pcom certificate program - lots of questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daywalker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my acceptance letter for the pcom biomed program. I have so many questions that hopefully someone can answer. I understand that classes are M, T, R nights. However, how long are you in class for on those days. How many credits is it per semester/what does the tuition end up being. How much studying did you do. Obviously, I am very curious, so would someone fill me in on specifics of the program? I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm still waiting to hear back from pcom right now. do you mind sharing your stats?

lala83 said:
i'm still waiting to hear back from pcom right now. do you mind sharing your stats?

I got a 20 on my MCAT and am currently studying to retake it, and had a 3.5 gpa with a bunch of extra curriculars. I called the office to ask what the average stats were for the program. They said at least a 6 on every section of the mcat and above a 3.0.

Can anyone answer my original posts on the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
daywalker said:
I just got my acceptance letter for the pcom biomed program. I have so many questions that hopefully someone can answer. I understand that classes are M, T, R nights. However, how long are you in class for on those days. How many credits is it per semester/what does the tuition end up being. How much studying did you do. Obviously, I am very curious, so would someone fill me in on specifics of the program? I would really appreciate it!

same here. I got my acceptance last week sometime and I'm absolutely clueless about everything. I'm not even sure what days classes are. From what I've heard they are evening classes usually from 5-9 or 6-9. The whole certificate program is about 29 hrs and its 3 semesters...so I'm guessing its about 10/9 credit hrs per semester. Feel free to correct me here. I've also heard not to take this program lightly...but also that you get enough time to study during the day. Tuition is estimated to be around 20,000 :eek: Again...this is info that I've gathered talking with other SDNers...I havent received anything official from PCOM. Oh btw, I'll be at the GA campus! Anybody else joining me ??

future Dr. Pate said:
same here. I got my acceptance last week sometime and I'm absolutely clueless about everything. I'm not even sure what days classes are. From what I've heard they are evening classes usually from 5-9 or 6-9. The whole certificate program is about 29 hrs and its 3 semesters...so I'm guessing its about 10/9 credit hrs per semester. Feel free to correct me here. I've also heard not to take this program lightly...but also that you get enough time to study during the day. Tuition is estimated to be around 20,000 :eek: Again...this is info that I've gathered talking with other SDNers...I havent received anything official from PCOM. Oh btw, I'll be at the GA campus! Anybody else joining me ??

I am going to the philly campus, but does three semesters mean that we will be in school in the summer as well?

future Dr. Pate said:

future dr. pate did you note the atlanta or philly campus as your first preference on your app?

Let me know if y'all find out anything. Is this the only post-bacc. program y'all applied to?

i applied to more schools, but i have yet to hear back from pcom...hopefully soon though!

lala83 said:
future dr. pate did you note the atlanta or philly campus as your first preference on your app?

I'm from GA, so yes I did pick GA campus as my 1st preference

daywalker said:
I am going to the philly campus, but does three semesters mean that we will be in school in the summer as well?

:rolleyes: umm..not sure. I'm going to email them to see if I get more info. from them. I'll let you guys know if I find out anything!

future Dr. Pate said:
:rolleyes: umm..not sure. I'm going to email them to see if I get more info. from them. I'll let you guys know if I find out anything!

It's probably on a quarter system...which means they will divide the the semester into three sessions (fall, spring, winter), but I'm not sure.

Does any one know how classes are typically scheduled? For example, do you take 1 class on one day or two classes on one day, which classes are taken on what days, and do you take the same classes each day for an entire quarter?

Oh yea, I was right, the classes are on taken on a quarter system. I just called and I also looked at the academic calendar.

Fall Term: Aug. 14-Nov. 10
Winter Term: Nov. 13-Feb. 16
Spring Term: Feb. 19-May 18

Members don't see this ad :)
wow that's awesome that there's 3 terms! i'm planning on applying this year, so schools could potentially see grades from up to 2 terms before the spring (this is all IF i get in that is...)

I know that application deadline for PCOM is July 15. I'm going to take August MCAT, so I won't be ready by then. I was wondering if they accept students for winter term or spring term. If you know, tell me the apps deadline.

how long did it take for you to hear whether or not you were accepted after your application was complete?
the school year is rapidly approaching!
thanks and congrats!

Just incase people were wondering, Term 1 includes Molecular Basis of Medicine and Infectious Diseases. Term 2 is Anatomy and Histology. Term 3 includes Physiology, Neuroscience, and Pharmacology. Total: 29 credits Course descriptions can be found here (page 7 and 8): http://www.pcom.edu/Academic_Programs/catalogs/PCOM05_06cat_79_122.pdf

Molecular Basis of Medicine is on Mondays from 5-9 and Thursday from 5-9. Infectious Processes is on Tuesdays from 5-9.

