PCOM Biomedical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i just visited GA-PCOM this past weekend. i was told by a current biomed student that cadavers are used in anatomy based on availability. as in if there are cadavers left after the DO students use them, then the biomeds get to use them. you can correct me if i'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the minimum MCAT score PCOM-GA takes? I looked all over their website and they don't say. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to PCOM-Philly in early January. I have a 3.5 GPA (both cumulative and sci) and a 25R on MCAT (10P, 7V, 8B).

I got a letter in mid-Jan saying that my app was complete and then a couple of weeks ago, I got another letter saying that my application is on hold for review...

Has anyone gotten a letter like this one? I think it's basically saying that they are going to wait for more applications and then make a decision on mine... is this bad news..? I submitted additional letter of rec too..

I applied to PCOM-Philly in early January. I have a 3.5 GPA (both cumulative and sci) and a 25R on MCAT (10P, 7V, 8B).

I got a letter in mid-Jan saying that my app was complete and then a couple of weeks ago, I got another letter saying that my application is on hold for review...

Has anyone gotten a letter like this one? I think it's basically saying that they are going to wait for more applications and then make a decision on mine... is this bad news..? I submitted additional letter of rec too..

you have a pretty solid GPA, and an ok MCAT, if I were you, I wouldn't do an SMP-its too risky, study and take the MCAT again and get 30+ and you'll be in med school, try DO and lower tier MD:thumbup:

you have a pretty solid GPA, and an ok MCAT, if I were you, I wouldn't do an SMP-its too risky, study and take the MCAT again and get 30+ and you'll be in med school, try DO and lower tier MD:thumbup:

i was planning on retaking the MCAT this june and apply to both DO and MD this summer. i just wanted to do a post-bacc or smp in the gap year... just in case if i dont get in this coming cycle, i can apply the next. what are your thoughts? still no smp..? what do you mean by it's too risky?

I just got a letter saying my application was on hold today...My GPA is 3.3 with a mid twenties MCAT as well...Not real sure what all that means but I'm in the same boat... Retaking my MCATs in late April then planning on applying to schools all over the place but applying to SMP's and such in the meantime...

Hopin I get in because I really like the program and wouldn't mind doing some extra work to prepare for med school...

Fattyman, have you called the admissions department or emailed them to find anything out about why your app was put on hold?

I got the same letter about three weeks ago and I applied in November. From what I have been told PCOM-Philly is about four months behind in their decision process so I am hoping this is the case and I still have a chance.

I just got a letter saying my application was on hold today...My GPA is 3.3 with a mid twenties MCAT as well...Not real sure what all that means but I'm in the same boat... Retaking my MCATs in late April then planning on applying to schools all over the place but applying to SMP's and such in the meantime...

Hopin I get in because I really like the program and wouldn't mind doing some extra work to prepare for med school...

Fattyman, have you called the admissions department or emailed them to find anything out about why your app was put on hold?

i called but they didnt tell me why it was on hold.. but they told me i could send in add'l material if i wanted to, so i sent in 2 more letters of rec. i wonder when they'll start mailing out acceptances.

has anyone been accepted to pcom-philly this cycle?

For those of you who are on hold or on the wait list... I too was on the wait list. I didn't get off the wait list until a month before classes started. I did some summer enrichment while on the wait list and made PCOM know of my progress before I started in the summer, the middle of the summer program, and after. I'm convinced that showing PCOM that I was taking steps in the right direction in the summer months made the difference. Don't give up guys and gals. Fight for it. :luck:

I'm in! I just got my letter in the mail today. I was so excited since it's my first acceptance. Is anyone definitely going here? PCOM (Philly) has always been one of my top choices.

Hey All,
I see most of you have already applied for Fall 2009. I am starting to submit my package for PCOM GA post bac, I hope that I am not too late :confused: Anyone else in the process, or am I behind?

i don't think you're late to apply. they have rolling admissions and they don't stop taking applications until all the seats are full. i just applied super early because i really wanted to go to ga-pcom. good luck btw!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, do you think it would be okay to apply in like mid june? (I heard there isn't a deadline...) Also, how much does it cost to attend the program? I could only find out that it costs like $631 per credit, but I am not sure how many credits people take...

I'm pretty sure you take 29 credits (over 3 sessions) for the first year for both PA and GA campuses. If you choose to do the second, it's obviously more.

Does anyone have contact information for the programs?

Hey guys, do you think it would be okay to apply in like mid june? (I heard there isn't a deadline...) Also, how much does it cost to attend the program? I could only find out that it costs like $631 per credit, but I am not sure how many credits people take...

1. I think you should apply as soon as you possibly can. I was talking to someone in the admissions office the other day at PCOM-PA, and they said the class is "filling up quickly". Even if you have things missing, I would at least apply now to get things rolling if you want to come here for the upcoming fall.

2. The total for 3 semesters is 20,839.00... including 180 for parking.

3. MAK1186 is correct: 7 hours MBM, 3 hours infectious process, 6 hours anatomy, 4 hours histology, 3 hours pharm, 3 hours neuro, 3 hours physio = 29 hours for Philly

Fifty 3rds said:
Does anyone have contact information for the programs?
http://www.pcom.edu/admissions/Admissions.html for contact info...

Does anyone know the school code for GA-PCOM? I just submitted my application for the PCOM certificate program at GA. I am about to request my GRE scores to be sent but the GA campus is not listed under Georgia or Pennsylvania.

So I was just accepted into the GA post bacc program. Only plannign on doing the certificate program. My question is this, early posts are telling people not to do this program if they have good stats...I have a 3.45GPA a 3.2 science and a low MCAT 22 (i think the MCAT was holding me back). Should I do this program? Is it worth the 20,000$ plus more for rent and food? Or should I take teh year off and study for another MCAT?

thanks for any opinions...My deposit is due on the 20th, and I'm nervous to finalize anything.

I was just accepted into GA-PCOM but was wondering if the LECOM post bac might be a better option. I know LECOM has more medical seats open for postbac students because of it's sheer size but does PCOM get just as many of it's postbac students into medical school? There is also a big difference in tuition for the two programs $13,000 for LECOM vs $21,000 for PCOM. I'm getting kind of worried as I need to send in a deposit by the 20th but I haven't heard back from LECOM yet...

Does anyone know the school code for GA-PCOM?

Give them a ring or email them to find out.

wackyfizzle said:
Should I do this program? Is it worth the 20,000$ plus more for rent and food? Or should I take teh year off and study for another MCAT?

I think it greatly depends on where you want to go next year for medical school. Attending biomed in GA, like in PA, will guarantee you get an interview with their DO adcom. Is that worth 20k? Is taking the biomed classes and proving to the adcom that you can handle the DO school-like classes? Is 20k way out of budget at this current situation? Truth is, I think there are many questions that you've got to ask youself before you make the final decision. I know a friend that has a lower MCAT than you, but with a better GPA. They were in the biomed program in PA and is now going to start the DO program in the fall. Also, i'm sure there will be a couple of students in the biomed class that will be working on retaking the MCAT, you should try to study with them if you decide to do this program.

I think if it was me in your shoes, I'd really try to show progress. If you decide you are not going to do the biomed program, make sure you have something lined up so you stay busy in your pursuit of medical school. Don't let the only thing that you do till now and medical school be retaking the MCAT. I think med schools love to see dedication and progress. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Navigon said:
I know LECOM has more medical seats open for postbac students because of it's sheer size but does PCOM get just as many of it's postbac students into medical school?

