PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2021-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a few questions about this program and I was wondering if someone here already has the answers.

1. I have greater than a 3.2 for my graduating GPA but my cumulative GPA will be lower. Are they just looking for the 3.2 cutoff on my transcript or are they taking a gradCAS calculation?

2. Is the conditional DO acceptance really a guaranteed admission if you meet all the requirements for the two-year program?

3. Which track during the second year is best for students who want to matriculate into the DO program? I am interested in the Philly campus.

Finally, is this a legitimate bridge program or is it one of those moneymakers where they try to weed you out.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

2. Admission is conditional on your interview (ie. you still need to have a favorable interview). In general I think admissions weighs participation in the biomed program heavily.

3. The specific track doesn't matter! - Ideally you'd want to pick one that interests you the most since you spend a lot of time learning about it and doing your capstone/thesis. Students from all programs are equally considered for the DO program.

4. It's not a bridge program in the sense that doing the biomed program automatically gets you into the DO program. You still have to do the work, do well in the program, have the extracurriculars, MCAT, letters of rec etc. Again, a lot of biomeds are successful in getting into PCOM or other DO/MD schools.

2. Admission is conditional on your interview (ie. you still need to have a favorable interview). In general I think admissions weighs participation in the biomed program heavily.

3. The specific track doesn't matter! - Ideally you'd want to pick one that interests you the most since you spend a lot of time learning about it and doing your capstone/thesis. Students from all programs are equally considered for the DO program.

4. It's not a bridge program in the sense that doing the biomed program automatically gets you into the DO program. You still have to do the work, do well in the program, have the extracurriculars, MCAT, letters of rec etc. Again, a lot of biomeds are successful in getting into PCOM or other DO/MD schools.

Do you think it is best to have the MCAT before applying or does the program provide resources that will help you to do better on the MCAT after the first year of the program?

Also, do you know anything about the 3.2 GPA? The way it is worded is so confusing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it is best to have the MCAT before applying or does the program provide resources that will help you to do better on the MCAT after the first year of the program?

Also, do you know anything about the 3.2 GPA? The way it is worded is so confusing.
3.2 or higher on the transcript from the school you got your undergrad degree from (not including any postbac classes I think) allows you to apply to BMS without an MCAT score. Any classes you took at other schools and received credit for are generally not included on this transcript.

If you plan to apply DO through the 1 year (certificate) track, I'd strongly recommend taking the MCAT the summer prior to starting classes.

3.2 or higher on the transcript from the school you got your undergrad degree from (not including any postbac classes I think) allows you to apply to BMS without an MCAT score. Any classes you took at other schools and received credit for are generally not included on this transcript.

If you plan to apply DO through the 1 year (certificate) track, I'd strongly recommend taking the MCAT the summer prior to starting classes.
This is good to know!

Any other advice you can share on the program? Is it comparable to other programs out there?

there’s also a discount on a kaplan MCAT course through PCOM and your first year classes help with the MCAT a lot!

I think the program is similar to others in terms of courses you take with the added bonus of being heavily considered for the DO program. A lot of programs either don’t have linkages to a med school or if they do they have high requirements (ex: 3.5 GPA just for an interview).

there’s also a discount on a kaplan MCAT course through PCOM and your first year classes help with the MCAT a lot!

I think the program is similar to others in terms of courses you take with the added bonus of being heavily considered for the DO program. A lot of programs either don’t have linkages to a med school or if they do they have high requirements (ex: 3.5 GPA just for an interview).
are you in the program now?

Hey, current 1st-year Biomed! Was recently accepted into the DO program at PCOM as well. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I'm new to SDN so I apologize if this question is not appropriate to ask here. I just submitted my application to the MBS program in Georgia and I was wondering when they usually let you know their decision? I'm moving in a few months so I just wanted to know if I should call them to update my address- thank you!

