Pcat -- should i take it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrokenFlowers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is the problem, I've been sick (on a off) since June 30th. I haven't had the time to study the pcat at all but I registered to take it this Saturday. Is it advisable to go ahead and just take it knowing I'm not gonna do well or just take it for the first time in October and not show up this Saturday. I spoke to the customer service rep and he told me they will not refund my money if I don't take it this Saturday? I took Anatomy and Physiology, and Microbiology in the Spring and Summer so I pretty much remember that stuff. I also took Chem 1 and 2 in the Spring and Summer. I don't know anything about Organic Chemistry, that's what I'm worried about. Any suggestions, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a bit late in the game to try to crash-study for Organic. If you decide to go through with it, I'd make sure I looked over nomenclature. It's the easiest part of organic and it's sure to show up on the PCAT.

Hopefully your other scores will pull up your composite. If you're not happy with the scores, take it again in October and just have your explanation ready when it comes time to interview.

I would just go ahead and take it to get a feel for the test. You can always retake it in October or January. Most schools accept your highest score and typically don't care if you take it up to three times. Like the above poster said, your other scores may bring up your composite score. So, I would go ahead and take it, especially since you said you wouldn't be able to get a refund.

OP,
its never too late to study. start skimming hardcore your review book and purchase the practice test from harcourt pearson. Buy two of them because its cheaper per test than if you buy one, and you get double the practice. Remember the type of questions they ask you and learn from it.
Dont plan on taking the test again. Ace it NOW. We all believe in you.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP,
its never too late to study. start skimming hardcore your review book and purchase the practice test from harcourt pearson. Buy two of them because its cheaper per test than if you buy one, and you get double the practice. Remember the type of questions they ask you and learn from it.
Dont plan on taking the test again. Ace it NOW. We all believe in you.

I agree. Don't plan to fail. Go out there and do your best and then make the decision to retake (if necessary) after you get the results.

Remember that there is a no score option. You can take the test, bubble in the no score option and it won't be scored at all. You won't see a score, the schools won't see a score. You can decide after you take the test if you want it scored. You can bubble no score right before you turn it in. At the very least, show up on Saturday to see the actual test and get the experience. You can decide on test day if you want it to count.

Remember that there is a no score option. You can take the test, bubble in the no score option and it won't be scored at all. You won't see a score, the schools won't see a score. You can decide after you take the test if you want it scored. You can bubble no score right before you turn it in. At the very least, show up on Saturday to see the actual test and get the experience. You can decide on test day if you want it to count.

What school will think when they see "no score"? They assume you did bad, am I right?

What school will think when they see "no score"? They assume you did bad, am I right?

If you fill in "no score" it will show up as if you didn't even take it. Let's say for example you signed up for the test 3 different times. You took two of them and the third you bubbled in the "no score" option. When a school looks at your PCAT scores they will only see two scores and not even know you tried to take it your third time.

But for the OP, I would definitely go take it. There is really not much organic chemistry on it - I feel as if it focuses a lot more of gen chem. I honestly wouldn't even fill in the "no score" option either. By doing that, you can at least know where you are at intellectually plus get the experience by taking the test (amount of time given per section, difficulty of particular sections, etc.)

Who knows, you could actually do pretty well! Remember, it is scored by percentile ranking, so it is how you did based on others. So if the test was exceptionally hard, it was probably exceptionally hard for the other test takers as well. Good luck, I'm taking it this Saturday too! I'm not really expecting that great of a score so who knows... I may bump you into the next percentile! :)

If you fill in "no score" it will show up as if you didn't even take it. Let's say for example you signed up for the test 3 different times. You took two of them and the third you bubbled in the "no score" option. When a school looks at your PCAT scores they will only see two scores and not even know you tried to take it your third time.

Thank you very much. Somehow I thought schools will see all the days that you took the test.

Since you can't get a refund, I think you should go for it. I wouldn't try to cram now imo, it'll just make you even more stressed out and it won't improve your score by much. I think you should just aim to go in there after a good night's sleep and as mentioned, get a feel for the actual test format and try your best with what you know. The Pearson practice is quite close but nothing quite matches the real test pressure and working with actual pencil and paper. And as mentioned you lose absolutely nothing if you feel that you didn't do so hot, just bubble in no score.

DEFINITELY go. You paid for the test. If nothing else, it becomes an expensive practice test if you bubble no score. I would wait to do this, though. If you feel pretty good about it, take the score. My guess is you'll be at 50 or higher and won't have to worry about the 50-point jump rule. If you get a terrible feeling about it when you're finished, then no-score it, but it would be nice to see how well you did. You'll probably get a good enough score to get in, actually. Remember they're not looking for the best score, they're really looking for a minimum score.

Go for it. You've got nothing to lose, and even though we have a day left till the PCAT, just go over anything you feel you might not remember or will have difficulty with. If anything, it will only help you ..so just do your best! In the end, if you feel really uncomfortable just circle the no score option and it wont count. But, start reviewing anything you feel you should go over once and then just rely on whatever you've learned through your classes. Best of luck. :thumbup: