PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2021-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks!

Can you describe a typical day of studying? What do you usually do and how do you get ready for tests?

Do you walk into the test thinking "I don't know anything?
since we're all online indefinitely, in the first semester we were all paired with about 5-6 other people in anatomy teams and teaching squads so a lot of us just carried those connections into this semester and still study together over zoom or in person if they live by one another. so my group and I will always try to master all the content before the next class to not fall behind. for example whatever is taught Mon night, you have to know it before the next class given on the following Mon. I'll avg about 10-12 hours a day just because I take breaks in between to not burn out and pick a day or two in the week to do light review so I can also just do regular life stuff. I've never gone into a test thinking I don't know anything, I've been more scared of how they'd ask questions because there are diff teachers that teach diff topics throughout the class, some better than others at making questions.

Typical day would be either studying w/ my team doing active recall activities, writing out pathways for myself, attending office hours with the teachers to better understand what they consider to be high yield, or rewatch the recorded lectures because sometimes they say stuff that's testable but not on the slides. one dude in our class makes mock exams and shares them with everyone (an actual hero) and even if they're not reflective of the difficulty level of the actual exam it's great review because he also puts explanations of concepts and topics. literally wish him nothing but good things in life because it's so selfless of him to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
since we're all online indefinitely, in the first semester we were all paired with about 5-6 other people in anatomy teams and teaching squads so a lot of us just carried those connections into this semester and still study together over zoom or in person if they live by one another. so my group and I will always try to master all the content before the next class to not fall behind. for example whatever is taught Mon night, you have to know it before the next class given on the following Mon. I'll avg about 10-12 hours a day just because I take breaks in between to not burn out and pick a day or two in the week to do light review so I can also just do regular life stuff. I've never gone into a test thinking I don't know anything, I've been more scared of how they'd ask questions because there are diff teachers that teach diff topics throughout the class, some better than others at making questions.

Typical day would be either studying w/ my team doing active recall activities, writing out pathways for myself, attending office hours with the teachers to better understand what they consider to be high yield, or rewatch the recorded lectures because sometimes they say stuff that's testable but not on the slides. one dude in our class makes mock exams and shares them with everyone (an actual hero) and even if they're not reflective of the difficulty level of the actual exam it's great review because he also puts explanations of concepts and topics. literally wish him nothing but good things in life because it's so selfless of him to do.
Thanks for all the help, all of this information really helps a lot!

How did you or others in the program go about finding apartments/finding roomates?

Can you just study the slides and be fine or is book material testable?

I like that the lectures are recorded.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!

Can you describe a typical day of studying? What do you usually do and how do you get ready for tests?

Do you walk into the test thinking "I don't know anything?"
We have three lecture days: Mon-Tue-Th (5:00 PM-9:00 PM). They are recorded and attendance is not mandatory for most lectures. Unless, they have a TBL activity for that lecture. Which students know about in advance from the syllabus. Anatomy had a lot of group activity and TA review session built in. Histo had virtual lab time and then a quiz at the end.

My study strategy for exams:
1) Look at slides before hand- create your own outline of what is the goal of this lecture. 30 minutes of slide review for each major topic helps me tremendously when I am attending lecture.
2) During lecture: Highlight emphasized portions of the slide and your typical note-taking ( I use my iPad to take digital notes- makes things a lot easier for Anatomy type of lectures)
3) I create a super condensed word document for each lecture topics. This way I can review everything if I want to quickly and not long powerpoints to read through.
4) Anki decks: only high yield information- terminology, facts, etc. I also write my own questions to test myself over the material.
5) Active recall and space repetition is key! You want to review your material as often as you can.

This is what you can do by yourself. Now I would highly suggest getting a study group. My group meets every week to hold each other accountable for that week's content. We literally go through each slide and tables- does not take as long tbh. We meet often before exams and quiz each other over material. This works for me- I don't like to take excessive notes or excessive cards. I keep things simple and rely heavily on testing myself with groups or my own questions.

Use of text book was high in anatomy for me- this was because of the virtual nature of the course. I looked at as many diagrams as I could in the books. I don't use books as often- only for topics that I want learn more about. Even then tho, I'd watch a YT video before.

We have three lecture days: Mon-Tue-Th (5:00 PM-9:00 PM).
So you are completely free for the other days? That would mean a lot of time to study.

Is the schedule in medical school five days of class?