Hi everyone!
I just got an acceptance letter to PCOM Georgia!
Has anyone else heard back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, current 1st-year Biomed! Was recently accepted into the DO program at PCOM as well. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
Did you apply this past fall to the DO program without having had any Biomed stats yet? Do you feel specific accalades/participation within your experience thus far in PCOM's Biomed program provided the leg up for your admission? Thank you!

Did you apply this past fall to the DO program without having had any Biomed stats yet? Do you feel specific accalades/participation within your experience thus far in PCOM's Biomed program provided the leg up for your admission? Thank you!
Yes I had my application in during the summer for the DO program. The PCOM biomed program definitely helped and they looked at my first trimester grades. It was a blind interview and the interviewers did not know anything about me except my name. When I mentioned I was in the biomed program, they were super enthusiastic that I was already apart of the PCOM community. In addition, being in the biomed program gives you access to interview prep from advisors which is SUPER helpful as theyre familiar with the types of questions asked and how to tell your story during your interview in a manner that really impresses.

I would call them to inform them that you plan to move in the next few months and ask about the turnaround time for acceptance. Which GA campus did you apply to?
Thank you so much, I will reach out to them. I applied to the Georgia campus in Suwanee!

I applied to PCOM GA back in October for this program and I havent heard anything....Im starting to get nervous. I was accepted to the Pennsylvania one

I have accepted to PA and I had everything submitted on October 12th!

Is one curriculum harder than another with the three campuses and do all campuses have the same chance for the DO linkage agreements?

I'm asking because all the curriculum's look very different.

From what I am reading here, it looks like most of you have received an admission. When I looked at the acceptance rates posted, it appears that 50% of applicants don't get accepted.

Do you think those who are not getting accepted have very low GPA's or do you think everybody applying has a similar GPA and the schools look beyond the GPA to offer an acceptance?

From what I am reading here, it looks like most of you have received an admission. When I looked at the acceptance rates posted, it appears that 50% of applicants don't get accepted.

Do you think those who are not getting accepted have very low GPA's or do you think everybody applying has a similar GPA and the schools look beyond the GPA to offer an acceptance?
They definitely look beyond your GPA and determine an acceptance off of your whole application, volunteering, clinical experience etc

They definitely look beyond your GPA and determine an acceptance off of your whole application, volunteering, clinical experience etc
That's good to know but I am still surprised there is no interview component. I'm personally very good at interviews.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back usually, just submitted my app today.

Hey everyone, I am a first year BioMed at the PA campus. I have been accepted to the DO program recently- like today lol. I know many people on SDN answered my questions last year before I started this program. That helped a lot in terms of choosing to attend PCOM. If you have any questions, I can answer with the best of my ability! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
How many people applied to the DO program after first year and how many first years actually get in? I'd meet the requirements for an guaranteed interview but not a conditional acceptance. Also, how hard is it to get A's in the program? I just saw a post on reddit where a dude dropped out of PCOMs Biomed program because he said it was not legit and most kids who apply to DO program from there don't get in. Only a few do

Hey everyone, I am a first year BioMed at the PA campus. I have been accepted to the DO program recently- like today lol. I know many people on SDN answered my questions last year before I started this program. That helped a lot in terms of choosing to attend PCOM. If you have any questions, I can answer with the best of my ability! Good luck!
How many people applied to the DO program after first year and how many first years actually get in? I'd meet the requirements for an guaranteed interview but not a conditional acceptance. Also, how hard is it to get A's in the program? I just saw a post on reddit where a dude dropped out of PCOMs Biomed program because he said it was not legit and most kids who apply to DO program from there don't get in. Only a few do

My experience has been extremely positive. I love PCOM and its community- faculty is super supportive. We have a huge group me where people share notes and anki decks. My undergrad stats are not stellar cGPA 3.3. I looked at the MS program as a way to prove my academic potential. Honestly, that's the whole point of a SMP in the first place. This program will give you a real shot at getting into PCOM IMO. Getting A is definitely doable, it does require a lot of work. I don't know the exact numbers of how many Biomeds get in or how many apply. I know people in my class who have gotten in.

