PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2021-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reconartist

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm going to be applying to PCOM's masters program when it opens in September so I figured I would start a new thread for others who are also going to be applying this cycle! Hopefully we can help each other out with any questions

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Current biomed here. Feel free to ask any questions! I might be slow at responding but I'll try!

Reactions: 3 users
Current biomed here. Feel free to ask any questions! I might be slow at responding but I'll try!
Hey! Honest opinion of the program? Pros vs Cons? Chances of getting in?( especially if you only qualify for interview?) Is it two years or if you qualify the first year, you get in? Thanks :) just planning out my plans!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Honest opinion of the program? Pros vs Cons? Chances of getting in?( especially if you only qualify for interview?) Is it two years or if you qualify the first year, you get in? Thanks :) just planning out my plans!!!!
Honestly, I love the program and I especially love my professors. They all really want you to succeed and are super willing to help you during office hours, i.e. one of my term 1 professors would literally spend over an hour in his office going over material to make sure you understand it. That being said - its definitely a challenging program. The way you study in undergrad simply won't cut it here. During orientation they said the program would be like "drinking from a fire hose" and I think that is definitely accurate. However, it is totally doable and you can definitely do well if you put in the work. I wouldn't recommend having a job outside of school unless it is absolutely necessary.

I can't speak for DO admissions after the program. Some students applied during their first year of being a biomed and are now DO students, but they came in with really good uGPAs to begin with. The majority of biomeds that do well in the program apply during their second year (as I am) for matriculation after biomed graudation. I personally know of 3 students who got in after their second year but I know for a fact there were more than that.

Honestly, I love the program and I especially love my professors. They all really want you to succeed and are super willing to help you during office hours, i.e. one of my term 1 professors would literally spend over an hour in his office going over material to make sure you understand it. That being said - its definitely a challenging program. The way you study in undergrad simply won't cut it here. During orientation they said the program would be like "drinking from a fire hose" and I think that is definitely accurate. However, it is totally doable and you can definitely do well if you put in the work. I wouldn't recommend having a job outside of school unless it is absolutely necessary.

I can't speak for DO admissions after the program. Some students applied during their first year of being a biomed and are now DO students, but they came in with really good uGPAs to begin with. The majority of biomeds that do well in the program apply during their second year (as I am) for matriculation after biomed graudation. I personally know of 3 students who got in after their second year but I know for a fact there were more than that.

Thanks a lot for that information, helps a lot! Def sounds like a good program. Was wondering if you have an idea on what the average stats are for getting into the program? You don't have to mention your personal stats if you don't want, just wondering if I have a good shot at making it, thanks!

Anyone have any idea when last years app opened up or when it should be opening up for the Biomed PA campus? So far I only see the GA campus on GradCAS.

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea when last years app opened up or when it should be opening up for the Biomed PA campus? So far I only see the GA campus on the GradCAS.

It actually opened up today, September 10th

Do you remember how long it took to hear back about the program? My application says complete

I sent my application but I never got an email giving me access to the pcom application portal so I can check the status of my application. Did anyone else experience this problem?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my application but I never got an email giving me access to the pcom application portal so I can check the status of my application. Did anyone else experience this problem?
Yes I still havent received it yet. I think they have not started reviewing

Yeah they havent sent anything to me either

Yeah, I called them. They said they'll start checking in 3 weeks. We're pretty early. I was wait-listed over the summer but sadly didn't make it because I applied too late. Hopefully we can all get in this cycle.

I'm just banking on the guaranteed (conditional) acceptance after 2 years.

Yeah, I called them. They said they'll start checking in 3 weeks. We're pretty early. I was wait-listed over the summer but sadly didn't make it because I applied too late. Hopefully we can all get in this cycle.

I'm just banking on the guaranteed (conditional) acceptance after 2 years.
Thanks for the heads up - keep us all posted!

Heads up - they started sending out emails with links to the application portal

Heads up - they started sending out emails with links to the application portal
Yes sir, and mine is like almost completely unfilled lulz. This is going to be a long and arduous process. Sigh...

Best of luck to us all!

Does anyone know how to tell when your application gets marked as complete in the PCOM applicant portal?

Hey guys! i sent in my application yesterday, and submitted my MCAT scores this morning. Hoping for the best.
really counting on this program to get me into med school since my stats are little bit on the low end.

i haven't receive anything portal link from them
You will probably get one in the next few days, I watched their webinar a few weeks ago and they said they do not start reading and making decisions until December - January

Hey guys! i sent in my application yesterday, and submitted my MCAT scores this morning. Hoping for the best.
really counting on this program to get me into med school since my stats are little bit on the low end.
The yield from this program to get into the med school really isn't that great.
A lot of 'promised interview' places end up just filling seats with better applicants from normal app cycle and post-bacc students get pushed out.