Currently at PA-PCOM, out of the 60 or so students who are in the biomed program, there are about 6 who have been accepted to the DO program, 2 rejections, and about 5 people who will be waiting for third semester grades until the adcom makes a final decission. Not everyone has "heard back" from the adcom, so i'm sure the number of acceptances will increase. I really don't know much about LECOM, so I can't make any comparisons. If you got some other questions that I could help you with about PCOM, let me know. Good luck

I have applied to DO school at PCOM and was put on the waitlist this past week. I was wondering if I should apply to the Biomed program while I am still on their waitlist. I feel like if I do that, they would rather take me off the waitlist to put me in the certificate class. I guess what I am wondering is if I apply to the certificate program, will they stop looking at my application on the waitlist? Anyone have a similar situation that may help enlighten me. If I do not get into med school this year, I want to live in Philly.

Thanks in advance

I have applied to DO school at PCOM and was put on the waitlist this past week. I was wondering if I should apply to the Biomed program while I am still on their waitlist. I feel like if I do that, they would rather take me off the waitlist to put me in the certificate class. I guess what I am wondering is if I apply to the certificate program, will they stop looking at my application on the waitlist? Anyone have a similar situation that may help enlighten me. If I do not get into med school this year, I want to live in Philly.

Thanks in advance

It would probably be best to ask them directly. Hear it straight from the adcom.

You probably already know how the wait-list works at PCOM, but they are always looking at the files from front to back when spots open up. With the deadline coming up for the last group of acceptances to put down a deposit, there's a possibility more spots will be open.

Hey All! Haven't posted in a while, just sent everything in last week, except for test scores. I take the Mcat on May 2nd, so I hoping for the best with everything. Good luck to you all, hope we all get in!:)

I was wondering where everyone is planning on living? Or if anyone has reccomendations?

I applied to the post-bacc today. In case anyone else was wondering, I called and asked if they would take you off of the waitlist if you applied to the post-bacc and they said no. I am hoping this is the truth. Am I still early in the application process? Also, did anyone apply online? It did not ask me for a application fee. Do they ask for it after they receive that Policy Agreement page?

hey. I spoke to a lady in admissions about 2 weeks ago and she said that there is no application fee if you apply online. She recommends all students applying to apply online because of that.

Wackyfizzle, There are some really affordable apts in Snellville and Lawrenceville area that you could check out. I saw some on apartments.com, in the far east region of Atlanta.

hey. I spoke to a lady in admissions about 2 weeks ago and she said that there is no application fee if you apply online. She recommends all students applying to apply online because of that.

Thanks, I called to confirm, not because I didn't believe you, and you are right. Apply online and it is free.

I'm in! I just got my letter last week. Best of luck to all. Is anyone for sure going to pcom next year?

I'm in! I just got my letter last week. Best of luck to all. Is anyone for sure going to pcom next year?

Congrats :thumbup:

Goodluck to everyone else waiting to find out. I'm still waiting to hear back from admissions at PCOM for DO school.

I'm almost positive I'm going to PCOM (Philly). I already sent in my deposit. Depending what I hear from other schools that may change, but I don't think it's likely. Maybe we'll be classmates =)

Congrats :thumbup:

Goodluck to everyone else waiting to find out. I'm still waiting to hear back from admissions at PCOM for DO school.

I just got into the Biomed program in Philly last Friday. I heard back from the school relatively fast. It might be because I had already applied to their DO program, got my interview, and then the rejection. Good luck plausible on getting into the DO program, and good luck to everyone else. I'll see my future classmates in the Fall! By the way, anyone know when classes actually start? The website's academic calendar did not say.

Hey guys, I got into Philly PCOM and GA PCOM for the Biomed programs!!! I just found out about Philly a few days ago but it looks like i'm going to turn it down because GA PCOM seems like an ideal fit for me and its closer to home and i'm familiar with the city already!!!

I am also waitlisted at UNTCOM medical masters program but I'm not sure if i would go there even if i get accepted off the waitlist even though I am from texas!! It just seems like PCOM biomed program is pretty well known and if you do really well, I think you have a great shot of getting into their DO school!!

Anyone presently in the biomed program know how many people got accepted into medical schools this year while in the program??

