pcat review books. the best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiosyncratic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i see the kaplan prep book is recommended.. does this still apply towards teh 2007 edition? what do u guys think is the best and effective?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I basically used kaplan book for my preparation for biology. I think it is very good as a guide line. it is very bad book for you to learn if you haven't learned any biology yet. I just started my biology class the end of Aug, and I had to take the PCAT in Oct. So I need to learn all the concepts by myself. I took the General biology book and I went over the concepts mentioned in the kaplan book, and I got 92% on my biology. so definitely it is very helpful.

Since I am a chemistry graduate student who teaches general chem and org chem, i didn't spent whole lot of time.

For verbal, I try to use GRE work prepare book. I forced myself to learn 100 words a day before the test. Although i did't get very good score on it, but definitely i am very satisfied. I am a foreign student and i score 48%.:)

i suggest the kaplan book -- although i think its much more geared toward the chem/bio/math than the verbal/reading
its all i used to study and i did fine

i suggest the kaplan book -- although i think its much more geared toward the chem/bio/math than the verbal/reading
its all i used to study and i did fine
What would you use for verbal? GRE top 200 words? Is brute memorization the only thing you can do or is there a good book that teach techniques for standardize test like this? Every standardized test I have taken basically says I have the vocab of really smart monkey. Thank god, I'm good at math and science.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly didn't have to study at all for the verbal and did pretty well (95%) - so I can't really make a good recommendation for you here ... for the most part, I think that the verbal is pretty straight forward without that much complicated vocab - so I think any GRE vocab book would probably do the trick - but its up to you

the Kaplan book is definitely a good tool to use to study for the pcat. However, some of the questions on there are a bit more complex than on the actual exam. Also the barron's book is a good one but it tends to be easier than the real pcat. In addition to these i used some of the online tests that are offered through harcourt. Overall, try to use all of these sources because the more practice exams you take them more comfortable you'll be when you are taking the real thing.