Dangerous game. I encourage students to be wary of this before commiting tens of thousands of dollars into a program that will only slightly raise your chances if going to med school...

A lot of 'promised interview' places end up just filling seats with better applicants from normal app cycle and post-bacc students get pushed out.

Dangerous game. I encourage students to be wary of this before commiting tens of thousands of dollars into a program that will only slightly raise your chances if going to med school...
seriously? i didn't know this...based on the previous threads this program people seem to have a positive experience with this program.
I guess at this point, i am desperate to get in somewhere that will eventually lead me to med school

Is this from your own experience with the program or what you've heard from others?

Last edited:
Thanks for being so honest. Is this from your own experience with the program or what you've heard from others?
My own research + a couple friends of mine went - both did well, both didn't get in post-interview. Now one is in Pod school, the other did well and got into a Dental program.

I was heavily looking into link programs all over, before I had the fortune of getting accepted to a DO school.

Current BioMed, finished up my first trimester this week. Since this class was online a lot of the TA's we had were either previous BioMed's (1st year or second year DO now) or second year BioMeds and from speaking with them I think I should share some blunt perspective with you. The class has 120 students. A good number of people know they want to do 2 years, another chunk want to go to PA school, or whatever else that's not DO. So, even though many students get the grades to meet conditional acceptance there will ones who do not want to apply to the DO program just yet or at all. Two of my classmates consistently scored in the high 90's on everything and have the background for a strong application, but they WANT to complete their masters by doing the two years. Another thing you need to keep in mind is that there are those who do well in the program but are actually pretty rude/immature people who just do not know how to speak to teachers. There have been a number of times this semester where I cringed at how some people spoke to faculty. There's no way that doesn't play a role in your chances of admission since the admissions committee in fact does consult with the teachers you had your first trimester-- if you get granted an interview. The school is very big on mutual respect and that means how you interact w/ each other and faculty.

Current BioMed, finished up my first trimester this week. Since this class was online a lot of the TA's we had were either previous BioMed's (1st year or second year DO now) or second year BioMeds and from speaking with them I think I should share some blunt perspective with you. The class has 120 students. A good number of people know they want to do 2 years, another chunk want to go to PA school, or whatever else that's not DO. So, even though many students get the grades to meet conditional acceptance there will ones who do not want to apply to the DO program just yet or at all. Two of my classmates consistently scored in the high 90's on everything and have the background for a strong application, but they WANT to complete their masters by doing the two years. Another thing you need to keep in mind is that there are those who do well in the program but are actually pretty rude/immature people who just do not know how to speak to teachers. There have been a number of times this semester where I cringed at how some people spoke to faculty. There's no way that doesn't play a role in your chances of admission since the admissions committee in fact does consult with the teachers you had your first trimester-- if you get granted an interview. The school is very big on mutual respect and that means how you interact w/ each other and faculty.
Hey! Thanks for sharing this!
Can you share your experience with the program so far? Do you like it? What are some positives and negatives?

Hey! Thanks for sharing this!
Can you share your experience with the program so far? Do you like it? What are some positives and negatives?
I think the previous post about "drinking from a firehose" is very accurate. Although it was online they still packed the same amount of information they would in person. From speaking with prior BioMeds we definitely had a very different experience in Anatomy than they did. Our exams were open book, but they were made in a way where even though you could use Google you would either run out of time or not be able to catch all the points accurately. There were images of cadavers and clinical correlation questions, so that's where people who did not study as though the test would be closed notes would falter the most. For Histology, it wasn't too bad. I do wish they had higher quality images for the lab, it was tough to figure out what I was looking at half the time but then when I'd use third party resources the photos were crisp and very easy to read. So maybe it's a copyright issue where the school can't use images from other resources. Overall I felt very supported by my teachers when I'd reach out to them, there wasn't that disconnect I thought I'd feel by being online.