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone presently in the biomed program know how many people got accepted into medical schools this year while in the program??

As it stands right now at PA, about 2/3 out of 60 students applied. 9 have been accepted, 4 have been denied, and there are a ton of classmates who have gotten waitlisted or "waiting for the last trimester grades before final decision".

When I interviewed here in PA, there were a few other biomeds from GA as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck in GA!

Thanks plausible for the info, that helps!! So why do you think those 4 people or anyone for that fact would get rejected?? I mean I know people will get rejected but is it because they're grades weren't high enough or something else they didnt like? And for all the people who got waitlisted or waiting for their final grades, do you think they will eventually get accepted once their grades are in if they are good? Basically, I want to know like say you get a 3.7 GPA or higher in the program when you apply, you think there is a pretty good chance they will get accepted into the D.O. school??

Well thanks and I hope you get off the waitlist and get accepted, only time will tell...good luck!!!

I just got into the Biomed program in Philly last Friday. I heard back from the school relatively fast. It might be because I had already applied to their DO program, got my interview, and then the rejection. Good luck plausible on getting into the DO program, and good luck to everyone else. I'll see my future classmates in the Fall! By the way, anyone know when classes actually start? The website's academic calendar did not say.

Class start Monday, August 17th. Orientation is Tuesday, August 11th. See you then!!

Thanks plausible for the info, that helps!! So why do you think those 4 people or anyone for that fact would get rejected?? I mean I know people will get rejected but is it because they're grades weren't high enough or something else they didnt like? And for all the people who got waitlisted or waiting for their final grades, do you think they will eventually get accepted once their grades are in if they are good? Basically, I want to know like say you get a 3.7 GPA or higher in the program when you apply, you think there is a pretty good chance they will get accepted into the D.O. school??

Well thanks and I hope you get off the waitlist and get accepted, only time will tell...good luck!!!

Year-after-year, everyone (myself included) ask who gets to continue onto DO school after the cert. program. I really wish I could give you some hard stats, rather than anecdotal evidence, but that's all I got. Hopefully, PCOM will post up some stats about their biomed program.

From talking to former biomeds in the DO program, there is a great amount of variability. There are no set number of seats held for biomed students, but you do get an interview.

Ok, here's some anecdotal evidence... Those who got rejected did poorly in the program (C or D's in the courses), or had really low MCAT scores (you need to have at least a 6 or 7 in each section for PCOM to consider you as an applicant... i don't remember which one). There were a few biomeds from last year that were retaking some courses with us this year. So, really try your best to get A's in the post bac program. Also, if you don't think you have a high enough MCAT, try to take care of it over this summer so you won't be trying to study for it during the biomed program.

For those who were waitlisted or are put on "waiting for 3rd trimester grades".... I don't really know why. Many of my friends are in that boat, and I really hope they do get accepted because they study and work really hard. Some of them commented on the interview not going as well as they had hoped. The wait list has started moving, and there has been 1 student that I know of that has been taken off the wait list.

As for the 3.7 and getting into DO school... the higher the GPA in the biomed program, the higher your chances. I'm sure you didn't want to hear something so vague, but seriously do your best.

In the end, there's a lot more that goes into selecting who moves onto DO school, other than the biomed grades & the MCAT, but they do make a big difference.

I'm hoping someone can help...I'm having a tough decision between three different programs...I was accepted to both UMDNJ programs (Newark and Stratford), to the Ga-PCOM SMP program and got an interview invite for the DPMS program at Drexel COM. I'm not sure that I'm going to the interview at Drexel for I can't afford not to work in the summer <---family depends on my income and the program requires you to enter a summer session for 6 weeks. I know an SMP is what you make of it and whether your chances of getting into an allopathic school are what you make of your SMP, I'm a little worried that I might be hindering my options by accepting a DO SMP vs. an MD SMP. I know doctors are doctors and titles don't matter. Unfortunately, I'm from Orlando and I would love to enter UCF's new medical school. My entire family plus my wife's family lives there and it would be a tremendous emotional support to have them look over my children while I focus in med school (yes I know, I have to be accepted first). My point is, will either SMP give me the same chance of becoming a better applicant or would each one hinder my application in one way or another. I know there are a lot of people in the SND community that do not show any love for DO's schools. However, my position is not choosing a ginve program but rather cities and in this case, it would be my dream to attend my hometown's school.