Reactions: 1 users
Program is excellent for those who excel in it. Unfortunately a lot of people who are not med school calibre do poorly, and end of the day it is a SMP (high risk high reward).The classes are hard first year not going to lie. I wouldn't do this program to begin with you have 503-505+MCAT and 3.0 gpa.
Off top of my head I want to say 5-9 people get in first year and a lot more second years get in. The program has no set in stone linkage, only for the interview. A's are very difficult to get in a few courses (4.0 is probably unrealistic), but maintaining above a 3.2 gpa in the program and having a 500+ MCAT will make you very competitive for a seat (but not set in stone).

Does anyone who is in the program have a job or is the program too difficult to maintain one?

Program is excellent for those who excel in it. Unfortunately a lot of people who are not med school calibre do poorly, and end of the day it is a SMP (high risk high reward).The classes are hard first year not going to lie. I wouldn't do this program to begin with you have 503-505+MCAT and 3.0 gpa.
Off top of my head I want to say 5-9 people get in first year and a lot more second years get in. The program has no set in stone linkage, only for the interview. A's are very difficult to get in a few courses (4.0 is probably unrealistic), but maintaining above a 3.2 gpa in the program and having a 500+ MCAT will make you very competitive for a seat (but not set in stone).
That's an excellent point- program is rigorous! SMPs have always been considered high risk high reward scenarios. This is due to the fact- you are auditioning for med school. You are taking the same courses taught by the exact faculty of DO program.

I am a bit of an optimist. IMO: PCOM does not look at only stats. Of course, 3.2 Undergrad cGPA and 500+ MCAT will make you eligible for the Conditional acceptance. However, there is so much more to the app than your stats. PCOM has a whole person approach.

I'd say make sure you have solid EC's. Shadow experience and volunteering experience will always look great. COVID-19 times- virtual shadowing cannot hurt. IT will show creativity and persistence if anything tbh. On top of that, solid letters of recommendation. DO letter will help alot, but I realize COVID-19 makes all of this very tricky.

As part of the BioMed program: many way to be involved virtually in many many clubs. You can learn a lot from your peers! It keeps things fun, and I am able to do this even with the academic obligations.

When starting any SMP: you have to go in with the mentality of CRUSHING it. I'd advise against a 3.2 in this program, because you would want to apply broadly to other schools. SMPs- 3.5+GPA is a solid score to show what you are capable of. Bottom line, it's up to you honestly. Is it difficult? Yes. Nothing is guaranteed, you are there to prove why you are a good candidate. I would not doubt yourself because of stats tho.

Last edited:
Does anyone who is in the program have a job or is the program too difficult to maintain one?
I know some people who work part-time. I honestly do not think its a good idea. You should focus on learning and sharpening your study habits. But def wouldn't do it in the first fall trimester- to get your feet wet.

This is the chart that was on last year's thread. There's no way to know this cycle's numbers since it's still ongoing.

I agree with the above posters. In general, you have to really consider why you want to do an SMP. Most of us don't have great GPA's but the whole point of this is to show aptitude for the rigors of professional school. You are trying to show them you are capable.. and paying a price for that opportunity. So you should be going in with the mindset of getting that A and nothing but that A. Now chips fall where they may (you might end up with A- or B+ or B), but at least you'll have an honest answer as to whether or not you're prepared to perform in medical school.

Program is fair and the professors are very supportive IMO. You should ideally have a medical school "ready" application in terms of EC's and MCAT before attending.

Last edited:
This is the chart that was on last year's thread. There's no way to know this cycle's numbers since it's still ongoing.

