PCOM, DO- NJ, DO-New England

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckymed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of u familiar with the admission process orknow any info in regarding the 3 DO schools above.

I have not hear from PCOM since they send me a notification of completeness in early NOvember.

No words from the osteopathic school in New Jersey after I sumbitted the secodary, not even a notice of completeness yet.

Absolutely No words from the osteopathic school of New England in Maine and they did not even send me their secondary except they send me a letter their new requirement of Biochem.

Any info will be appreciate. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone has heard anything either I would like to know as well. I submitted secondaries to the same schools and have heard NOTHING. I like what these DO programs have to offer but honestly, the lack of communication is a big turn off to me. Let me know if anyone gets anything in the mail.

fred

I also applied to PCOM and UMDNJ (New Jersey) and have heard nothing from them. Since I live in Jersey, and they were the first to recieve a secondary from me I am very surprised that I have not heard from them. I haven't heard from PCOM yet either. I have been accepted at NYCOM and have received interviews at LECOM and KCOM...all before hearing from UMDNJ and PCOM... and they got my secondaries way before the rest. I am also extremely turned off by not hearing from them. I had to call them to be sure that my apps were complete...they didn't send anything to confirm. I do know that UMDNJ only reviews apps once a month, and so sends out invites for interviews only once a month. The review is always at the end of the month (a little early in Dec. because of the holidays...Dec. 21st). So if you haven't heard from them you haven't been rejected, you just got pushed to the next review which is not great, but not bad either. So, good luck to all still waiting and congrats to those who have heard. Have a great New Year!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at NJ on November 28 and got accepted a couple of weeks ago. I am a NJ resident, so that might have something to do with it. I also got accepted into NYCOM, BUT haven't heard from PCOM yet. I think maybe it may be b/c I didn't send a letter of rec from a DO, and then I heard through the grapevine that they require a DO rec. I didn't see that on the secondary app. Did everyone else send a DO rec????

I sent at least one letter from a D.O. to every school I applied to.

5 apps, 5 interview offers.

2 completed interviews, 2 acceptances.

I think it is a very important piece of the application, especially for PCOM...an older D.O. school.

I don't think a D.O. letter matters THAT much JP :) I'm sure the rest of your application was good as well, and the letters just helped round it out. I am an MS-I at UNECOM, and applied to 4 D.O. schools. I received secondaries from all 4, sent back 3 of them, and was accepted at all 3 by November. I did not send a D.O. letter to MSUCOM or UNECOM, nor any physician letter. I did send a D.O. letter to LECOM, but only because it was required, and the letter was from an ER doc who barely knew me. I didn't send any physician letters to the other two schools I interviewed at (one in-state MD and one out-of-state MD) and was accepted there too. So don't anyone fret and scramble to get to know a physician based on the assumption that you need a physician recommendation to get into medical school, because with good credentials, you'll get in anyway. (And some luck...have you figured out yet that luck has a little more to do with the process than it should :) )

Good luck to everyone, and pick a school that you will BE HAPPY AT!! Med school is much easier when you are content with your surroundings and have access to whatever it is that makes you happy. I have the ocean a few minutes away and mountains a couple hours, two places that clear my head.

In both of my interviews I was asked about my experience shadowing a D.O.

Now, if I had not had the opportunity, I would probably not have been asked about it.

True, the letter itself may not be as important as having something to talk about in an interview.

I just think that a solid letter from a Doc who either knows you or has spent time with you cannot hurt.

Best of luck to all!