PCOM Certificate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notnarcsDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any success stories from the PCOM Certificate of Biomedical Sciences program?? I was told that this would be a good post-bacc for PCOM if I do not get in this year...it is my top choice. If anyone has had success with getting accepted into PCOM through this program, please tell!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about your questions. I want to point out that besides for any admission advantage an added benefit is the huge advantage in your first year & then on the boards.

notnarcsDO said:
Any success stories from the PCOM Certificate of Biomedical Sciences program?? I was told that this would be a good post-bacc for PCOM if I do not get in this year...it is my top choice. If anyone has had success with getting accepted into PCOM through this program, please tell!

Hi there,

I went to Saint Joseph's University which is right down the rode from PCOM. To what I understand, the Biological Science program makes you take classes that are comparable to what the med students are taking.

I beleive that if you get at least a C+ in all of your classes, PCOM will grant you an interview. Most of the folks who get the interview also get into PCOM I heard.

But it's got to be harder than this. I have applied to PCOM and haven't heard anything from them so far.

Good luck and God speed you safe and sound.
C&C

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment on exactly how hard it is to get in after the bio-med program....but there are definitely a lot of previous biomeds in my class right now (MSI at PCOM). The ones that I am friends with are doing EXTREMELY WELL in classes so far, as this year is basically a total repeat of the bio-med program. The only people I know who can afford to just study the week before a test while going out to the bars in the previous weeks and still get A's were biomeds...

My point here is that you definitely do get a very solid backround for medical school through this program on top of a great chance to get accepted in the first place.

bump
Is anyone else attending this program? Or at least considering it like me? Any current/former students are welcome to comment as well. Please....

I did the certificate program and got mostly B's. The first year I interviewed and was waitlisted, then rejected; they held my application and I got in the next year. If you do this program try to get the highest grades possible: I know that sounds obvious, but A's will help you and they will seriously question C's. It is my impression that most people with a 3.0 or higher get in.

HopeFaith said:
bump
Is anyone else attending this program? Or at least considering it like me? Any current/former students are welcome to comment as well. Please....

I recently finished the PCOM biomedical program with a a good number of my classmates. The program is no joke, it's pretty rigorous and time consuming. But, if you bust your ass and maintain a good gpa, 3.0ish and above, your chances of getting into the DO program are very good.

Almost everyone I know got in this year... so take that for what its worth

I opted to do a 2nd year as a masters then apply....so if anyone has any questions about the research track, i can help

It's a great program and curriculum..

if anyone needs any info, pm me and ill try to answer your questions.

I took the biomed program in '04-'05 and I think it was one of the best things I could have done. I got A's and B's as a biomed and joined a lot of clubs. I had plenty of time to balance all my responsibilities. As I told someone else, my personal approach was to not work, but rather become very involved with the clubs so as to show PCOM that I was dedicated to the institution. I feel that if you do this (and have a good MCAT score), you stand an extremely high chance of being accepted the following year. I did take the program seriously and worked hard for my grades, but it's very manageable. As a D.O. student I was all the more confident and prepared for having been a biomed.

PS- Thanks Taus...

I was wondering, does anyone know if the PCOM program prepares you for the MCAT? if not, what do you think they consider an average MCAT score? :confused:

I have sent in all of my materials for application to Georgia-campus PCOM. I am really excited about the program and pray that I get in. Why did you decide to continue with the masters as opposed to certificate only? I know that I don't have to decide right now but what are the pros and cons of certificate vs. masters. Overall did you enjoy your first year? What are the professors like?
:) Thank you.
ThePersianJew said:
I recently finished the PCOM biomedical program with a a good number of my classmates. The program is no joke, it's pretty rigorous and time consuming. But, if you bust your ass and maintain a good gpa, 3.0ish and above, your chances of getting into the DO program are very good.

Almost everyone I know got in this year... so take that for what its worth

I opted to do a 2nd year as a masters then apply....so if anyone has any questions about the research track, i can help

It's a great program and curriculum..

if anyone needs any info, pm me and ill try to answer your questions.

jawrigh1 said:
I have sent in all of my materials for application to Georgia-campus PCOM. I am really excited about the program and pray that I get in. Why did you decide to continue with the masters as opposed to certificate only? I know that I don't have to decide right now but what are the pros and cons of certificate vs. masters. Overall did you enjoy your first year? What are the professors like?
:) Thank you.