I agree with the above posters. In general, you have to really consider why you want to do an SMP. Most of us don't have great GPA's but the whole point of this is to show aptitude for the rigors of professional school. You are trying to show them you are capable.. and paying a price for that opportunity. So you should be going in with the mindset of getting that A and nothing but that A. Now chips fall where they may (you might end up with A- or B+ or B), but at least you'll have an honest answer as to whether or not you're prepared to perform in medical school.

Program is fair and the professors are very supportive IMO. You should ideally have a medical school "ready" application in terms of EC's and MCAT before attending.
Regarding the 3.2 GPA, are you suggesting to apply with a competitive MCAT score even though it is not required?

This is the part I'm concerned about because I barely have above the 3.2 and they said I don't have to submit an MCAT score just yet so I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Regarding the 3.2 GPA, are you suggesting to apply with a competitive MCAT score even though it is not required?

This is the part I'm concerned about because I barely have above the 3.2 and they said I don't have to submit an MCAT score just yet so I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
I'm really not too sure about how much more competitive a good MCAT makes you for the BMS program. If you feel otherwise confident about your app I'd say go ahead and apply. Other option is to make moves on the MCAT in the next two months or so, but Im always weary about rushing an MCAT attempt. That's another one of those high-risk high-reward scenarios lol

I'm at a 4.0 in the program right now and work super part time maybe total of 10 hours a week online. Tbh I won't be doing it anymore because even having 10 hours a week would be nice to have to myself since so much of my day is dedicated to studying.

I agree with everything said here. side note, upper classmen in the DO program who did the biomedical program first said basically what we learn for out first exam (~3 weeks worth of info) for example is what they learn in a week. so the BM program is a pretty decent indicator if you can hang

that person must've been salty that the program isn't a walk in the park. as other people have mentioned, it's hard. and it's hard on purpose because you have to prove that you're better than your undergrad gpa or low MCAT (whatever it is that's holding you back on your app number wise). the teachers are supportive an receptive to your needs if you reach out to them for help because no one will be holding your hand. it's unfortunate that there are people who do get burned by the program either bc they couldn't keep up with the rigor or their expectations weren't aligned with what they were actually getting themselves into bc the program is expensive and time consuming. you get out of it exactly what you put in. my acceptance to the DO program came last month (+2 other schools) and without this program no other schools would've even looked at me because I didn't have the grades to show my capabilities.

A's are hard to come by but it's possible.

I applied with a ~3.3 and no valid MCAT score at the time for the BMS- they look at your entire app. They will read your essay, LOR, and ECs. I would take the MCAT before starting the BMS, especially if you are shooting for that first year acceptance. Last year, I think the avg MCAT matriculant were 505 for the DO program. I would aim for that or higher.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with everything said here. side note, upper classmen in the DO program who did the biomedical program first said basically what we learn for out first exam (~3 weeks worth of info) for example is what they learn in a week. so the BM program is a pretty decent indicator if you can hang
Are the exams similar to the med program or does the program test you any differently? Ex. first order questions vs. second and third order-type questions.

Are the exams similar to the med program or does the program test you any differently? Ex. first order questions vs. second and third order-type questions.
from what I've been told by my mentors they're more second/third order, which is what we just started to experience this trimester w/ MBM. our last MBM exam had 87 Q's (3 extra credit) and the DO could be a little higher I never asked that but I will now and get back to you. :) I will say the content delivery is very similar, for example some teachers use the same PowerPoints they use for the DO students but cut out a lot of the pathology or med school specific info so they'll be like "ignore this slide ignore that bit"

from what I've been told by my mentors they're more second/third order, which is what we just started to experience this trimester w/ MBM. our last MBM exam had 87 Q's (3 extra credit) and the DO could be a little higher I never asked that but I will now and get back to you. :) I will say the content delivery is very similar, for example some teachers use the same PowerPoints they use for the DO students but cut out a lot of the pathology or med school specific info so they'll be like "ignore this slide ignore that bit"

Thanks!

Can you describe a typical day of studying? What do you usually do and how do you get ready for tests?

Do you walk into the test thinking "I don't know anything?"