I see that tuition is about $18,096 (calculation of $624/credit) and the max. Stafford loans for graduate students are totaled $18,500. How are y'all paying for the rest of the expenses? I also know that the apartments in the Suwanee area are quite expensive. Are y'all considering a job?

drjds said:
I see that tuition is about $18,096 (calculation of $624/credit) and the max. Stafford loans for graduate students are totaled $18,500. How are y'all paying for the rest of the expenses? I also know that the apartments in the Suwanee area are quite expensive. Are y'all considering a job?

I'll be living off savings - I'm 35 and changing careers, and working too much really lowered my college GPA. We're looking for 1-2 roommates if we can find the right people (QUIET, NEAT, etc ;) ). Program looks really interesting - I'm assuming the classes will match the Philly program.

Has anyone received a schedule? I confirmed with Nicole that classes start on Aug 14th, but not sure yet if there's an orientation or what needs to be done in advance.

GwinnettPreMed said:
I'll be living off savings - I'm 35 and changing careers, and working too much really lowered my college GPA. We're looking for 1-2 roommates if we can find the right people (QUIET, NEAT, etc ;) ). Program looks really interesting - I'm assuming the classes will match the Philly program.

Has anyone received a schedule? I confirmed with Nicole that classes start on Aug 14th, but not sure yet if there's an orientation or what needs to be done in advance.

I havent received anything either...anxious to start! Anybody fill out any FA papers or applications??

future Dr. Pate said:
I havent received anything either...anxious to start! Anybody fill out any FA papers or applications??

No, not yet, b/c I haven't gotten all my questions answered about this school so I can make a decision b/t its' program and LECOM's. I've been calling and emailing like crazy to PCOM but I haven't gotten any responses. Please let me know if y'all found out anything. Also, Dr. Pate, can you tell me what methods of fin. aid are you planning to use for the Grad. program? Have you found any housing?

Is anyone a URM?
Will anyone be retaking the MCAT? If so, when?
What day do you plan to move to the Atlanta area?

drjds said:
No, not yet, b/c I haven't gotten all my questions answered about this school so I can make a decision b/t its' program and LECOM's. I've been calling and emailing like crazy to PCOM but I haven't gotten any responses. Please let me know if y'all found out anything. Also, Dr. Pate, can you tell me what methods of fin. aid are you planning to use for the Grad. program? Have you found any housing?

Is anyone a URM?

You couldnt get any response?? Did you call Aisha? I don't think admissions would be out for summer weeks at least till the 15th, since that's the deadline. Are you around ATL area??? I would try going there in person, if you are close enough. I am going to be using loans for tuition. I work part-time and have few savings that I can live off for atleast a year. ATL housing is EXPENSIVE...esp. suwanee. I'm still debating if I want to move closer to school or commute 75 miles for 3 days back and forth :eek: With gas prices rising and atl traffic, I'm screwed either way. If I get into PCOM for '07 D.O class then I might just go ahead and invest in a place of my own. I've looked around but havent found any apts that were cheaper than 900 for 2 bed/2 bath.

URM?- I wish Indians were URM...but unfortunately for me..we are an over-represented minority in med.
MCAT?- waiting to see if I get any luck w/ '07 DO class. If not, then I might take it again next yr. Def. not taking the AUG one.
Moving?- undecided :rolleyes: :confused:

Drdjs--what exactly are your questions? Maybe some of us here can help you out

future Dr. Pate said:
You couldnt get any response?? Did you call Aisha? I don't think admissions would be out for summer weeks at least till the 15th, since that's the deadline. Are you around ATL area??? I would try going there in person, if you are close enough. I am going to be using loans for tuition. I work part-time and have few savings that I can live off for atleast a year. ATL housing is EXPENSIVE...esp. suwanee. I'm still debating if I want to move closer to school or commute 75 miles for 3 days back and forth :eek: With gas prices rising and atl traffic, I'm screwed either way. If I get into PCOM for '07 D.O class then I might just go ahead and invest in a place of my own. I've looked around but havent found any apts that were cheaper than 900 for 2 bed/2 bath.

URM?- I wish Indians were URM...but unfortunately for me..we are an over-represented minority in med.
MCAT?- waiting to see if I get any luck w/ '07 DO class. If not, then I might take it again next yr. Def. not taking the AUG one.
Moving?- undecided :rolleyes: :confused:

Drdjs--what exactly are your questions? Maybe some of us here can help you out

Well good for you (talking about your savings from your job). No, I am not anywhere near Atlanta, so I can't go talk to her personally. I did, however get an email back from her. My main questions were about the guarenteed interview and the GPA/MCAT that must be maintained to get an interview from the post-bacc. program. I also wanted to know how a typical schedule of classes would be for each day/week. She didn't answer my question about this, she told me that she would forward my question to someone else. I know Suwanee is expensive, therefore, I need more than the Stafford Loans to help me pay for expenses. Do anybody have any suggestions?