I personally like the program and am happy with my decision to come here. We are living in the era of COVID right now so it's really important to have perspective. I do want to say one thing that irks me into another dimension is that they did not discount the tuition since we were online and had no in person labs. I do feel played by that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I just called PCOM (south georgia campus) and they said they don't start sending decisions until spring :lame:

I think the previous post about "drinking from a firehose" is very accurate. Although it was online they still packed the same amount of information they would in person. From speaking with prior BioMeds we definitely had a very different experience in Anatomy than they did. Our exams were open book, but they were made in a way where even though you could use Google you would either run out of time or not be able to catch all the points accurately. There were images of cadavers and clinical correlation questions, so that's where people who did not study as though the test would be closed notes would falter the most. For Histology, it wasn't too bad. I do wish they had higher quality images for the lab, it was tough to figure out what I was looking at half the time but then when I'd use third party resources the photos were crisp and very easy to read. So maybe it's a copyright issue where the school can't use images from other resources. Overall I felt very supported by my teachers when I'd reach out to them, there wasn't that disconnect I thought I'd feel by being online.

I personally like the program and am happy with my decision to come here. We are living in the era of COVID right now so it's really important to have perspective. I do want to say one thing that irks me into another dimension is that they did not discount the tuition since we were online and had no in person labs. I do feel played by that.
Thanks for sharing bro helps a lot

Hey, does anyone know how long it took their MCAT score or any other standardized score to get sent to the program? I was advised it may take up to four weeks, but has anyone had any experience with it being shorter?

Hey, does anyone know how long it took their MCAT score or any other standardized score to get sent to the program? I was advised it may take up to four weeks, but has anyone had any experience with it being shorter?
For the Georgia campus, I emailed the admissions office and it was fixed the next day.

For the Georgia campus, I emailed the admissions office and it was fixed the next day.
Actually sorry. I completely misread your question. I didn’t have the submit any test scores due to my gpa being above a 3.2.

What does the test score column show for you? My column is still showing blank but Im in the same boat as you - my GPA is above a 3.2.

What does the test score column show for you? My column is still showing blank but Im in the same boat as you - my GPA is above a 3.2.
It says waived per GPA. I e-mailed admissions and they changed it the next day.

My own research + a couple friends of mine went - both did well, both didn't get in post-interview. Now one is in Pod school, the other did well and got into a Dental program.

I was heavily looking into link programs all over, before I had the fortune of getting accepted to a DO school.
Was this recent? The conditional acceptance requirement is just two years old.

hi! wondering if anyone can chance me for this program. 3.5 cgpa 501 mcat planning to retake in a few months. lots of volunteer experience, two different research experiences both lab and clinical, and currently working as an ED scribe. pcom is my top choice med school so really banking on this program.

hi! wondering if anyone can chance me for this program. 3.5 cgpa 501 mcat planning to retake in a few months. lots of volunteer experience, two different research experiences both lab and clinical, and currently working as an ED scribe. pcom is my top choice med school so really banking on this program.
You can get into a other DO schools with those stats - why waste it on this program with a chance you won't get in after 2 years?

My cousin has the same mentaility with a program back home as well and I don't understand. The end goal is to become a doctor, not go to specific school to become a doctor.

yes, absolutely have a shot!

You can get into a other DO schools with those stats - why waste it on this program with a chance you won't get in after 2 years?

My cousin has the same mentaility with a program back home as well and I don't understand. The end goal is to become a doctor, not go to specific school to become a doctor.
my science gpa is the reason i want to do a post-bacc not sure exactly what it is but its on the low side around a 3.1 or 3.2

my science gpa is the reason i want to do a post-bacc not sure exactly what it is but its on the low side around a 3.1 or 3.2
It's more reasonable to do such a program with that low of a GPA, but the poster I was referring to had a 3.5 and an above 500 MCAT

So, I'm a little bit confused.
How many first year biomed students apply to the DO program and how many get accepted?

How many first year biomed students apply to the DO program (to marticulate second year) and how many actually get accepted?

How many first year biomed students apply to the DO program (to marticulate second year) and how many actually get accepted?

not sure of exact numbers, but i’d say around 30+ applied and maybe 10 got in after first year. a lot more get in after second year!

not sure of exact numbers, but i’d say around 30+ applied and maybe 10 got in after first year. a lot more get in after second year!
Thank you for your response! Do you know what the reason could be for the other students who met the guaranteed interview requirements not getting in?

Thank you for your response! Do you know what the reason could be for the other students who met the guaranteed interview requirements not getting in?

not sure about all cases, but I think a lot just has to do with grades/MCAT. They like to see how you do in all first year classes (which they obviously can’t determine until the end of the school year). And a lot of students with lower MCATs have time to study and retake it between 1st and 2nd year. So overall just giving students more time to strengthen their app, if that makes sense!