Reactions: 1 user
that person must've been salty that the program isn't a walk in the park. as other people have mentioned, it's hard. and it's hard on purpose because you have to prove that you're better than your undergrad gpa or low MCAT (whatever it is that's holding you back on your app number wise). the teachers are supportive an receptive to your needs if you reach out to them for help because no one will be holding your hand. it's unfortunate that there are people who do get burned by the program either bc they couldn't keep up with the rigor or their expectations weren't aligned with what they were actually getting themselves into bc the program is expensive and time consuming. you get out of it exactly what you put in. my acceptance to the DO program came last month (+2 other schools) and without this program no other schools would've even looked at me because I didn't have the grades to show my capabilities.

A's are hard to come by but it's possible.
thank you! If you dont mind me asking what were ur stats? Also, you said A's were hard to come by. Are A- more realistic then? Ofc you need to put in the work, but are you saying even if you do study, its not likely you'll get an A

thank you! If you dont mind me asking what were ur stats? Also, you said A's were hard to come by. Are A- more realistic then? Ofc you need to put in the work, but are you saying even if you do study, its not likely you'll get an A
3.2 sgpa and cgpa 505 MCAT. Not really sure how to answer that Q because even getting an A- isn't as simple. like in MBM right now you get 3 exams and each is worth 33% while last semester in histology the midterm was 40% and final 60%. so it depends what kind of studier you are. some students I know didn't do well on the midterm bc they prepared wrong so they went to tutoring/met with the teacher for advice, changed their strategies and bounced back. it all depends on you, but the teachers deff don't have some crazy mentality like "no one gets an A in my class" you just really need to devote yourself--which is easier said than done, hence my multiple breaks throughout the day prolonging my own study time

Reactions: 1 users
Can you just study the slides and be fine or is book material testable?

I like that the lectures are recorded.
yea most people I know don't open any of the books available online except for anatomy which was a huge help because they used pics from diff resources on exams so getting familiar w/ diff sources was a must

ppt's and recordings are deff enough for anything non lab related

How do they ensure that you don't cheat when taking online classes?

3.2 sgpa and cgpa 505 MCAT. Not really sure how to answer that Q because even getting an A- isn't as simple. like in MBM right now you get 3 exams and each is worth 33% while last semester in histology the midterm was 40% and final 60%. so it depends what kind of studier you are. some students I know didn't do well on the midterm bc they prepared wrong so they went to tutoring/met with the teacher for advice, changed their strategies and bounced back. it all depends on you, but the teachers deff don't have some crazy mentality like "no one gets an A in my class" you just really need to devote yourself--which is easier said than done, hence my multiple breaks throughout the day prolonging my own study time
Based on what you know about your class, would you say most people have similar stats?

Also, did you apply with the 505 or did you get that score after you were accepted?

Based on what you know about your class, would you say most people have similar stats?

Also, did you apply with the 505 or did you get that score after you were accepted?
I applied with it. Um most people had higher gpa's than me just from casual convos but not by a lot. but a good amount have gpa's in the higher 2's as well, which is why they're in the program to bump it up w/ graduate level classes. they don't weigh more on your AACOMAS (unfortunately) but if you're set on attending PCOM the one good thing is that the dean tells you at the beginning that your performance in the program is a better indicator of your abilities than your undergrad gpa so they take that into consideration more.

I applied with it. Um most people had higher gpa's than me just from casual convos but not by a lot. but a good amount have gpa's in the higher 2's as well, which is why they're in the program to bump it up w/ graduate level classes. they don't weigh more on your AACOMAS (unfortunately) but if you're set on attending PCOM the one good thing is that the dean tells you at the beginning that your performance in the program is a better indicator of your abilities than your undergrad gpa so they take that into consideration more.
My concern is that I have the 3.2 GPA and they said I don't need to submit the MCAT score with the application. Should I not worry about that or should I be trying to get an MCAT score in by August even though they are telling me to not worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys do you think our first semester will be online? If so, do you think we will be required to live near the campus? I heard someone say that classes are online indefinitely

So you are completely free for the other days? That would mean a lot of time to study.

Is the schedule in medical school five days of class?
I asked someone who is a M2 to find your answer for this. It is 5 days a week from 8-12 pm then lab in the after noon 2-3:30 or 3:30-5:00 pm. That's for a light block. Heavy blocks: 8-2/3 pm and labs twice a week. Occasional Monday or Friday off. Somewhere between 20-30 hours a week on block per week. But classes are online and you can watch them whenever its best for you.

