PCAT v GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessicaholland1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew any schools that weight PCAT scores higher than GPA. My GPA is not very competitive, but my PCAT score is high. I've seen some people on here w/ acceptances and similar stats, so I plan to apply anyway, but I wanted to know if certain schools care more about PCATs. Is there a website that lists average PCAT score and average GPA of schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation and I ended up getting into three schools with interview offers from four schools total.

I don't know of a specific school that specifically looks at PCAT more favorably than the GPA by default, but your high PCAT should compensate for your relatively low GPA some for any school.

Many schools list their incoming class profile on the school's website. That information includes the average PCAT score and the average GPA of entering students.

Don't quote me, but I don't think there is any school out there that weight the PCAT more than GPA. It's not that hard to get a good PCAT score, but it is however, harder to have and keep a good GPA. Besides, how can you weight something that someone does in one Saturday morning more than what that person's been doing for years?

Members don't see this ad :)
At the interview A&M Kingsville told us they weight the PCAT and the GPA the same.

i took pcat 3 times and my score still sucks (my verbal score is really low b/c english is not my 1st language).. but i do have strong gpa.. when i was applying i was stressing out so much b/c my pcat score is low. but i did get in UF, NOVA n LECOM.. so i guess pcat is not everything, i wouldn't say gpa is everything too.. there are other factors tht play role during application process like LORs, experience, volunteer work, how many Ws you have on ur transcript and lists go on..

PCAT is the strongest predictor of NAPLEX performance, at least for Texas Tech pharm students. GPA is a good predictor too, though. I don't think any of us really know how schools weight them, but I think its safe to assume they're both important.