PCAT Flashcards..REA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfc-2086

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has the PCAT flashcards book......look at Q.50 in the Chemistry section and look at the answer.....dosen't (B) have a smaller Molecular weight than (C).....

A)C3H8
B)C3H4
C)C3H6
D)C4H2

They have models in the book but regardless of that B still has to have a smaller Molecular weight right?

Another mistake?......please respond if u have the book.....

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Weird how someone else picked up on this also...

I was in Borders flipping through that book and came to that problem when I noticed the same thing, which caused me to not buy it. :D

If anyone has the PCAT flashcards book......look at Q.50 in the Chemistry section and look at the answer.....dosen't (B) have a smaller Molecular weight than (C).....

A)C3H8
B)C3H4
C)C3H6
D)C4H2

They have models in the book but regardless of that B still has to have a smaller Molecular weight right?

thanks

B's MW is 40 and C's is 42. Last time I checked 40 was less than 42. But Mesitylene has an empirical formula of C3H4 and its MW is 121. I don't think they're talking empirical formulas here so after all my going on and on...i think it's B.

I just bought this book and found several errors throughout this book. Typos and wrong answers.
Pg 181 QA.
Pete and Lynn travel on bicycles from the same place, in opposite directions, Pete traveling 4 mph faster than Lynn. After 5 hours, they are 120 miles apart. What is Lynn's rate of travel?
Answer: 12mph
The book has a algebraic equation which they work out as this
answer: y/x= 10r+20
Of which I dont understand how they get 12mph as the final answer.
10mph seems right to me.
Am I right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just bought this book and found several errors throughout this book. Typos and wrong answers.
Pg 181 QA.
Pete and Lynn travel on bicycles from the same place, in opposite directions, Pete traveling 4 mph faster than Lynn. After 5 hours, they are 120 miles apart. What is Lynn's rate of travel?
10mph seems right to me.
Am I right?

OK, I'll take a stab. Distance = rate * time, right?

P = L+4

5*(P+L) = 120
P+L = 24
(L+4) + L = 24
2L + 4 = 24
2L = 20
L = 10

I have no idea what y/x = 10r + 20 is supposed to mean in context of this problem.

B's MW is 40 and C's is 42. Last time I checked 40 was less than 42. But Mesitylene has an empirical formula of C3H4 and its MW is 121. I don't think they're talking empirical formulas here so after all my going on and on...i think it's B.

Y'know, C3H4 exists on its own - propyne. C3H6 would be propene. C3H8 would be propane. C4H2 is 1,3-butadiyne.

While it would be helpful to have the whole question, I am leaning towards typo.

Pg 181 QA.
10mph seems right to me.
Am I right?

First of all, let me say how much I love that we have another avian member on the forums.

Second, did you try plugging 10 mph for Lynn's speed to see if it checks out?

I calculated that if Lynn is going 12 mph and Pete is going 16 mph both for 5 hours they will be 140 miles apart. Obviously incorrect.

First of all, let me say how much I love that we have another avian member on the forums.

Second, did you try plugging 10 mph for Lynn's speed to see if it checks out?

I calculated that if Lynn is going 12 mph and Pete is going 16 mph both for 5 hours they will be 140 miles apart. Obviously incorrect.

Thanks!
I don't understand y/x = 10r + 20.
xtsukiyox's explanation is how I worked the problem

I think I will throw this book out.
BIO
Pg.315
Question: A human birth defect produced by a dominant allele of a gene is?
Answer: Hemophilia

Hemophilia is a recessive sex-linked trait, not dominant. Am I right on this?

I don't understand y/x = 10r + 20.

Well, it's the rate. In the equation y=ax+b, what is a? Slope, right? And if you wanted to plot this problem on a graph, what would the slope be? Rate, correct? But using principals of differentiation to solve this problem is way overkill.

Mind you I am pretty tired right now, lets see if this still makes sense to me in the morning.

Well, it's the rate. In the equation y=ax+b, what is a? Slope, right? And if you wanted to plot this problem on a graph, what would the slope be? Rate, correct? But using principals of differentiation to solve this problem is way overkill.

Well, the y/x=10r+20 looks vaguely familiar, but I have no idea why they're doing it in terms of "r". I am not on speaking terms with that section of Calc though, and it was a divorce for irreconcilable differences. So, in other words, I'm sure you're right. :p

Well, the y/x=10r+20 looks vaguely familiar, but I have no idea why they're doing it in terms of "r". I am not on speaking terms with that section of Calc though, and it was a divorce for irreconcilable differences. So, in other words, I'm sure you're right. :p

r for rate? :laugh:

I don't know. :shrug:

A)C3H8
B)C3H4
C)C3H6
D)C4H2

thanks

I think this is a typo.

I think I will throw this book out.
BIO
Pg.315
Question: A human birth defect produced by a dominant allele of a gene is?
Answer: Hemophilia

Hemophilia is a recessive sex-linked trait, not dominant. Am I right on this?

Which edition/book do you have? I have REA's interactive Flashcards 2nd edition and on mine, the question reads " A human birth defect produced by a sex-linked recessive allele of a gene is:" with an answer: hemophilia.
You might have another edition of the book or, another version, "REA's interactive Flash cards Premium CD edition" that just happens to have a lot of typos.

Pg 181 QA.
10mph seems right to me.
Am I right?

In mine, it's a same question with an answer: 10mph with explanation:
d = d1+d2 = (5r+20)+5r
120 = 10r + 20
10=r

where r = Lynn's rate of travel in mph
d = total distance traveled by both
d1 = Pete's position after 5 hours = rate x time = (r+4)5 = (5r+20) miles
d2 = Lynn's position after 5 hours = rate x time = r(5) = 5r miles

Last edited:
G8T0RGRL00: Yes it is the premium CD edition. Your book sounds like it has been corrected.

RX2020: G8T0RGRL00 girl stated her book was the 2nd edition. I don't know if this is the most recent edition but it is definitely been corrected. I would go with the 2nd edition of this book.