PCO - classes start??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oranges

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
Got some questions..please reply if you can.

When do the classes begin? Is it Aug22??
How many times do the first year students need to go to the clinic in a week?

thx

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm a first year student @ PCO. Are u in the class of 2011?

Classes started for us this year on August 28, but we had orientation week from August 21st to Aug. 25th.

So I'm assuming that orientation week will be from Aug 20 to Aug 24, 2007 and classes will begin Aug. 27/07.

1st term we went to clinic 5 or 6 times. This term we're going once a week.

If you have any more questions, just let me know!

Hi, how is your schedule like? do you get any Winter, Spring, or Summer breaks? If yes, how long? how hard is PCO...I'll be attending there this coming year...i am excited yet nervous... please let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, how is your schedule like? do you get any Winter, Spring, or Summer breaks? If yes, how long? how hard is PCO...I'll be attending there this coming year...i am excited yet nervous... please let me know!

Hey, we have a weekly schedule, which varies depending on which section you are in (based on your last name). Sometimes we have classes from 8am to 5pm, sometimes we don't have school in the morning, sometimes we don't have school in the afternoon...(and of course you have to take into account the clinic schedule, which varies).

We get thanksgiving break (~1 week), christmas break (almost a month), spring break (1 week), easter (few days), then summer break (2 months).

The 1st Term of PCO wasn't bad. There's so much information thrown at you but its manageable. 2nd term is said to be the most difficult term of the curriculum and at the moment I have to agree!

I'm a member of the PCO class of 2011 also. I was wondering when we'll get information about the experience that we have to have at an optometry office. Is this just a rumor? I heard that we have to work in an office for a whole month the summer before we start classes. I was a little confused about that since we don't have any optometric experience yet. Todd said I'd get information about it later, but if anyone knows about it and can tell me now that'd be great. That way I can start planning my vacation! :)

Hey, we have a weekly schedule, which varies depending on which section you are in (based on your last name). Sometimes we have classes from 8am to 5pm, sometimes we don't have school in the morning, sometimes we don't have school in the afternoon...(and of course you have to take into account the clinic schedule, which varies).

We get thanksgiving break (~1 week), christmas break (almost a month), spring break (1 week), easter (few days), then summer break (2 months).

The 1st Term of PCO wasn't bad. There's so much information thrown at you but its manageable. 2nd term is said to be the most difficult term of the curriculum and at the moment I have to agree!

Hi CDN_twin,
Thanks for the info regarding PCO, but if you don't mind, I have a couple of questions for you. Do you get a summer break every year? I recall reading somewhere that PCO has a summer semester and I thought school was year round pretty much. I just checked the website and it says:

The academic year is divided into three sessions:
  • Session 1 (September – December);
  • Session 2 (January – May);
  • Summer Session (June – August).
Hope you can clarify, thanks! Oh and one more thing...you say the curriculum is heavy, but manageable? How about the labs? I notice you guys have many lab hours in the curriculum? Are the labs hard? Are they like undergrad where you have to do a lab and write up a report and work on problems, etc.. or is it more like meeting once a week to practice your skills using different equipment??? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Hi CDN_twin,
Thanks for the info regarding PCO, but if you don't mind, I have a couple of questions for you. Do you get a summer break every year? I recall reading somewhere that PCO has a summer semester and I thought school was year round pretty much. I just checked the website and it says:

The academic year is divided into three sessions:
  • Session 1 (September – December);
  • Session 2 (January – May);
  • Summer Session (June – August).
Hope you can clarify, thanks! Oh and one more thing...you say the curriculum is heavy, but manageable? How about the labs? I notice you guys have many lab hours in the curriculum? Are the labs hard? Are they like undergrad where you have to do a lab and write up a report and work on problems, etc.. or is it more like meeting once a week to practice your skills using different equipment??? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Yes, you are correct that there is a summer session. In first year, we are required to perform a 160-hr summer clerkship and an online optics course during our 2 month summer "break."

The labs aren't as hard as compared to undergrad. There aren't really any write up reports. The lab varies depending on the subject. And there are usually labs for each subject weekly to enhance what you're learning in class/clinical skills.

We do not get a 2-month summer break in 2nd year though. We only a one-week break during summer session.

I'm a member of the PCO class of 2011 also. I was wondering when we'll get information about the experience that we have to have at an optometry office. Is this just a rumor? I heard that we have to work in an office for a whole month the summer before we start classes. I was a little confused about that since we don't have any optometric experience yet. Todd said I'd get information about it later, but if anyone knows about it and can tell me now that'd be great. That way I can start planning my vacation! :)

You will receive information well before orientation time. You have to complete a community clerkship at 3 diff. sites (OD/MD, retail, and Group Practices). You only have to complete the Retail one prior to orientation and can complete the other 2 before the end of Fall term while at PCO (sites can be arranged). You can also apply for credit for prior experience. You have to perform 3-4 hours in each setting i believe.

1st years have to do a 160-hr summer clerkship in the summer after 1st year (maybe thats what Todd was talkin about).

So, basically you don't need a car in the first term?

Thanks for the replies :)

So, basically you don't need a car in the first term?

Thanks for the replies :)

You can get by without a car first term... but I'm so glad I had a car. I don't know what I'd do without one! (that's just me though) I would get shy or feel bad for constantly asking for rides, and feel bad if people have to wait for you in clinic.

No problem! =D