I'm hoping someone can help...I'm having a tough decision between three different programs...I was accepted to both UMDNJ programs (Newark and Stratford), to the Ga-PCOM SMP program and got an interview invite for the DPMS program at Drexel COM. I'm not sure that I'm going to the interview at Drexel for I can't afford not to work in the summer <---family depends on my income and the program requires you to enter a summer session for 6 weeks. I know an SMP is what you make of it and whether your chances of getting into an allopathic school are what you make of your SMP, I’m a little worried that I might be hindering my options by accepting a DO SMP vs. an MD SMP. I know doctors are doctors and titles don't matter. Unfortunately, I'm from Orlando and I would love to enter UCF's new medical school. My entire family plus my wife's family lives there and it would be a tremendous emotional support to have them look over my children while I focus in med school (yes I know, I have to be accepted first). My point is, will either SMP give me the same chance of becoming a better applicant or would each one hinder my application in one way or another. I know there are a lot of people in the SND community that do not show any love for DO's schools. However, my position is not choosing a ginve program but rather cities and in this case, it would be my dream to attend my hometown's school.

I think GA PCOM and your hometown would be a good SMP for you (but get accepted first ;) I say try to go to your hometown SMP first, emotional support is usually priceless and can definitely add rocket fuel to your motivation to want to do well in a program, I really don't think a MD or DO SMP should really matter, I mean you can apply to both MD or DO medical schools after doing the SMP program, its really a brand name, unless your hell bent on certain specialties.

I'm hoping someone can help...I'm having a tough decision between three different programs...I was accepted to both UMDNJ programs (Newark and Stratford), to the Ga-PCOM SMP program and got an interview invite for the DPMS program at Drexel COM. I'm not sure that I'm going to the interview at Drexel for I can't afford not to work in the summer <---family depends on my income and the program requires you to enter a summer session for 6 weeks. I know an SMP is what you make of it and whether your chances of getting into an allopathic school are what you make of your SMP, I’m a little worried that I might be hindering my options by accepting a DO SMP vs. an MD SMP. I know doctors are doctors and titles don't matter. Unfortunately, I'm from Orlando and I would love to enter UCF's new medical school. My entire family plus my wife's family lives there and it would be a tremendous emotional support to have them look over my children while I focus in med school (yes I know, I have to be accepted first). My point is, will either SMP give me the same chance of becoming a better applicant or would each one hinder my application in one way or another. I know there are a lot of people in the SND community that do not show any love for DO's schools. However, my position is not choosing a ginve program but rather cities and in this case, it would be my dream to attend my hometown's school.

have you looked into barry university? it's in miami. they have master's programs, and it seems like it would be closer to home for you. :)

To chandini,

I did and I was admitted but then I saw the crazy bill. Plus I lived in Miami for a few years and Barry is not in the safest part of town. Also, PCOM is better known, so i'm not to eager to go back to south florida.

I'm trying to decide if I need to enter a post-bac program (PCOM is my only consideration)...here are stats based on AACOMAS:

non-science gpa: 3.75
science:3.11
overall: 3.36
MCAT: 9VR, 10PS, 10BS = 29Q

I have decent extracurriculars but without research. Here is the kicker, I re-took 2 classes that I got a C in (orgo I and microbio) and I got a C again. I know that sucks but I was not focused for a while. Also, i got a D+ in physics I and I'm retaking that now and I should have atleast a B. I'm leaning toward applying to a few programs. I hope I'm not too late for PCOM's. Any input will be helpful. thanks

I'm really confused... I finally got access to Nucleus and according to PCOM GA's biomed handbook, Human Anatomy and Embryology are the first two classes we'll be taking. Is this a mistake on their part? Well, maybe they want to change things up a bit this coming semester. If someone could please verify this, I'd really appreciate it! Also, I am 3 months pregnant right now, so I wonder if I'll have to wear a mask in anatomy lab because of the formaldehyde(???) If someone knows anything about this, please let me know!