I've applied to GA-PCOM biomed as well. I havent heard from them though! I visited the school last Thursday and met up w/ Aisha. I was told that they will let me know by phone/email whenever they decide. Have u heard anything from them??? When I had called couple of weeks ago...the class wasnt full and they were expecting about 40 students in this program. I have tons of Q's too--classes, profs, etc. Are you applying to DO schools for '07 ?? I'm so excited about this--I hope I get in too! :D

future Dr. Pate said:
I've applied to GA-PCOM biomed as well. I havent heard from them though! I visited the school last Thursday and met up w/ Aisha. I was told that they will let me know by phone/email whenever they decide. Have u heard anything from them??? When I had called couple of weeks ago...the class wasnt full and they were expecting about 40 students in this program. I have tons of Q's too--classes, profs, etc. Are you applying to DO schools for '07 ?? I'm so excited about this--I hope I get in too! :D
Hi! I submitted all of my materials two weeks ago. Someone from the school e-mailed me and asked to call her. When I called she asked me if I intended to apply for the Fall 2006 or Fall 2007 semester. Apparently, they were still accepting applications. However, I am applying to the Fall 2007 semester class. I am excited about the prospects of entering their program. I also intend to apply to OSU Bridge Program but I haven't submitted all of my materials yet. My first choice is PCOM which is why I worked so hard to complete their application. Please keep in touch. It's good to know that someone is anxiously waiting like I am. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
emidesu said:
I did the certificate program and got mostly B's. The first year I interviewed and was waitlisted, then rejected; they held my application and I got in the next year. If you do this program try to get the highest grades possible: I know that sounds obvious, but A's will help you and they will seriously question C's. It is my impression that most people with a 3.0 or higher get in.

Did you have less than a 3.0 in the Biomed. Program? Did you have to go through the whole process again or did they just accept you the next year after looking at your application? What did you do between after you did not get accepted?

HopeFaith said:
bump

Just received my acceptance letter today :) I guess I'll be attending the GA campus...considering that I only applied 2 weeks ago, I'm very pleased with the result. I didnt think I would get in since it was too late. That shows how much I know!! Anyone else starting GA Biomed this year??? I know I am not the only one!

future Dr. Pate said:
Just received my acceptance letter today :) I guess I'll be attending the GA campus...considering that I only applied 2 weeks ago, I'm very pleased with the result. I didnt think I would get in since it was too late. That shows how much I know!! Anyone else starting GA Biomed this year??? I know I am not the only one!

Well, I maybe...I am trying to decide b/t this program and the LECOM program...what do you think?

drjds said:
Well, I maybe...I am trying to decide b/t this program and the LECOM program...what do you think?

I dont know much about the LECOM program, so can't really comment on it. I picked PCOM b/c...

1. location (I want to stay in GA)
2. PCOM-GA is my first choice for D.O...already have my AACOMAS out for 2008...so doing a biomed here would help me out a lil.
3. Experience--Very Very friendly administration and staff. I had called them to see if I even had a shot at this program. They were extremely nice--transferred me straight to Dr. Mathioki (spelling :confused: ) and he took 15-20 to talk to me and tell me about the program...left a great impression on me! I personally went and dropped off my LORs and Essay and few other things, because I wanted to see the school. I spoke to Aisha DeBerry and again...very pleasant and friendly staff and adcom. I was told that I would be notified as soon as the adcom meets and that took exactly 8 days!
4. previous students speak very highly of this program

Hope this helps!

how long after pcom had your completed application did you hear about your acceptance?

My application was complete in early May and I heard back in late June (PCOM-Philly)

hopesofmedicine said:
how long after pcom had your completed application did you hear about your acceptance?
I received acceptance letter in mail in exactly 8 days. My file was completed on Thursday, I confirmed it the following Monday and I had the acceptance letter on that Friday. (GA campus)

Are y'all applying for the 2007 or 2008 year for medical school?

notnarcsDO said:

I got my acceptance today via telephone. :D I don't have much information but school starts in three weeks so I have lots to do.

hopesofmedicine said:

I originally applied for admissions into Fall 2007 class but was told that they still had space left for 2006. So I jumped at the opportunity and had my application reviewed this week. All of my stuff was in by June 20 so all I had to do was send an e-mail stating that I wanted to change the term for which I was applying. I did this Tuesday, July 18th and received acceptance via telephone today, July 20. That's two days. :thumbup: :D

does anyone know the classload you will be taking?

I'm in the program right now. As far as I know, they haven't changed the class load in the past few years, so this is what we do now. It's done on a trimester schedule, Mon, Tues, Thur from 5-9.

1st tri - Molecular Basis of Med (biochem, mol bio, cell bio, etc), and Infectious Process (micro, immuno, viro)

2nd tri - Histology and Anatomy (w/ cadaver lab)

3rd tri - Neurology, Physiology, Pharmacology

Classes are all run by the same profs as the DO program, in fact most powerpoint lectures are the same. Can't say for sure, but I've heard all the same rumors as everyone else - keep Bs or better and you're good...though the classes are no joke.

would it hurt my chances of getting into an Allopathic school if I attended PCOM certificate program? do most of the people that finish the program end up going D.O.? PCOM program seems equivalent to the kind of rigor that MD schools would look for as well, but i'm not sure...