PCOM DO-PhD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tracy34

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering combined DO-PhD, that seems like a really attractive option to me. The PCOM DO-PhD program looks really good (of course it's competitive too). I have a few questions about Ostepathic medicine:
1. Why is the number or people and institutions practicing osteopathic medicine so small?
2. Why are the requirements lower for ostepathic medicine than MD if there is no salary discreprency as stated in the FAQ?

I really just want to help people, and any doctor of medicine-scientist degree looks attractive to me. If given the opportunity to pursue a PhD I would like to do it in Molecular Cell Biology or Pathology. I have posted before asking about transfering, but I truly wasn't very informed about osteopathy. Right now my life situation is pretty bad, but my only inspiration right now is to become a doctor to help people.
Also, are ostepathic schools more accepting of Community college prereqs than are allpathic schools?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

tracy34 said:
I am considering combined DO-PhD, that seems like a really attractive option to me. The PCOM DO-PhD program looks really good (of course it's competitive too). I have a few questions about Ostepathic medicine:
1. Why is the number or people and institutions practicing osteopathic medicine so small?
2. Why are the requirements lower for ostepathic medicine than MD if there is no salary discreprency as stated in the FAQ?

I really just want to help people, and any doctor of medicine-scientist degree looks attractive to me. If given the opportunity to pursue a PhD I would like to do it in Molecular Cell Biology or Pathology. I have posted before asking about transfering, but I truly wasn't very informed about osteopathy. Right now my life situation is pretty bad, but my only inspiration right now is to become a doctor to help people.
Also, are ostepathic schools more accepting of Community college prereqs than are allpathic schools?
thanks

Good Questions! I wish that I could answer any of them...

tracy34 said:

thanks

Hi, just to comment on the PCOM DO/Phd program, it is a Phd in Health Policy rather than in hard sciences. you can read about the program on the schools site.

http://www.pcom.edu/Academic_Programs/aca_do/Degree_Programs_DO_PhD/degree_programs_do_phd.html

I myself am interested in the possibility of doing a Phd program within a redidency program.

hey tracy.. there's a really good book out by Norman Gevitz called "The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America". it talks about the history of osteopathic medicine. it's a really fast read and very informative.
but i can try to answer some of your questions.. be forewarned that my answers are pretty superficial.
1. osteopathy is a relatively new (compared to allo) practice.. it's only been around for a little over 100 years i believe. each year, i think each school graduates only 100 - 200 doctors and since there are only about 22 accredited DO schools in the nation, that doesn't come out to much DOs in the whole US.
2. DO schools say that the reason their requirements are lower is cuz they like to look at a person as a whole and that numbers don't determine what kind of doctor someone will be. so basically, just because someone does bad on the MCAT and that person may have also had a bad semester or two which was virtually impossible for them to get out of, doesn't mean that (s)he would make a bad doctor. there's no discrepancy in their salaries because the curriculum for DOs are just as good as those of MDs...

i think the only bad thing bout getting a DO degree as opposed to an MD degree is that depending on which residency you want to do, it MIGHT (i capped it cuz i know some people are gonna wanna hound my ass after i say this) be harder to get in. I HEARD (and this is from my brother, who goes to NYCOM) that for some programs, they look through a batch of MDs, then DOs, and then international students. BUT he also told me that for a lot of programs, they mix the DO and MD applicants.. so it's all good.

as far as being more accepting of community colleges, i dunno bout that.

well i hope that helped.. and if i've mistaken with any facts, then anyone should feel free to correct me. :smuggrin:

tracy34 said:

thanks