you said, it is always helpful expanding my vocabulary. :)

I got a 99 verbal, 96 biology, 95 reading, and my Chem and Quant were 76 and 75. My composite turned out to be 96.

Take that as you will.

I used this. Bothered me that many of the answers in the back of the book were wrong.
OMG that bothered the hell out of me! Actually, the answers are right but the letter choice is wrong.

I thought Cliffs was a little too easy but it helped me build my skills in the beginning.