I asked someone who is a M2 to find your answer for this. It is 5 days a week from 8-12 pm then lab in the after noon 2-3:30 or 3:30-5:00 pm. That's for a light block. Heavy blocks: 8-2/3 pm and labs twice a week. Occasional Monday or Friday off. Somewhere between 20-30 hours a week on block per week. But classes are online and you can watch them whenever its best for you.
Thanks. That is very useful so that we can see the difference in the workload for each program.

Med school appears to be the MS program on steroids then.

Thanks. That is very useful so that we can see the difference in the workload for each program.

Med school appears to be the MS program on steroids then.
I believe the added OMM is the extra part. Overall academic content should not be drastically different for first year. DO students do more clinical stuff which adds more content. It just adds to your plate bit more, but as far as courses go- very similar. That's why your MS performance can be used to extrapolate how well you will do in the DO program. I don't know a lot about the DO program tho, someone can feel free to jump in and shed light.

I believe the added OMM is the extra part. Overall academic content should not be drastically different for first year. DO students do more clinical stuff which adds more content. It just adds to your plate bit more, but as far as courses go- very similar. That's why your MS performance can be used to extrapolate how well you will do in the DO program. I don't know a lot about the DO program tho, someone can feel free to jump in and shed light.
How clinically-oriented is the MS program? I remember someone telling me that the students in the program want to pursue a variety of careers; not just medicine.

How clinically-oriented is the MS program? I remember someone telling me that the students in the program want to pursue a variety of careers; not just medicine.
In anatomy , we had clinical vignettes related to previous lecture topics. Also, you will see clinical significance of a lot things you learn. People in BMS are pursuing healthcare related fields, (PA, DDS, PharmD, PhD, MS, and more). This program would def create a strong foundation for those careers and more. I'd say most want to go into the DO program tho from what I have heard.

Does anyone know how many first years applied to the DO program and how many actually go in through biomedical sciences???

My concern is that I have the 3.2 GPA and they said I don't need to submit the MCAT score with the application. Should I not worry about that or should I be trying to get an MCAT score in by August even though they are telling me to not worry about it.
deff don't worry about it, they're not lying to you about that. biomedical apps usually aren't looked at until 1st semester grades come out so there's time. they give you a dec 1 deadline to submit your app btw. now when you take the MCAT is up to you. I personally would not try taking it while enrolled because it's hard to get the time to sit and practice for the MCAT while keeping up w/ the workload. you still have so much time to take it in the summer before the program starts

Hey guys do you think our first semester will be online? If so, do you think we will be required to live near the campus? I heard someone say that classes are online indefinitely
if they're online you don't need to live nearby.

I am a 1st year BMS, so let me chime in on this since I had a very similar mindset when I applied to this program. When I applied into the program, I came in with a 3.5. I wasn't necessarily looking for the GPA boost (I had other reasons for attending). So when I considered this program, I thought to myself "how easy would it be to get A's" since I didn't want to come in and get a sub 3.0 GPA to tank my GPA.

The A's are very doable if you put in the time to study. IMO, I thought that the majority of the exam Q's for Histo, MBM, and IP were mainly discrete questions that you can get from simple recall of the PPT. Anatomy had more thought-provoking Q's, but they weren't anything that were super hard. The only time I really looked into any textbooks was when I took anatomy because (as others have said), the diagrams were really helpful and the textbook was written real well/easy to understand. I never opened a textbook for histo, MBM, and IP and I have gotten A's (or currently at an A).

What really helps you in this program is if you have a heavy science background. I know some student's who never took biochemistry and they are currently taking more time to study for MBM (MBM is VERY biochem heavy) to make up for that. If you took the MCAT, I think that would be a big help for these classes because you will have already been exposed to a bunch of the topics that we are learning. I am currently recycling my old MCAT notes + adding new notes from PPT slides. By doing this, I don't have to relearn as much since I already have the notes made.

My only caution is the grading scale at PCOM. I did not know this when I applied (and many other students), but if you go on the website, you will see that an A (>95%) and a A- (90-94%). For the most part, I don't think our classes are/will be curved since the class averages are in the 80's, so it just means that you have to keep performing well for the most part. AGAIN, this is my take on the program.

If I apply to both the South GA and GA campuses, can I keep my letter of recommendation and personal statement the same?

Also if anyone is at the Biomedical sciences program or DO program at either of those campuses, I would love to know about your experiences!

