PCAT Registration Fee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DirtyFalcons94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a high school senior looking forward to go into pharmacy. I know that you had to take the PCAT in order to get into Pharm school but I had no idea that the registration fee is $150!!. That's insane! I'm use to paying around 50 bucks for the SAT/ACT. How many times have you guys taken the PCAT? Not only do I have to pay tuition and book fees, now I have to pay $150. What happens if you don't do well the first time? You have to pay another $150?! Now I'm rethinking this hold pharmacy thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm a high school senior looking forward to go into pharmacy. I know that you had to take the PCAT in order to get into Pharm school but I had no idea that the registration fee is $150!!. That's insane! I'm use to paying around 50 bucks for the SAT/ACT. How many times have you guys taken the PCAT? Not only do I have to pay tuition and book fees, now I have to pay $150. What happens if you don't do well the first time? You have to pay another $150?! Now I'm rethinking this hold pharmacy thing.

May want to rethink that statement...you may want to reconsider any healthcare profession.

Registration costs as of 2012
PCAT = $199
OAT = $220
MCAT = $235
DAT = $320

You are correct that if you choose to retake the PCAT, you will pay another $150 for it. The application process isn’t cheap. When you sign up on PharmCAS, the processing fee alone is $150 and for each school you apply to, tack on $50. You’ll also be paying supplemental application fees for the majority of these schools, which can range from $40 to over $100, depending on the school. If you apply OOS and get an interview, there’s the traveling expenses. Most schools require a deposit to hold your seat in the class (which will be applied towards tuition), and this can also range in price. I just received my acceptance a few weeks ago, and it was $1000 for my spot.

Whichever healthcare field you choose to go into, whether it be pharmacy, medicine, dentistry, PA, etc, the application process costs money. My friends that took the MCAT paid around $235 just for the exam. For each of these careers, the application services (AMCAS, CASPA, AADAS) charges a fee, along with additional fees for each school applied to and fees for all those supplemental applications.

It’s a good thing you started researching this while you’re still in high school! I know people that have just started applying in the past year and were shocked at how much it costs. Going into the healthcare field isn’t particularly cheap, so be certain that this is what you want to do before you spend lots of money on the application process.

very well stated Illinette2012, Application processes are not cheap at all. However, if its something you really want to do look at it as more of an investment in your future.

I didn't realize that it was the hundred and fifty dollar PCAT fee that was the high barrier to entry to pharmacy school. :smuggrin:

It sucks, but that is hardly the most egregious fee you will pay. PharmCAS is much worse, IMO.

Moving to the PCAT forum.