Thanks

golfin87: If research isn't your thing, then that is fine. Remember, different strokes for different folks. As for applying to PCOM's biomed program, consider the following:
  1. I do think you have a great chance of getting in, esp. with your stats. Start your application immediately as PCOM does rolling admissions.
  2. Are you doing anything else this upcoming fall to improve your app?
  3. Do you want to spend another 20k?
  4. Is PCOM one of your top choices for med school? PCOM looks at biomed applicants in a better light
  5. Don't worry so much about your "re-take". I've retaken a ton of classes and got into the biomed program.
  6. This program is pretty well known and has been around for about 15 years, so this will def. help your application if you do very well. It can open more doors for you

carbolfuchsin: This probably won't help, but in PA, Human anatomy is def. in the second semester. Maybe they are trying to change things up, perhaps line up biomed anatomy with the DO students? Nah, that doesn't make much sense since the cadaver won't be fully dissected.. Hopefully someone from GA can chime in. I'd ask you to check blackboard, but I doubt any class info would be up yet. I think you could email the professors though... or call PCOM-GA? As for wearing a mask... yes, you will have to. There was a person that wore a mask in our class, doesn't seem to be a hassle. If the anatomy class at PA is any indication, you can spend as much time or as little time in there as you want ( I swear, there were some students that never went to lab... they used pictures from www.netanatomy.com or just studied from Rohen). Congrats on the bundle of joy by the way :)

Thank you! And that is pretty amazing that students can just learn human anatomy from a textbook, I wonder if I could learn to do that. I will probably just e-mail the school and see if that's really true about anatomy being in the first trimester or just a typo or something. The cool thing would be to take the embryology class while in my third trimester of pregnancy! I think that would be pretty wild.

I'm just 2 finals away from finishing up the PCOM-PA's biomed cert. program and I just found out they accepted me for their DO program this fall :soexcited:. It's been such a long road, and I'm excited beyond belief! Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back from the biomed program and I'll be around to answer any questions. I'll post up a review of the program in a week or two. Don't ever stop working your hardest!

congrats plausible on getting into med school! :thumbup:

I was wondering if it is feasible to work a full-time job and still keep up with the work load in the Biomedical Program. The description on there website says that classes take place 3 times a week and is geared towards non-traditional students. Just was wondering if anyone currently in the program has done this.

I was wondering if it is feasible to work a full-time job and still keep up with the work load in the Biomedical Program. The description on there website says that classes take place 3 times a week and is geared towards non-traditional students. Just was wondering if anyone currently in the program has done this.

Yes, there were about 10 or so that started the program with a job, either full or part time. As the year progressed, most people quit or just worked part time... especially when anatomy started. The nature of anatomy requires you to study the cadaver, so you need to be at school more. Also, I'm not saying that you shouldn't work, but just make sure you are able to maintain a high degree of academic excellence (getting nothing less than A's) if you decide to work. The worst thing that could, and should not happen is if you get a C or lower in a course and then wind up quitting your job anyhow. The reason is that yes, the classes are 3 times a week, and yes, there's a lot of free (study) time, but it's going to look real bad to the PCOM adcom if you do poorly because the biomed program is like 1/5th the intensity of a DO course load. Ok, I rambled long enough...

Short answer: yes, it can be done, but not without extreme caution.

Thanks Plausible. Is Anatomy taken in the Fall semester? I will likely be cutting back my hours or quitting all together but I was just wondering when I should. I am a CPA and dont think Tax season and Anatomy would be a good mix :). Thanks again for your help!