My main questions were about the guarenteed interview and the GPA/MCAT that must be maintained to get an interview from the post-bacc. program.

What was her answer to that question? I thought nothing was guaranteed, but majority end up getting an interview w/ 3.0 or 3.5...however, I could very well be wrong.

I wish they would hurry up and get the schedule/ classes sorted out for us!

I am attending the Biomed Porgram this fall. Classes will be Mon., Tue. and Thursday from 5 - 9 pm. I had applied to the DO program and did not get in. I was told by the admissions office that my MCATS 27Q were fine but my undergraduate gpa from 1997 was "a little low". Now I am thinking of entering a P.A. program, but I am still going through with the biomed program to increase my chances of acceptance.

I talked with a recent graduate from the Biomed certificate program and she got into the DO program for this year. She had great things to say about it. I asked her about books for the first trimester and she reccomended that I only need the immunology book. So I went ahead and ordered it online used so I can get started now.

PCOM is nice. Everyone their seems happy and is more than happy to be of help.

I have talked with one DO graduate from PCOM and found him to be very friendly and knowledgible as well.

Be sure to send in your financial aid packet and health forms. I had to go in a couple times for an xray (already exposed to TB) and fast 12 hours for a blood test.

I also filled out health insurance forms and switched my credit card to a 0 percent financing for one year balance transfer. Just something to think about.

Does anyone know if there is time for a part time job or volunteer work? or is it as intense as they say?

future Dr. Pate said:
My main questions were about the guarenteed interview and the GPA/MCAT that must be maintained to get an interview from the post-bacc. program.

What was her answer to that question? I thought nothing was guaranteed, but majority end up getting an interview w/ 3.0 or 3.5...however, I could very well be wrong.

I wish they would hurry up and get the schedule/ classes sorted out for us!

This is Aisha's response:

I believe in making your decision weighs heavily on location as well as
good fit. Those that go into the post -bac program are guaranteed an
interview into the DO program. The averages for those students that are
accepted have a general MCAT score of 24, GPA 3.4 (Composite of
undergrad and grad). Of course having the post-bac under your belt
boosts those grades because it shows that you can do graduate level
work
as it pertains to the medical field.

In regards to classes I will forward your email to Dr. Gary Watson who
is the Director of Basic Sciences and can give you details regarding
that. If you would like to contact him as well his email address is
[email protected]. I hope this helps some.

Please contact me if you have other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Aisha

Aisha I. DeBerry
Admissions Coordinator/Student Recruiter

Georgia Campus Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
625 Old Peachtree Road
Suwanee, GA 30024

678.225.7509 (fax)

Thanks for sharing that. One more reason to attend PCOM

drjds said:

Is anyone a URM?

I got their initial aid packet and filled out the FAFSA online several weeks ago, but haven't gotten a response from PCOM. I'll be calling this week. I'll post if I receive any info that might be useful. I took the MCAT 11 years ago and plan to retake as early as possible next year.

GwinnettPreMed said:
I got their initial aid packet and filled out the FAFSA online several weeks ago, but haven't gotten a response from PCOM. I'll be calling this week. I'll post if I receive any info that might be useful. I took the MCAT 11 years ago and plan to retake as early as possible next year.

Are you planning on taking the MCAT in January 2007 or August 2006?

For those of you will be doing the post-bacc. program, do y'all planning on applying for the 2007 year or 2008 year? Which would be the best advantage?

drjds said:
Are you planning on taking the MCAT in January 2007 or August 2006?

I'm planning on Jan 2007. Want to be sure to allow time to prepare fully and I hope that some of the Molecular Basis of Med material will overlap with the MCAT material. I'm undecided whether to apply for 2007, or wait for 2008. Hoping to get more info to make a decision once I start the biomed program.

GwinnettPreMed said:
I'm planning on Jan 2007. Want to be sure to allow time to prepare fully and I hope that some of the Molecular Basis of Med material will overlap with the MCAT material. I'm undecided whether to apply for 2007, or wait for 2008. Hoping to get more info to make a decision once I start the biomed program.

This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. If I decide to go here, maybe we can study together. Have you decided what you will do about housing?

drjds said:
This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. If I decide to go here, maybe we can study together. Have you decided what you will do about housing?

Studying together sounds good. I own a house in Buford, around 5 mi. North of school (PCOM-GA). We're looking for a roommate if we can find the right person - please PM me if you'd like more info on that.

GwinnettPreMed said:
Studying together sounds good. I own a house in Buford, around 5 mi. North of school (PCOM-GA). We're looking for a roommate if we can find the right person - please PM me if you'd like more info on that.

Yea let me know the details. If you have any pics, please email them to ([email protected]). What is the price range? How many people are planning staying there? Are you a male or female?