PCOM dean's letter requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm contacting the dean of my old school this week for the PCOM letter. What exactly should I ask them to put in it? That I was in good academic standing when I attended college, that I did indeed graduate?? :confused: I had to get a letter like this for grad school but I believe the grad school provded a form. Does PCOM do that?

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM doesn't provide a form. I believe a letter containing such information "that you were a student in good standing, with no academic discipline, and that you graduated on (date) with a (degree) in (major) with honors"

However, it never hurts to call the admission office and ask exactly what they are looking for.

I'm contacting the dean of my old school this week for the PCOM letter. What exactly should I ask them to put in it? That I was in good academic standing when I attended college, that I did indeed graduate?? :confused: I had to get a letter like this for grad school but I believe the grad school provded a form. Does PCOM do that?

You are sending in a Dean letter instead of one from a premed committee or advisor?

Members don't see this ad :)
if your school doesn't have a premed committee or you are using a premed committe that is not your undergrad (post bac) You need a dean's letter from your original undergrad saying you were in good academic standing and such. It isn't a recommendation more or a certification. Thats why it doesnt matter if the dean knows you

I sent a letter from my dean (undergrad) and they were perfectly happy with it.

Marcia

I planning on applying to PCOM as well, but I dont understand why they would want a letter from a dean, if everything the dean will say can be seen in the primary application. My school doesnt have a premedical commitee and I have never gone to see my pre-med advisor (big school of over 30,000 students, most of whom seem to be pre-med/pre-dental/pre-pharm, so pre-med advisor wouldnt really remember me if I did). I have great letters from professors, one of which I worked with as a peer leader for a program she ran. Why cant I send those in?

I planning on applying to PCOM as well, but I dont understand why they would want a letter from a dean, if everything the dean will say can be seen in the primary application. My school doesnt have a premedical commitee and I have never gone to see my pre-med advisor (big school of over 30,000 students, most of whom seem to be pre-med/pre-dental/pre-pharm, so pre-med advisor wouldnt really remember me if I did). I have great letters from professors, one of which I worked with as a peer leader for a program she ran. Why cant I send those in?

a lot of grad schools ask for the same thing. it's just part of the process. your dean will have written these things before, sojust go get it and don't lose too much time pondering it. med school admissions is just one hoop after another. no logic to it sometimes :)