pcat coming up !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stylengrace

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've got a bunch of old prep books from about 5 years back for the pcat and my exam is in September. I have been studying those but like it is getting closer and I am so worried. I also need to look at prep books/ practice exams that are more recent !! I heard the Dr. Collins books are really effective but they are so expensive! Any Advice?? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I've got a bunch of old prep books from about 5 years back for the pcat and my exam is in September. I have been studying those but like it is getting closer and I am so worried. I also need to look at prep books/ practice exams that are more recent !! I heard the Dr. Collins books are really effective but they are so expensive! Any Advice?? Thanks.
use what you have. if you arent confident, get Collins and buy the pearson practice tests as they help a ton.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do practice tests until your hands fall off. If you miss something, go back and figure out why you missed that thing. Make sure you're always timing yourself if you're doing the Dr. Collins or Kaplan tests. Pearson practice tests are a must. Also, do not slack on studying math. It will be the hardest section due to time constraints and a bad score is an easy way to drive your composite down. Sometimes people in the classified sections are selling Dr. Collins materials and are willing to expedite the shipping so it gets to you sooner.

I want to learn as much as I can before I take the practice tests! I know practice problems are the best at learning, but I almost used them all up:(

I know what you mean. I got my hands in as many practice problems I can by using pcat kaplan books (old and new editions), oat books & exam crackers mcat books. The public library or your school library are great resources. Just focus on topics that are relevant to the PCAT when you're using books meant for other healthcare professions, so don't waste time with verbal, physics or psychology sections. I found this to be really helpful, because it's all relative- biology on PCAT = biology on MCAT= biology on OAT.

yes, thanks I just started using the online library at my school ! looks helpful, but I think random online practice problems are going to be a last resort. I also think they aren't that bad. What do you suggest about certain note-taking? like should I just read and retain as much info as possible? Because that is what I am trying with the bio/micro/biochem sections.

I used Kaplan PCAT book for content review, and highlighted and made notes for myself, but that is how I typically study for exams. I took the PCAT in July, it really isn't bad. My advice to you is know your basics for the sciences, you don't have to go overkill on the details. This is especially true for general chemistry and ochem. You do have to be fast. Also, reading comprehension section tends to be the weakest subject for most pcat takers, including me. If you haven't already, practice passage reading questions. I scored 59% in reading, the reverse of my composite score lol.

I have the 2016 dr collins. Message me for more info

They bring 17 chem practice tests, 9 Quant tests, a bunch of bio tests and reading tests.
Reading doesn't seem so realistic but it gives you good pointers on what to do during the pcat. I don't think you'll have enough time to go through all the tests if you want to study through the packets. But I think you have studied a ton so you could probably do a complete set of tests for like 17 days.
I am taking mine in October hopefully if not I will take November 1. I am missing 7 Chem tests to do.

My quantitative is horrible but I am doing what I can on that. It is more annoying than anything. My Bio is my best section and my Chem is Ok. After I am done I will get the Pearson practice tests.

I already took the pCat once did horrible because I did not have Collins, I had an old Kaplan book and I only had two weeks to study. My highest was 51 pct in Chem. Now I do have Collins and I've been studying for months. I am also watching YouTube videos. I recommend highly for biology section
Professor Kevin Ahern and Steven Fink. Kevin Ahern gives excellent Biochemistry complete lectures on YouTube and Professor Fink gives human anatomy and physiology lectures.
AK Lectures teaches good genetics.

I want to be done with this pCat ****.

Wow! I have been studying for almost a month and I have to boost how often I study during the day. And thanks for the recommendations! I am having trouble with the stats/ probability section. That can get really lengthy. For anatomy/physio/biochem, I have been reading and taking notes which helps me. I haven't watched many videos, but definitely gonna check those out! I am taking the 2 practice tests I have in about a week. It should be interesting. Sometimes I am really confident and sometimes I have a lot of doubt. I just gotta stay persistent, you know. Good luck!