If I apply to both the South GA and GA campuses, can I keep my letter of recommendation and personal statement the same?

Also if anyone is at the Biomedical sciences program or DO program at either of those campuses, I would love to know about your experiences!
Yes you can keep everything the exact same, and use it for the other DO/MD schools. Send me a DM for experiences

I am a 1st year BMS, so let me chime in on this since I had a very similar mindset when I applied to this program. When I applied into the program, I came in with a 3.5. I wasn't necessarily looking for the GPA boost (I had other reasons for attending). So when I considered this program, I thought to myself "how easy would it be to get A's" since I didn't want to come in and get a sub 3.0 GPA to tank my GPA.

The A's are very doable if you put in the time to study. IMO, I thought that the majority of the exam Q's for Histo, MBM, and IP were mainly discrete questions that you can get from simple recall of the PPT. Anatomy had more thought-provoking Q's, but they weren't anything that were super hard. The only time I really looked into any textbooks was when I took anatomy because (as others have said), the diagrams were really helpful and the textbook was written real well/easy to understand. I never opened a textbook for histo, MBM, and IP and I have gotten A's (or currently at an A).

What really helps you in this program is if you have a heavy science background. I know some student's who never took biochemistry and they are currently taking more time to study for MBM (MBM is VERY biochem heavy) to make up for that. If you took the MCAT, I think that would be a big help for these classes because you will have already been exposed to a bunch of the topics that we are learning. I am currently recycling my old MCAT notes + adding new notes from PPT slides. By doing this, I don't have to relearn as much since I already have the notes made.

My only caution is the grading scale at PCOM. I did not know this when I applied (and many other students), but if you go on the website, you will see that an A (>95%) and a A- (90-94%). For the most part, I don't think our classes are/will be curved since the class averages are in the 80's, so it just means that you have to keep performing well for the most part. AGAIN, this is my take on the program.
I'd agree with! My experience has been very similar. I am at an A currently as well, but you have to do well on each test. For IP even the quizzes- since they are worth 16% of your total grade. MCAT background helps tremendously with MBM. At the same time: the questions are very fair. Straight from lecture and PPT.

Just got accepted into PCOM Georgia. I was waitlisted last cycle. Finally got in.

If anyone has a link to a Facebook group for the Georgia campus, please link me!

• Love
Just got accepted into PCOM Georgia. I was waitlisted last cycle. Finally got in.

If anyone has a link to a Facebook group for the Georgia campus, please link me!
Mind sharing your stats? Did you do anything to improve your app in the last year?

Accepted at all 3 campuses as of today!

Mind sharing your stats? Did you do anything to improve your app in the last year?
I had no standardized exam like mcat,pcat,gre etc.

my overall gpa was a 3.38
but my science gpa is like a 2.5

completed 2/4 and accepted to PCOM PA today. so excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Does everybody send just the one LOR. The app says you can send up to 6.

I have a GPA that is +3.2 and everything on my application is complete on the portal, besides the score section. Will they waive this automatically or should I email admissions? (@ PCOM GA)

I have a GPA that is +3.2 and everything on my application is complete on the portal, besides the score section. Will they waive this automatically or should I email admissions? (@ PCOM GA)
If you're degree transcript says 3.2 you do not need to submit a score. I asked them already.

Does anyone know the matriculation rate of the DO linkage through PCOM GA? Also, how do you like the Biomedical Science MS program? How is it during the time of covid? Any advice on being successful in the program? Do you need to take the MCAT for your AACOM application on file is considered for the linkage? I see it says the deadline is December 1st, and I want to apply as a first year masters student but I do not think I can take the MCAT this summer

I heard people hearing back within days and for others it takes weeks to months. It honestly depends. For me it took about a month.
okay! If I do not need to submit a test score, should I email them to have them waive it in the portal? Or will they eventually do it?

okay! If I do not need to submit a test score, should I email them to have them waive it in the portal? Or will they eventually do it?
I would give them a heads up, they didn't update mine until I asked them to.

Here's the link to the PCOM Georgia BioMed accepted students:

Is anyone still waiting on a decision? My application was complete 10/23 and I have yet to hear anything :/

I just got accepted to PCOM GA today!! Anyone make a group for accepted GA students?

I got accepted today but I am skeptical of the program due to the price and mixed review
I got into the GA campus and I am very grateful.

If anyone has any positive things to say about the GA Campus please let me know