Dec 21, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I have a few questions about this program and I was wondering if someone here already has the answers.

1. I have greater than a 3.2 for my graduating GPA but my cumulative GPA will be lower. Are they just looking for the 3.2 cutoff on my transcript or are they taking a gradCAS calculation?

2. Is the conditional DO acceptance really a guaranteed admission if you meet all the requirements for the two-year program?

3. Which track during the second year is best for students who want to matriculate into the DO program? I am interested in the Philly campus.

Finally, is this a legitimate bridge program or is it one of those moneymakers where they try to weed you out.

Thanks

premedstudent102

2+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
2. Admission is conditional on your interview (ie. you still need to have a favorable interview). In general I think admissions weighs participation in the biomed program heavily.

3. The specific track doesn't matter! - Ideally you'd want to pick one that interests you the most since you spend a lot of time learning about it and doing your capstone/thesis. Students from all programs are equally considered for the DO program.

4. It's not a bridge program in the sense that doing the biomed program automatically gets you into the DO program. You still have to do the work, do well in the program, have the extracurriculars, MCAT, letters of rec etc. Again, a lot of biomeds are successful in getting into PCOM or other DO/MD schools.

Dec 21, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
2. Admission is conditional on your interview (ie. you still need to have a favorable interview). In general I think admissions weighs participation in the biomed program heavily.

3. The specific track doesn't matter! - Ideally you'd want to pick one that interests you the most since you spend a lot of time learning about it and doing your capstone/thesis. Students from all programs are equally considered for the DO program.

4. It's not a bridge program in the sense that doing the biomed program automatically gets you into the DO program. You still have to do the work, do well in the program, have the extracurriculars, MCAT, letters of rec etc. Again, a lot of biomeds are successful in getting into PCOM or other DO/MD schools.

Do you think it is best to have the MCAT before applying or does the program provide resources that will help you to do better on the MCAT after the first year of the program?

Also, do you know anything about the 3.2 GPA? The way it is worded is so confusing.

About the Ads
Dec 21, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Do you think it is best to have the MCAT before applying or does the program provide resources that will help you to do better on the MCAT after the first year of the program?

Also, do you know anything about the 3.2 GPA? The way it is worded is so confusing.
3.2 or higher on the transcript from the school you got your undergrad degree from (not including any postbac classes I think) allows you to apply to BMS without an MCAT score. Any classes you took at other schools and received credit for are generally not included on this transcript.

If you plan to apply DO through the 1 year (certificate) track, I'd strongly recommend taking the MCAT the summer prior to starting classes.

Dec 21, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
3.2 or higher on the transcript from the school you got your undergrad degree from (not including any postbac classes I think) allows you to apply to BMS without an MCAT score. Any classes you took at other schools and received credit for are generally not included on this transcript.

If you plan to apply DO through the 1 year (certificate) track, I'd strongly recommend taking the MCAT the summer prior to starting classes.
This is good to know!

Any other advice you can share on the program? Is it comparable to other programs out there?

premedstudent102

2+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical

there’s also a discount on a kaplan MCAT course through PCOM and your first year classes help with the MCAT a lot!

I think the program is similar to others in terms of courses you take with the added bonus of being heavily considered for the DO program. A lot of programs either don’t have linkages to a med school or if they do they have high requirements (ex: 3.5 GPA just for an interview).

Dec 21, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
there’s also a discount on a kaplan MCAT course through PCOM and your first year classes help with the MCAT a lot!

I think the program is similar to others in terms of courses you take with the added bonus of being heavily considered for the DO program. A lot of programs either don’t have linkages to a med school or if they do they have high requirements (ex: 3.5 GPA just for an interview).
are you in the program now?

Phillyboy81

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey, current 1st-year Biomed! Was recently accepted into the DO program at PCOM as well. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Jan 10, 2021
Hi! I'm new to SDN so I apologize if this question is not appropriate to ask here. I just submitted my application to the MBS program in Georgia and I was wondering when they usually let you know their decision? I'm moving in a few months so I just wanted to know if I should call them to update my address- thank you!

Shotapp

5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2015
GA
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi! I'm new to SDN so I apologize if this question is not appropriate to ask here. I just submitted my application to the MBS program in Georgia and I was wondering when they usually let you know their decision? I'm moving in a few months so I just wanted to know if I should call them to update my address- thank you!
I would call them to inform them that you plan to move in the next few months and ask about the turnaround time for acceptance. Which GA campus did you apply to?

Jan 12, 2021
Hey, current 1st-year Biomed! Was recently accepted into the DO program at PCOM as well. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
Did you apply this past fall to the DO program without having had any Biomed stats yet? Do you feel specific accalades/participation within your experience thus far in PCOM's Biomed program provided the leg up for your admission? Thank you!

Phillyboy81

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Did you apply this past fall to the DO program without having had any Biomed stats yet? Do you feel specific accalades/participation within your experience thus far in PCOM's Biomed program provided the leg up for your admission? Thank you!
Yes I had my application in during the summer for the DO program. The PCOM biomed program definitely helped and they looked at my first trimester grades. It was a blind interview and the interviewers did not know anything about me except my name. When I mentioned I was in the biomed program, they were super enthusiastic that I was already apart of the PCOM community. In addition, being in the biomed program gives you access to interview prep from advisors which is SUPER helpful as theyre familiar with the types of questions asked and how to tell your story during your interview in a manner that really impresses.

Jan 10, 2021
I would call them to inform them that you plan to move in the next few months and ask about the turnaround time for acceptance. Which GA campus did you apply to?
Thank you so much, I will reach out to them. I applied to the Georgia campus in Suwanee!

Jan 23, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I applied to PCOM GA back in October for this program and I havent heard anything....Im starting to get nervous. I was accepted to the Pennsylvania one

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads